vintage tension rods

zornfett

Reaction score
Hi,
The rod on the left is from a 70s Ludwig tom (the kind with granitone/Lud-cote inside the shells) and the right rod is from a tom similar to [the drum set at the bottom of the post] — mine has identical hardware but the old Ludwig badge.

My questions are:
  • What are the sizes of these tension rods (is it 58mm and 80mm respectively)?
  • Are these sizes still widely-available?

lugs-a-dozen-of-each.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/BT4DpnWAPcG/

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the one on the left would be about a 2" (52 mm) rod and the one on the right a 2 3/4" (70 mm) rod. Tension rods are measured from the shoulder of the head to the tip of the threads. They are available from multiple suppliers.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As Geardaddy mentioned, tension rod length is measured from the shoulder (or below the collar) to the end of the threads. Too many sellers list overall length, which, at least to me, is meaningless.

Also, keep in mind that modern tension rods won't have the same appearance as vintage tension rods of the past. Each drum company tended to have their own distinctive style of tension rod. If this matters to you, then you will need to seek out identical tension rods. If you just need to make the drum playable, any modern 12-24 tension rod of the correct length will work.

-Mark

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
All bolts and screws are measured from the underside of the head.