Vintage white marine pearl wrap

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ideally Ludwig late 60's with some aging. I need to rewrap a Jazz fest to match.....but I'll go for any brand......thanks! Sample below....

20190507_091604.jpeg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You probably know this but i believe jammin sam and precision offer that wrap.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, JDG. I'm having a bit of problem in understanding exactly what it is that you are looking for. Are you trying to find some NOS WMP that has yellowed a bit? If that's the case, wouldn't you be good using the "Vintage WMP" that several suppliers offer?

Or, other?

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am looking for original WMP Ludwig (or similar) that has aged (and that someone has laying around - enough to rewrap a Jazz Fest). NOS if yellowed is fine, or if taken off a drum, too.

The new is too white. The new "antique" is too yellow....I know it will be very difficult to match color + pattern although I am going more for color......thanks! I have vintage Gretsch WMP that is much whiter than what I need.....my kit is a tad yellowed but still very pearly.....

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know exactly what JDG is looking for! No current suppliers offer the pattern that Ludwig was using in the 60's, which is the style of WMP I always liked. Even Slingerland's WMP from this time period was a bit different. Finding this wrap is going to be tough and may take some time. Viable options include finding a tom shell wrapped in this finish from the same time period. Can get pricey, though! Best of luck with your search. You never know what others might be hoarding out there!

-Mark

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mark, I do have a vintage 60's MIJ snare that has an aged WMP but the pattern doesn't match (more WMP where Ludwig has more of an onyx-y pattern), but the color is nearly spot on.......if I have to, I will strip that drum and use that wrap.......

But I don't want to buy a good vintage drum with a good wrap just to remove it, though...due to cost and on principal......I will fix 'em but I won't wreck 'em.....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah - I don't think it's worth anything so that may be the best bet. I will just need to line up the vent hole and I will have issues with the throw/butt. I am not sure how to fill those in. The lug spacing holes are perfect height and width, though. Also, the wrap is super thin and I'm not sure how to remove it without damaging it.
Very carefully......

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I decided to remove the WMP off the MIJ snare - although the wrap is a little short on width, the color is close enough!

WMP.jpg