Virgin Rogers Wildwood Snare Shell on the 'bay

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
If this is, indeed, a real Rogers Wildwood shell (and I believe it to be), the die colored birch outer wrap is, unfortunately, faded. This means that the finish has not been well preserved. There are no holes cut, however, which is a plus. So, to make it a Dynasonic, you'd need all of the hardware, and the bearing edges will have to be cut, too. And that Wildwood finish with the black "wormholes" does not lend to a photogenic ending... With these issues, I'd pass unless I could get it for a BIN of under $75.00

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
If this is, indeed, a real Rogers Wildwood shell (and I believe it to be), the die colored birch outer wrap is, unfortunately, faded. This means that the finish has not been well preserved. There are no holes cut, however, which is a plus. So, to make it a Dynasonic, you'd need all of the hardware, and the bearing edges will have to be cut, too. And that Wildwood finish with the black "wormholes" does not lend to a photogenic ending... With these issues, I'd pass unless I could get it for a BIN of under $75.00
Already have a Dyna. Thinking this shell would become a Luxor. Not the best color for sure, but they do not come available very often.

View attachment 215109

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would go for the most expensive snare in that case - means dynasonic.
With help of drum building experts you could have real deal for fraction of market price.

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
This is an interesting opportunity.... I've got my Wildwood set up including Powertone, but I don't have a Dynasonic and given the prices they fetch, it's unlikely I'll be getting one anytime soon. This could be a cool way to get one affordably that sits nicely with my existing set up.
I wonder what the reserve is? I just nudged the bidding up and didn't meet it. Maybe it wont be such an affordable option after all!

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Wildwood or not, this is still an unused shell from the plant. I have never seen one of these before.

I have seen several nos drums (snares, toms) in the box, but not something like this.
What would a new Keller shell from Precision cost? With rings: around $100. This shell should be worth 2x that, imho.
If it were mine, I'd send it to Lawton for drilling and edging, probably as a Powertone....

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As seller is from Dayton, Probably there can be something more "out there"
Very interesting.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am familiar with this shell. When the current owner picked it up, there were several others. Some were Wildwood and some were standard shells. This is the last one left. It originally came from Joe Thompson's estate auction.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
DanC said:
I wonder what was done with the others? Have the owners bulit them up, etc?
I can't remember hearing what happened to them. There weren't that many. If I remember correctly there were maybe 4-5 shells, 2-3 of which were Wildwood. This last one was being held on to by Hauer Music and it spent the last decade in a display case next to the Joe Thompson prototype DynaSonic. They must have decided to let it go after their move.

A very cool Covington Rogers/Joe Thompson connection. It might be pretty cool to own just as it is, for what it is.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
I don't think this is the first undrilled wildwood shell to have turned up.
It's not. I believe GrandpaCleve has found a couple.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
amosguy said:
I wonder what was done with the others? Have the owners bulit them up, etc?
"Yes" he replied.
This is Amosguy's sly way of saying that his Dyna is one of those. And he did a magnificent job of it, too! :)

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe Rogers moved lots of the Wildwood shells from Ohio to CA at the time. Then somewhere after that the decision was made for most of the unused shells to be hauled to the dump. Might have to spend the rest of my lfe looking for a matching 13.................. Not sure that shell was ever created. Catalogs of them only showed 12s.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tommykat1 said:
Yes Tom I was lucky enough to find 1 blank shell a while back. Rumor has it...was turned into a Dyna. The only other Dyna in Wildwood that I saw was pryed from the hands of a Wildwood guitar collector. It was the only drum he found in all his years collecting Wildwood. It is shown below highly figured. The grommet and script nals don't look like Rogers factory stock. Sounds amazing and was found as a built drum complete. I believe any Wildwood is super rare if you can find any. The post 1966 CBS idea was a flop and many shells were sitting around only to be destroyed later. The storage wasn't worth it for CBS. Get rid of those things!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
GrandpaCleve said:
Yes Tom I was lucky enough to find 1 blank shell a while back. Rumor has it...was turned into a Dyna. The only other Dyna in Wildwood that I saw was pryed from the hands of a Wildwood guitar collector. It was the only drum he found in all his years collecting Wildwood. It is shown below highly figured. The grommet and script nals don't look like Rogers factory stock. Sounds amazing and was found as a built drum complete. I believe any Wildwood is super rare if you can find any. The post 1966 CBS idea was a flop and many shells were sitting around only to be destroyed later. The storage wasn't worth it for CBS. Get rid of those things!

I love it when you weigh in, Gramps! Cheers! :)

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
The guy who I bought my Wildwood kit from last year was given it as a 16th birthday present by his parents who both worked for Rogers back in 1967. His father was a machinist and mother worked on assembly. He didn't play them much after he left high school and they sat in storage for years (hence the great condition). He was a really nice guy (not into vintage drums as such) but when I asked him about their history, he recalled the incident about the remaining shells being destroyed which he either witnessed first hand or was told about by his dad. I should track down his contact info again and clarify what he remembered....