Vintage Tama Superstar Appreciation Thread

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I owned a 1982 Superstar set in natural maple finish for several years. It was one of the better sounding sets I recall owning. The best part of owning this particular set, however, was getting to take it down to Jerry Jenkins' place and leave it for him as his last set to play before he passed. We were able to communicate often in the few weeks he had my set, and he sent me pics of him playing it that still bring joy to me. It was 13-16-24 in traditional depths.

jerry 1.jpg
jerry 2.jpg

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a nice thing to do.

I owned a 1982 Superstar set in natural maple finish for several years. It was one of the better sounding sets I recall owning. The best part of owning this particular set, however, was getting to take it down to Jerry Jenkins' place and leave it for him as his last set to play before he passed. We were able to communicate often in the few weeks he had my set, and he sent me pics of him playing it that still bring joy to me. It was 13-16-24 in traditional depths.

View attachment 406455View attachment 406456

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am the extremely blessed owner of two of these kits both are 22/12/13/16 in standard depths one is Super Mahogany and the other Super Maple both kits came with complete hardware ups and the mahogany's even had the brown upholstered Tama Titan throne with them. Mahogany kit was a dusty time capsule the super maple needed some work but they cleaned up beautifully.... I will find pics and post later this evening. Awesome thread here!

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 12 inch Tom wasn't finished when the Super maple pics were taken. Otherwise here they both are.

Attachments

Last edited:

superunknown

Reaction score
Hello superunknown I paid 25$ cash for the 24" cherry wine superstar bass
it was complete and in good condition with minor scratches and scuffs and some random clouding

for that very same 25$ I also got a bunch of Pearl export drums
a Mapex snare and three or four Tama cymbal stands
I was pretty happy to be the first caller the seller was a nice guy
and he knew the 25.00 bucks was a total giveaway
As we were loading my vehicle we were talking and he mentioned he was looking for a Casio or Yamaha type keyboard for has daughter
I had a fairly nice one at my shop that I found in a tag sale
so I dropped that off to him a few days later.

It was a few years later I found a near mint 18" floor tom in a like new fiber case on my local Craig's list for 100.00 So the bass and the 18" came to me cheap
but all those other toms I bought and had shipped from Oregon
Including this matching Mastercraft snare drum which was about 375.00 plus the ship all by itself
I still have not replaced the one oddball Art star lug
and I am told I most likely have others that are not far from failure
View attachment 406446
All told with heads I bet I spent twelve to thirteen hundred piecing that kit together
but it was fun project just the same. and they really are "Super" drums
Wow $25 for a 24" Kick. Thats insane. Great score! I hope I can be that lucky

bri-guy730

Reaction score
Does anybody on here know anything about the Superstar timbales? Looking through the old catalogs I can find online they only appear to have been made in the mahogany finish? Can anybody confirm or deny this? Were they only 13” and 14”? Thanks for any info you can provide!

chillybase

Reaction score
I am finally able to post after dealing with some glitches. The first pic is when I picked up this set of Super Maples a few years ago. Below is the set as it is now. I am the fourth owner and this is definitely a player's set. The 12 and 14 inch Xtras were cut down. I've swapped out some hardware. The Ludwig Atlas mounts and Inde mounts are compatible with the toms/floor toms without drilling. I did drill into the bass drum to use the Atlas mounts but it already had a hole for an XLR jack from a previous owner.

Originally came as 22x16, 18x16, 14x13, 12x11. The first owner of this set sent me photos and it used to be a double bass setup with lots of toms, roto toms, etc.

Added a 16x16 and cut down the 14 and 12. I don't use the 18" floor tom and I'd like to convert it into a bass drum or trade for an 18" bass drum. I haven't decided yet.

My drummer and longtime friend was the owner before me. I bought after he passed away from a heart condition. That's when I started to learn to play drums. My original plan was to learn to be like Dave Grohl but then I enjoyed playing along to hip hop beats more. So the kit has gone through changes. I think as my playing has progressed, I've realized that I'd like this to be a smaller kit. Also, back problems in my 40s.

70271958_10156999599227732_5678723368413560832_n.jpg
70784170_10156999599462732_6621178431700729856_o.jpg

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score

View attachment 406455View attachment 406456
Nice pics! I'm actually the current owner of this kit (got it from DanRH). It sounds great on pretty much everything, and it's definitely extra-special knowing that it passed through the hands of a legend like Jerry.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wasn't specifically looking to add this 14x8 snare to my Super Maple CT kit. But one popped up for sale this past week from the original owner. Would still like to find the 12" CT for this kit too but would probably need a 6" as well to utilize another double tom stand. Not in any hurry.

best 1.jpg
best1.jpg

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score

chillybase

Reaction score
Is that a 20/14/12 Super Maple? I think those are my ideal sizes. I know there's been discussion on this site about those sizes.

My kit is just slightly bigger.

The 12 inch Tom wasn't finished when the Super maple pics were taken. Otherwise here they both are.

TPC

Reaction score
That’s the one drum that I’m on the lookout for. Please don’t hesitate to let us know what you think, how it sounds at various tunings, ...

Latest posts