Virgin Gretsch SSB tom or a reproduction?

cplueard

Reaction score
Got this tom as part of a trade for a lot of things. Looking to move it on but I know people can be picky about specifics with the vintage gretsch so I wanted to seek more information. It looks like a 70's(?) SSB 13" tom, but there's no mount. I can't seem to find pictures of any virgin gretsch toms as they all seem to have mounts, muffles, or both. There doesn't look to be any drilling or re-wrapping, and it has the silver and a paper badge inside. Is what I'm looking at normal here or is this just some sort of reproduction?

Attachments

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
If it was earlier you’d have reason to doubt, but this is later enough that no mount isn’t remarkably odd. And of course Gretsch was happy for decades to ship drums w/o mounts so the shop could add the customer’s preferred brand.

The starlight-sparkle-lookin’ wrap isn’t something I’ve seen on a newer drum before, though.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The serial number and the badge are from the same era. What color is the wrap? Perhaps it is the lighting, but that does not look like a color I would expect during the Drop G badge era. The screws mounting the lugs are round head Phillips head, which is not typical.

cplueard

Reaction score
If it was earlier you’d have reason to doubt, but this is later enough that no mount isn’t remarkably odd. And of course Gretsch was happy for decades to ship drums w/o mounts so the shop could add the customer’s preferred brand.

The starlight-sparkle-lookin’ wrap isn’t something I’ve seen on a newer drum before, though.
The serial number and the badge are from the same era. What color is the wrap? Perhaps it is the lighting, but that does not look like a color I would expect during the Drop G badge era. The screws mounting the lugs are round head Phillips head, which is not typical.
Thanks guys. I don't know much of gretsch so this is all beyond me. I'll take more pictures once I'm home to get a better idea of the color. I'll also pay closer attention to the screws holding the lugs and see if they're all the same or swapped around.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Gretsch, but I can't see why anyone would build a fake one. Especially a tom. Sourcing all of that hardware would cost more than buying the real thing.

GeeDeeEmm

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know about Gretsch, but I can't see why anyone would build a fake one. Especially a tom. Sourcing all of that hardware would cost more than buying the real thing.

GeeDeeEmm
I bought an 8x12 "SSB" tom recently off eBay......it was a rewrap (not advertised as such) and had been modified to the point the guy refused to take it back, was genuinely concerned and gave me a significant discount so I kept it.
The muffler holes were plugged as were the diamond plate holes, too. If only it had die casts (just triple flanged) hoops......The shell looked real but it was not a real SSB tom.

cplueard

Reaction score
I bought an 8x12 "SSB" tom recently off eBay......it was a rewrap (not advertised as such) and had been modified to the point the guy refused to take it back, was genuinely concerned and gave me a significant discount so I kept it.
The muffler holes were plugged as were the diamond plate holes, too. If only it had die casts (just triple flanged) hoops......The shell looked real but it was not a real SSB tom.
That's something I'm kinda scared of with this, though the paint on the inside seems legit, but I'm far from familiar with gretsch.

Too bad there isn't a full set. That color looks awesome!
Right? I kinda want to make a snare but I'm not really into standard thickness shells for snares. I like 'em thick.

cplueard

Reaction score
Okay, some of the screws were replaced, and the wrap is unoriginal. Top edge looks good and the silver inside is different from the silver where the plugs were done. Just couldn't see it with the bottom head on. Hopefully at least the shell is still gretsch, hardware is for sure.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't know about that bearing edge. Also, you can see the tom mount filled in your photo #2 - probably an 80's hanging tom with those huge obnoxious rectangular tom mounts (or maybe was cut down)? I am not sure. Your grommet looks removed and replaced, too.

I have a square badge (80-81) 12/14/18 and the 12x14 and bass hav filled holes (done very well) and "silver sealer" that looks good from 3' but up close you can tell - I don't know if those were done aftermarket or were factory errors.....I've heard both ways. Also, mine is black glass glitter (Black sparkle) which was I believe a factory color and looks very close to yours. Mine is very dark black-ish with a bronze underhue and looks a dark grey up close....weird, but cool!

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Okay, them there are some filled holes.

I’d still wager it’s a Gretsch, 4416 is the model # for a 13x9. Going to the trouble of a correct paper tag for a fake you drilled for Gretsch h/w, then filled the mount and rewrapped wouldn't make sense.

Good news is you can do whatever and not feel too bad about it.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Below is a photo of my 1977 SSB Gretsch USA shells.
The 13 tom (on the snare stand) is a virgin shell; that is exactly the way I ordered it................

IMG_2387 (3).JPG