Vistalite or Classic Maple?

Miked91893

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m currently facing a dilemma. I’m in the market for a new (or used) Bonham-style Ludwig kit. I have two choices: Zep configured Vista (2014), or a green sparkle CM from (90s). I currently play a Mapex Voyager kit 13/14/16/22 but I have a LM402 and 2oo2 setup. I’m looking for the thunder, but not sure which one to choose. Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I’m not recording, just a hobby/obsession

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people didn't buy Vistalites because of their sound. Are the CMs also in the Bonham sizes?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned both, although not in the larger sizes.

I’m wondering if the Vistas you seek are in amber, which would be a necessary factor in completion of your Bonham fetishism.

I’m going to answer assuming they are.

Personally I’d go with the Maples as I think tuning wise you might able to get closer to the Bonham sound you are hearing in your head. Classic Maples can bring that thunder Zep afficianadoes seek.

If you are gigging I’d say the Vistas, because the wow factor of those big Amber drums cannot be overstated, and with proper tuning and a good sound guy they will thunder as well.

They are both Bonham-approved, so which gets you more excited? Surely one has a slight edge visually. In emulation cases I think that might be the ruling factor even over sound. (And in your living room, basement, or band room both will sound good.)

Miked91893

Reaction score
Thanks! The Vistas are amber. I know Bonham used CM in the studio and I LOVE the sound, but I love the grandness of the Vistas. It’s a tough choice.

Miked91893

Reaction score
The 15x12 rack is a dealbreaker for me. That's not useful to me outside of maybe this particular context.
That’s the one thing that’s making me hesitate with the CM Kit. Plus I’d need all new heads because the ones that come with it are wrecked! The Vistas come with Ludwig silver dots which are close to the Remo black dots I would eventually use.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the one thing that’s making me hesitate with the CM Kit. Plié I’d need all new heads because the ones that come with it are wrecked! The Vistas come with Ludwig silver dots which are close to the Remo black dots I would eventually use.
Sounds like the Vistas are what you need then. Have fun!

Vicey

Reaction score
Sonically, I much prefer the maples. Even aesthetically, I like Bonham's green sparkle kit better than the Vistas. But I understand that the amber Vistas are the drums people visualize when they think of Bonzo, even if the sound they hear came from the maples.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! The Vistas are amber. I know Bonham used CM in the studio and I LOVE the sound, but I love the grandness of the Vistas. It’s a tough choice.
CM didn't exist in Bonham's time. He used standard 3-ply Ludwigs of that era. Closest equivalent today would be Legacy. CM is in the ballpark but is a slightly different sound. Thicker, louder, more sustain.

Miked91893

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m currently facing a dilemma. I’m in the market for a new (or used) Bonham-style Ludwig kit. I have two choices: Zep configured Vista (2014), or a green sparkle CM from (90s). I currently play a Mapex Voyager kit 13/14/16/22 but I have a LM402 and 2oo2 setup. I’m looking for the thunder, but not sure which one to choose. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks to everyone. I purchased the Amber Vistas. A steal at $2,200 for the shell pack. I already have the Supra and 2oo2s! I’m exited!!

healthie1

Reaction score
A 15x12 rack tom is very, very limited imo. put some pics up when you can.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

FYI, my understanding is that Classic Maples (7 ply, 6mm), first came out in 2001. Maybe they are Super Classics or Classics.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FYI, my understanding is that Classic Maples (7 ply, 6mm), first came out in 2001. Maybe they are Super Classics or Classics.
Not sure what year they were introduced but in the early 2000’s they were 9 ply

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I foresee that you are,
to use a British phrase, going to be “chuffed to bits.”

The usual repayment for advice/opinion on this forum is to post alluring yet tasteful pictures of your new acquisition. Given that you went with Amber, the photography session should be relatively easy.

Miked91893

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I foresee that you are,
to use a British phrase, going to be “chuffed to bits.”

The usual repayment for advice/opinion on this forum is to post alluring yet tasteful pictures of your new acquisition. Given that you went with Amber, the photography session should be relatively easy.
Ah. I am picking up what you’re putting down.

Attachments