Vintage Yamaha Tour Customs

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I ran across a set of the older (later 70's??) Tour Customs.

The cool thing about these is that although the tag says made in Taiwan they are VERY well made, I mean wow, really beautiful birch shells with solid hardware and construction.

Anyway they are missing some T's/claws and one of the spurs is missing but its all there.

The problem is: the wrap is trashed!! Its a solid white wrap and its very, very dirty, stained, gross. Its been around the block!

Has anyone ever removed the wrap on one of these kits? Its glued all the way around, not just at the seams. I've found some makers use more or less glue. The last time I took wrap off (a Kent) I swore I would never do it again!

And on this tip, the Yamaha page says these drums where birch/camellia? What is under the wrap? I've got a Camellia bush in front of my house, never knew they used that for drums!

mark

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark,

You've got some great sounding drums there.
In the 80s the Yamaha tour series was their mid-lines drums of 3 series. That had birch/mahogony plies. I believe Camellia is a type of mahgony used in the Tours.
The "Stage" series was the entry level and those were all mahogony plied drums. Yamaha's top line at that time were the "Recording" series which were all birch plies.
I've got a set of Tour series drums I purchased new in 1980 or 1981 in the natural birch finish . Yamaha now calls this their "vintage finish" so I guess by defualt I'm vintage too...
I toured relentlessly with these drums until 1991 and they were just great drums for me.
Even though my drums were the tour series, they were made in Japan. I think they have the 9000 numbers on them. In about 1984 I ordered two additional toms for this kit in the same finish. Although they looked similar the new toms were badged "made in China".

Enjoy the Yammies!

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I had a set of Turbo Tour Customs - great sounding drums! I lost this kit in a fire....replaced them with the Rock Tour Custom line - not as nice...

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own a set of Tour 8000 series, made in 1984 (Japan), and they're birch outer/birch inner with the filler in between. So, if you have the 8000 series you should end up with a birch finish ply if you can get the wrap off cleanly.

The wrap on mine is mint because the drums were stored for over 20 years, but it's the garnet red (or whatever it's called) and I'm not a huge red fan. I asked about removing the wrap, and while do-able, the consensus was it would not be easy and would hurt the value of the drums if the wrap was in better than average condition. These aren't going for big bucks anyway, and are actually not easy to find.

The 9000 series was the precursor to the Recording Custom, but some guys preferred the Tour (8000 series in the mid '80s) because of the softer inner plies. I've heard and worked with both, and thought the 9000 series (all birch) sounded great. However, I frankly couldn't tell a huge difference between the 9000 and 8000, but the price reflected a difference!

I know nothing of the Stage series other than they cost less and had a very simple lug design.

longfade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own a set of Tour 8000 series, made in 1984 (Japan), and they're birch outer/birch inner with the filler in between. So, if you have the 8000 series you should end up with a birch finish ply if you can get the wrap off cleanly.

The wrap on mine is mint because the drums were stored for over 20 years, but it's the garnet red (or whatever it's called) and I'm not a huge red fan. I asked about removing the wrap, and while do-able, the consensus was it would not be easy and would hurt the value of the drums if the wrap was in better than average condition. These aren't going for big bucks anyway, and are actually not easy to find.

The 9000 series was the precursor to the Recording Custom, but some guys preferred the Tour (8000 series in the mid '80s) because of the softer inner plies. I've heard and worked with both, and thought the 9000 series (all birch) sounded great. However, I frankly couldn't tell a huge difference between the 9000 and 8000, but the price reflected a difference!

I know nothing of the Stage series other than they cost less and had a very simple lug design.
My first "real" drumkit was an 80's era set of Recording Customs in college, and they were my absolute pride and joy. The University also had a set of Tour Customs that I played in the Pep band. I refused to admit to myself that I liked the Tour Customs better than my much more expensive Recording Customs, but I truly did. I finally sold the RCs last year and found a nice set of TCs for 400.00. Realizing that the Tours were lower-priced than the RCs and thus considered a "lower level" line, I just see them as different; not in any way inferior. I'm thinking about selling my Tours though, as I've too many kits, but I can't believe how LOW you have to price them in today's market. This kit I have is 22, 10, 12, 13, 16 w/matching snare, in a beautiful Red Lacquer, and I can't get 700.00 for them on my local CL.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I just sold my Yamaha Tour Customs on my local craigslist (SF Bay Area) for $650. I had to ship them to Michigan!!! :-(

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
There's an early 80's Tour Custom kit on Used Ottawa. 22 12 13 16,traditional depths. Red laquer,looks like. Asking 600 Canadian. Been up there for months. Nice drums.
Benny K.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just to verify, your drums made in Taiwan with wraps aren't Tour Customs, Tour Customs were made in Japan and have lacquer finish. Maybe they're Tour series? Not sure without more information.

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well maybe they are "tour" series not "tour custom". The label says made in the Taiwan, Republic of China.

When I type in the model numbers for the drums on the Yamaha page it says they're birch/camellia, thats all I know!

mark

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, some pics!

The badges say made in Taiwan, Republic of China.

Model numbers like "TT-913D"

The old school lugs.

Very nice shells.

What the heck are they now?

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are the Tour series lugs from the 80s.
Are you going to strip the wrap down to the outer birch ply?

roubaix

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sold my Yamaha Tour Customs on my local craigslist (SF Bay Area) for $650. I had to ship them to Michigan!!! :-(
And I would have bought them first if I knew you were going to ship (and I was closer, LOL) - those were (are) great drums!

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes it seems they are 9000 series......but made in China? Tour series?

I do plan on making the attempt at taking the wrap off........I just don't think I could buff/clean the wrap enough to make it look good!

mark

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well just got enough of the wrap up at the seam to verify whats underneath, looks like birch.

I can't believe how well these are made! The inner ply is birch and is perfectly finished and glossy, the bearing edges are perfect, the lugs are finely made.

And made in China?

I found a source online about dating the Yamahas and it seems these are from '78.

As for the model number, well who knows what the heck is up?

Gotta get a heat gun so I can get the wrap off these drums without making a wreck!

mark

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Abra.,
If you could post a picture or two of the "de-wrapping" process (the birch underneath is what I'm curious about) that would be great.
I've been looking for over a year for a legged 16x 16" or 14x14" in the natural birch to match my tour set. Maybe buying a wrapped floor and stripping it down to the birch is the way to go...
Thanks.

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will post a pic when all is done.

I've gotta say, they use alot of glue, and its a slow process! Heat and pull a little up....maybe a 1/4 of the way around the 12" tom so far.

Lotsa glue left on the shell which should come off with citrus strip, then I'll just do a once over w/steel wool and a good dose of tung oil for protection.

mark

abracadabra

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to remove wrap without heat?

I hate to think of the nasty stuff in that bad smell this PVC wrap puts off when heated. I'm in a fairly ventilated area but I still catch a whiff now and then.

Any ideas?

mark

CAMCOMAN

Reaction score
those are pre Recording custom . TT913D 100% birch shell. T913DA Camellia/Phillipine mahogany.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Tour lugs, as I understand it, are the same shape as those (earlier Recording Custom) lugs, but they're slightly longer and skinnier.

Latest posts