Vintage Zildjian ink

MVE

Reaction score
Does anyone have any photos of what ink stamps should look like on 1960’s vintage Zildjians?

Ive only read that they “were” labeled, and found pics of the “heavy”, “paper thin”...etc stamps.

But what did the “Zildjian” look like, if any, and where does the “Zildjian” go? (opposite engrave, under it, or 90deg to it like modern)?

Ive got a vintage ride and was thinking of putting a new label on it just for fun, but can’t find a pic of what it is supposed to look like anywhere.

Thanks for any input you might have and Happy New Year.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no “Zildjian” ink stamp in the 60s. Cymbals were labeled in a simple block print. The only place it read “Zildjian” was in the stamped trademark. The hollow Zildjian ink logo didn’t arrive until 1977.

Avedis and Armand (and I’m guessing Bob) didn’t feel the need to print their name on the cymbals. It wasn’t until Paiste started gaining traction in the 70s that it changed. For years I tried to get them to “tone down” the logos.

MVE

Reaction score
There was no “Zildjian” ink stamp in the 60s. Cymbals were labeled in a simple block print. The only place it read “Zildjian” was in the stamped trademark. The hollow Zildjian ink logo didn’t arrive until 1977.

Avedis and Armand (and I’m guessing Bob) didn’t feel the need to print their name on the cymbals. It wasn’t until Paiste started gaining traction in the 70s that it changed. For years I tried to get them to “tone down” the logos.
Thank you so much for the info

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info
My pleasure. And if you don't mind me suggesting, if your cymbal is truly vintage (1960s) I wouldn't add a logo, or anything to it. Not sure how you would do it anyway, but I'd leave it as is. I wouldn't even clean it, but that's just me.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread from 2 months ago where someone had added "Zildjian" logo's to cymbals that never had them. They just looked weird. And the owner had to remove them to sell the cymbals. The old inkings still left a faint ghost shadow behind.

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/1980s-zildjian-new-beat-hi-hat-ink-freak.178295/

If you were going to apply model inking to your 60's cymbals you'd first have to know exactly what they were originally. And unless your cymbals are almost mint, fresh inking is going to look weird. Probably not all Zildjian cymbals were labeled with model inking when they left the factory in the 1960's and 1970's. Though the only 3 cymbals I bought brand new in the 1970's - 2 of the 3 had model inking on them. The new beat hi hat top had no inking though I think it came with a factory sticker on it.

Last edited:

MVE

Reaction score
Yes, I will not be adding the logo if it were not originally there.
As the ride has already been cleaned and shined by previous owner, I thought it might be nice to complete the job and make it look like it did when new, and to make it visually match its adjacent more modern neighbors.
But again, I will certainly not add a logo that isn’t supposed to be there.
Frankly, I’d rather polish off the logos on my other cymbals to match it. Lol (but, I won’t do that either.)
I always feel guilty doing any work on instruments that wastes time I could otherwise spend making music.
Thank you all for the counsel and guidance.