Vistalite Reno

dlancioni

Reaction score
Hey, all!

New to the forum, thanks to @Saladdaze for the invite!

About a year and a half ago I purchased a BEAUTIFUL 4-piece (24-14-12-16) clear Vistalite kit from Rainbow Music in Grand Rapids, MI, with the original snare, for $900. It was my first experience with a 24" kick, and I was in love. After getting the traditional black dots on the snare and toms, and experimenting with different kick heads and settling on the Powerstroke 3, I thought I really had a good sound out of it. Then the problems started.

The lug screws started falling out inside the drums, and in some cases, they broke off inside the lugs, requiring removal of the head completely to either tighten or remove broken parts from inside the shell. It is apparent to me now that I must replace the lugs and screws to prevent this from continuing.

Has anyone had a similar issue, and what was your resolve? My immediate reaction is to get replacement lugs for those that have broken, and then replace all the screws (which are currently hex) with phillips head screws and locking washers.

Here's a not-so-great photo of it - can't seem to find a more up close version of it. This one has the Evans Dry snare head on it instead of the black dot - I didn't like the sound of the clear head - had to go back to coated!

IMG_0924.JPG

-Derek

Saladdaze

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Derek! It's good to see you out here. That is a beautiful, great sounding kit. I was tempted when it was for sale.

Hang tight. There will be some Vistalite experts weighing in to address your issues.
Michael

atomicdave

DFO Star
Reaction score
Welcome! Did the screw itself break off or did part of the lug (the boss/part that goes thru shell) break off with it? If the lug broke it could be because the lugs were washed and reinstalled with water still in the threaded portion which could errode and weaken the metal. I've never heard of the screw itself breaking. Ludwig large classic lugs are abundant if you need to replace them, just make sure you get a similar casting as in the 80's they became heavier with more internal casting and might not be good on vistas plus add more weight to the drums.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. If those guitars are the real things, you have excellent taste in guitars. I claim total ignorance about plastic drums. But, there are plenty of people here who know a lot about them.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Welcome Dlancioni!
I'm no expert on these shells so I can't address any issues there. As far as the lugs and screw go you can use Loctite small screw threadlocker #222 (service removable)on the screws that are not broken. This product is made to hold screws in place but allows for disassembly.

The Broken lug screws can be removed if you use a penetrant type product called "Croil". Then drill a small hole in the end of the screw and use an easyout to remove the broken piece.
This can be time consuming so I would be more inclined to replace the whole lug. They can be found on Ebay for a small amount of money.

Good luck, Scott

A_T_P

Reaction score
dlancioni!

Glad to see the person who bought these is getting good use and appreciation for them! (I'm the one that put them in Rainbow Music). They originally came from a pawn shop in Wyandotte, MI, then restored.

I gigged pretty frequently with these, and never had a problem like you mentioned. I'm interested to see what people suggest, as I hope this doesn't happen to vistalites specifically (I also have a 5-piece tequila sunrise kit I've been thinking about gigging with).

Regardless, glad you're enjoying them!

-ATP

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a clear kit that I have gigged extensively and owned for over 10 years. Never had this happen. Something weird/unique is happening. Is this happening on more than one drum?

Chris

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All lugs are made from cheap pot metal.They just break after so long.You just have to replace them as they go.I know it stinks,but thats just the reality of it.So far,I've had to replace the following brands:DW,Geo Way,Rogers & Ludwig/WFL.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i've seen this happen to offshore lugs,but not on ludwigs,maybe just a 1 off freak thing

dlancioni

Reaction score
atomicdave said:
Welcome! Did the screw itself break off or did part of the lug (the boss/part that goes thru shell) break off with it? If the lug broke it could be because the lugs were washed and reinstalled with water still in the threaded portion which could errode and weaken the metal. I've never heard of the screw itself breaking. Ludwig large classic lugs are abundant if you need to replace them, just make sure you get a similar casting as in the 80's they became heavier with more internal casting and might not be good on vistas plus add more weight to the drums.
Yeah, the screws themselves are breaking inside the lug.

dlancioni

Reaction score
W&A Player said:
Welcome to the forum. If those guitars are the real things, you have excellent taste in guitars. I claim total ignorance about plastic drums. But, there are plenty of people here who know a lot about them.
Thanks! They're actually my wife's guitars - She's definitely partial to Telecasters haha.

dlancioni

Reaction score
A_T_P said:
dlancioni!

Glad to see the person who bought these is getting good use and appreciation for them! (I'm the one that put them in Rainbow Music). They originally came from a pawn shop in Wyandotte, MI, then restored.

I gigged pretty frequently with these, and never had a problem like you mentioned. I'm interested to see what people suggest, as I hope this doesn't happen to vistalites specifically (I also have a 5-piece tequila sunrise kit I've been thinking about gigging with).

Regardless, glad you're enjoying them!

-ATP
How crazy! I love the kit, other than these weird hardware issues. Thanks for passing along a great kit!!

Latest posts