Vintage TAMA superstar jazz set - light finish

SJ Flos

Reaction score
I have to depart from the big love of my life - my TAMA superstar drumkit 1980's ? (I started working in factories in school holidays when I was 15 - so i could buy my drum and zildjians.) it's been on the attic now for 20 years. Time to let somebody use it.

But what can you ask for a kit like this? Small 20 inch bass 14 inch steel snare (Imperial star) 12 inch tom and 14 inch floor tom). How do I check it's real age. What are current prices...

Plus my cymbals, high hat, crash... bags - boxes...

All in mint condition - here and there some marks and the chrome could have a cleaning...

(I live in The Netherlands ...)
cheers
Stefan

Attachments

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That kit is gorgeous! I’d love to own it, but I probably don’t have the dough.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Hoj from Duitsland! Without knowing your cymbals I would suggest somewhere around 600-700 € for the shell set. There are some Superstars even with your finish on german "ebay-kleinanzeigen". I don`t think it`s a good time to sell drums.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a scarce kit. Probably 1977-1978 but with more serial numbers might be able to nail it down more. Old style drum mufflers with triangular metal base. The old style floor tom legs with spin washer. The snare stand is the older style "space age" lightweight Spartan stand. Those are very collectible on their own. Other stands are Tama Titans. If you have the early thin shells with re-rings even a bigger plus. I've never seen one of those thin shells on the superstars, just the imperialstars which are much more common with re-rings ('76-'81).

Floor tom alone is under great demand since so few exist in 14x14. $400-$800 which could literally get in a bidding war on Ebay. Same for the 20" bass drum. I've seen more super maple bop kits with the 18" bass drum. The 20" could be rarer. Not sure which brings more. Seen the 18's fetch in the $500-$700 range. The 12 in tom 12x8 at $150 is available enough, unless it has re-rings....then considerably more. The Imperialstar snare is the Kingbeat model, again an early version....$200-$300. Condition matters and could swing the value of the drums by many hundreds of dollars. You'll get considerably less for the kit kept all together. And it's certainly within reason that if the next "owner" buys it intact, that they immediately proceed to break it up. With the snare drum I'd value the 4 piece shell pack at $1200-$1500 (ie actual buyers in that range). Hardware $150-$200. Cymbals dependent on their vintage but in the $400 range for 1960's to 80's Zildjian A's. I saw a bop kit sell on Ebay last year (3 pc) and I think it was around $1200-$1400. Don't recall exactly. For every 50-100 regular super maple Tama's there might be one such kit like yours. I see them show up once or twice per year at most....always in Super Maple (?). IIRC that's the only finish they offered them in. You should be able to find a buyer for the kit less cymbals. Those I would sell separately unless you want half price on them when married to the kit.

Hardware looks mixed. The hi hat stand looks later like 1979-1984. And the cymbal stands are the Titan models. Bass pedal I don't recognize as a Tama. It's cool that your kit has the original ambassador coated drum heads with Tama ink stamps as seen in the 1977-1978 catalogs....very nice. Most of those are LONG gone. If the serial numbers are also pretty close....another plus. I'm not even in the market for such a kit. Yet, would pay $1000+ for the shell pack in excellent condition. All my numbers are based on the USA market. No idea what the demand is in Europe.

One of the issues here is that so many bop kits are now made new in maple and birch....you can get one from Gretsch, Ludwig, etc. for a lot less than this vintage Tama Superstar. Then again, yours is collectible and theirs are not. How many people want a "birch" bop kit? It's likely a lot less than those who want maple plies. Regardless, cool kit, with a great following no matter "how down" the market may be at any particular time. It's always a good time to sell drum kits like this one. Go find another.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 20" kick IS rare; I'm lucky enough to have one myself in Super Maple (high gloss), but mine is definitely the shell without the re-rings. There are a lot of fans of Super Maple and I see why; it looks very nice. I think the OP will be pleased with the prices he gets.

Dan

Browny

Reaction score
That's a scarce kit. Probably 1977-1978 but with more serial numbers might be able to nail it down more. Old style drum mufflers with triangular metal base. The old style floor tom legs with spin washer. The snare stand is the older style "space age" lightweight Spartan stand. Those are very collectible on their own. Other stands are Tama Titans. If you have the early thin shells with re-rings even a bigger plus. I've never seen one of those thin shells on the superstars, just the imperialstars which are much more common with re-rings ('76-'81).

