Vintage Tama Superstar birch snare with KG duel action strainer

laporte48

Reaction score
I've owned my Tama Superstar drums with matching birch snare since 1980 and never see these birch drums pictured with a matching birch snare with the duel action free floating KG snare strainer. Nor have I seen a snare with that combo for sale anywhere. That strainer is always shown on a steel King Beat snare. The drum sets in catalogs of that era were shown with the steel King Beat snare drums.
Does anyone else own the birch Superstar with a KG strainer? If so, do have a picture you'd like to share?

Attachments

laporte48

Reaction score
Snooter said:
Great combo, birch and the KG strainer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-ORIGINAL-TAMA-SUPERSTAR-KINGBEAT-ROSEWOOD-5-X-14-SNARE-DRUM-GREAT-COND-/311460416641?hash=item48847ccc81:g:jYgAAOSwFnFWFVbS

Also today I found this on ebay, and it states that this drum was made special for John Panozzo of Styx.
I wonder why this system of tension of the wires and distance from the head is not used on most drums. It enables you to get an articulate yet dark woody sound by dropping them down or raising them up for a most traditional sound. In the sixties I had a Ludwig Super-sensitive and Rogers Dyna-sonic and they both had similar methods of snare tension.