Vintage Zildjian A's Cymbals - Nobody wants them?

Blkonyx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this is a odd question....but for Zildjian A's in the more Medium and Heavy weight? any market for them at all?

I've collected so many over the years that came with kits and such and they have pilled up. I have tried selling them and they just sit and sit...even when I price as low as $50-$100 bucks. Even some of the 50's Stamp stuff....just sits.

At this point, just looking to unload....is there music stores that would buy the lot? I'm moving and not looking to bring 30-40 cymbals I won't be playing.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You want to ship them?
List the details and post em here.

or is there a link or links to an ad or auction where you've been trying to sell them

everybody loves old As. they're due for a resurgence ...any moment now. Can never predict..
Post some details.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you near a Sam Ash? That might be the best bet for a quick unload. They might end up only taking a few though.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you don't mind doing the whole packing and shipping thing ...
You could most likely sell them all if you priced them at a ridiculous pricing structure. $2.50 an inch ... that sort of thing.
I realize how low this is, but if your goal is to get them out and pocket a few for each ... that would be a reasonable solution.
I honestly don't play thicker higher pitched cymbals, otherwise I'd just buy the lot and cull through them and sell the rest. It would make fiscal sense to do that. I'm not a Zildjian A guy, though. I do wish you the best on this. I sincerely hope my thoughts help ya.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that more and more people don't have the money to buy them. Everything sits, hoping you might win the lottery. That's when the price goes up.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You want to ship them?
List the details and post em here.

or is there a link or links to an ad or auction where you've been trying to sell them

everybody loves old As. they're due for a resurgence ...any moment now. Can never predict..
Post some details.

^^^ This ^^^

Reactions: JDA

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think they’ll make a comeback with Indie and Americana, if they haven’t already. Next will be the praise and worship crowd when they figure out that there are some nice med-thin rides out there that can handle the wash riding thing. The jazz drummers have already caught on...others need to catch up. It will be cool again to sport no logos. I’m already there, setting the trend, ha ;)

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The general going rate for typical medium to heavy 60's to 80's A's seems to be around $50-$90 (16's to 20's). Even the 22's barely make the $100 mark at times. I have a decent 1980's 22" A and can't get $100 for it....yet....and originally got it off Ebay for $110 last year. The price of most older A's has appeared to come down another 5-10% the past year. And for sure the price to buy actually decent medium thin and thin 30's to 50's A's has come down at least that much.

The hardest of these to sell are the medium to heavy 18 and 20" rides. I see some local music stores, consignment, and pawn shops price these cymbals at $150-$200 each and just have to chuckle. My local drum shop has 60's to 80's A rides on consignment for no less than $125-$175.

The 50's should bring a premium. But if on the heavier side, will take just as long to sell. Stay persistent. Given enough time, they will sell in that price range. Most people figure if something doesn't sell in a month there's something wrong. Even quality drums and cymbals priced right can take 8-12 months to move.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
The market has never been more saturated with cymbals, especially garden variety A’s , ,thousands out there.

With literally dozens of manufacturers you can pick and choose and name your price range. The only way you'll Sell them quickly is with a super low price tag.

Donate them to the schools or Goodwill

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weight is volume; if you've got outdoor gigs on your yearly agenda it's worthwhile to take some heavier cymbals. If you're inside in small restaurant you may want lighter ones.
But everyone needs the weight and penetration of a heavy cymbal -irregardless of diameter- sometime

Last edited:

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
A new band I’ve been playing with practices in a church and the kit there has some 70s Zildjian A cymbals. I was surprised at how much I liked the sound of the crashes. I’ve played tons that I didn’t like and it’s usually the heavier more pingy ones that turn me off. But a good medium to medium thin weight is great. I also saw one in GC for $140 for a 22” ride that I really really liked and if I had the money or need for it I would definitely pick it up. I think it was an 80s but I’m bad with stamps. Anyways, they’re desirable cymbals if you sit down with them and can pick out ones you like. With so much saturation in the cymbal market overall they’re really easy to overlook unless it’s insanely cheap.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old guys already have 'em, and the young guys don't want anything without big logos or holes in them.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of the buyers I've run into don't care squat about labels or logos....just that the cymbal sounds good for what they want it for. While I care a lot about logos, flea bites, small dents, small key holes....and price those defects in......the majority of buyers I run into just don't care. They're buying sound to be used on their kit....at a certain price level. "Looks" or "collectibility" is usually the lowest rung on their ladder. I guess that suggests that what the drumform.org wants is not the same as the average buyer out there.

I'm one old guy who doesn't yet have all the vintage A's I'd like. Still buying several every month. And I'm still looking for a good 22" 1950's A Large Stamp/Hollow Block. One of those slipped by me this week on Ebay - brought $178 shipped - medium weight - 2755 gms - no issues. Forgot to bid....though wouldn't have gone all that much higher. Good thing about most of these A's is that there is always another one right around the corner....and often cheaper than the one you just missed out on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Zildjian-Vintage-50s-Crash-Ride-22-Hand-Hammered-Medium-Excellent-2-756g/283562302875?hash=item4205a15d9b:g:hNUAAOSw~NBdNocs&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The market has never been more saturated with cymbals, especially garden variety A’s , ,thousands out there.

With literally dozens of manufacturers you can pick and choose and name your price range. The only way you'll Sell them quickly is with a super low price tag.

Donate them to the schools or Goodwill
This. And not only cymbals. The entire drum market is saturated with new, used, and classic kits, and the market prices are reflecting that. It is a buyers market right now, and that will not reverse any time soon. I predict that we'll see prices dropping even more before things stabilize and then remain flat for a long time to come.

GeeDeeEmm

tripp2k

Reaction score
Another idea is to package them in cymbal sets and see if you can't get bites from newer drummers that are looking to upgrade and who'd like the new bling but can only afford some used with well spoken history behind them. We are all basically buying blind online but if 3 out of 4 work, your buyer will own moving the 4th along.

tripp2k

Reaction score
This. And not only cymbals. The entire drum market is saturated with new, used, and classic kits, and the market prices are reflecting that. It is a buyers market right now, and that will not reverse any time soon. I predict that we'll see prices dropping even more before things stabilize and then remain flat for a long time to come.

GeeDeeEmm
Same for guitars. Gibson is trying a rebirth at the worst possible time while compounding their problems with some lame brained PR tactics that are batting .000. Fender keeps pumping them out but Craigslist, Reverb, etc. is covered up in Strats and Teles of every option imagenable. Rather than be authentic, I suggest to the OP to be unique.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The market is indeed reaching saturation with the more available vintage and modern kits and cymbals. So buy what's not generally available. So if I'm looking at a drum kit to hang on to for a while, it better be something out of the ordinary that only shows up at most once or twice per year (if that)....and you just cannot jump on Reverb, Ebay, or CL and find another for sale (or has sold in the past 3-6 months). Of the kits I currently own, only one of them (Rogers '77 Big R) is readily replaceable. The others are not easily found. And in the same way, I'm trying to stick to 30's to 50's Zildjians that don't show up every day.

Latest posts