Floor tom alone is under great demand since so few exist in 14x14. $400-$800 which could literally get in a bidding war on Ebay. Same for the 20" bass drum. I've seen more super maple bop kits with the 18" bass drum. The 20" could be rarer. Not sure which brings more. Seen the 18's fetch in the $500-$700 range. The 12 in tom 12x8 at $150 is available enough, unless it has re-rings....then considerably more. The Imperialstar snare is the Kingbeat model, again an early version....$200-$300. Condition matters and could swing the value of the drums by many hundreds of dollars. You'll get much less for the kit kept together. With the snare drum I'd value the 4 piece shell pack at $1200-$1500 (ie actual buyers in that range). Hardware $150-$200. Cymbals dependent on their vintage but in the $400 range for 1960's to 80's Zildjian A's. I saw a bop kit sell on Ebay last year (3 pc) and I think it was around $1200-$1400. Don't recall exactly. For every 50-100 regular super maple Tama's there might be one such kit like yours. I see them show up once or twice per year at most....always in Super Maple. IIRC that's the only finish they offered them in. You should be able to find a buyer for the kit less cymbals. Those I would sell separately unless you want half price on them when married to the kit.

Hardware looks mixed. The hi hat stand looks later like 1979-1984. And the cymbal stands are the Titan models. Bass pedal I don't recognize as a Tama. It's cool that your kit has the original ambassador coated drum heads with Tama ink stamps as seen in the 1977-1978 catalogs....very nice. Most of those are LONG gone. If the serial numbers are also pretty close....another plus. I'm not even in the market for such a kit. Yet, would pay $1000+ for the shell pack in excellent condition. All my numbers are based on the USA market. No idea what demand is in Europe.

One of the issues here is that so many bop kits are now made new in maple and birch....you can get one from Gretsch, Ludwig, etc. for a lot less than this vintage Tama Superstar. Then again, yours is collectible and theirs are not. How many people want a "birch" bop kit? It's likely a lot less than those who want maple plies. Regardless, cool kit, with a great following no matter "how down" the market may be at any particular time. It's always a good time to sell drums kits like this one. Go find another. A lot of dealers out there buy such kits only to break them up....selling each piece to the highest bidder world wide.
I used to have a set of Superstars, but in a battle scarred 'Super Mahogany' finish and bigger sizes (24x14, 12x8, 13x9, 14x10, 16x16). I had a go at dating them and thought 1980. Shells with re-rings but no mufflers, still had that same kind of tom mount but a more overbuilt version and the tube on the mount must have been 600mmor longer, crazy. I'm trying to remember the floor tom leg brackets... they weren't great but were pretty simple. I think I had to do the same thing I've done with my radio kings and make 'memory locks' using hose clamps to stop them sliding.

Awesome drums, wish I still had them. They don't pop up very often down here and when they do it's often a later kit... power toms in that red finish... no thanks.

Also... how cool is this? Black dots and all.
TAMAELVIN2.jpg

TPC

Reaction score
That 20” bass drum is highly coveted. I know because I’ve been looking for one for years. Great set!

SJ Flos

Reaction score
Thank you all for the info...
One addition: I re-measured the bass and it is an 18 inch.
the Bass-Pedal is a jacques Capelle - I bought especially because of the 18 inch bass and the fact i can adjust this exactly the way I want (hight - attack - repsponse, light and precise) my original attack coin on the bass head was a Dutch gulder - from before the EURO coin times (kept that one as a souvenir )

i managed to sell to a drummer who will actually use the set (not sure about the cymbals) and he bought it for 1980+ euro's - So i am happy but sad. he had exactly the same set and sold it but had regrets ever since... So he will use it...

I later realized it had been on the attic for 30 years since I left in 1991 to Thailand - came back in 1997 - never really used it (got it out once in a while) stored it at my parents got kids (now 16-18-20 years old - my new superstars) - SO the condition is MINT!! hence the original tama drum heads (I am a technical drummer so no dents or puts or anything: they still sound great...

Now I am licking my wounded heart - I have not been without a drum kit since I was 15... But tiered of moving these kits around all the time I focussed on singing at the end of 1980's, might pick that up again...

Thanks for the info. memories remain...

Keep on drumming (do you dream about drumming: I dream about it when things are not moving on in my life, if all goes well I dream about singing... strange thing - dreaming ...)
cheers
Stefan

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't even know you had formally posted for sale. So you got 1980 euro's for the kit? That's a strange number. If so, you did well ($2250 US dollar equivalent).

Last edited:

Latest posts