Vistalite vs. All the rest..... debate.

Hans2112

Reaction score
I am dying for an acrylic set. Of course, vistas would be my 1st choice, but at 3K+ that's a bit daunting. So now I see Pearl has a new line, Tama redid theirs, You have Crush and even affordable DW's oddly enough. Given the latter all have similar shell sizes and all feature seemless shells. I gather the source is the same. But I sort of would think seemless would be better is terms or tone and lifespan. Who has more info than I?

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The DW's are interesting. I've not gotten a chance to play 'em, but I was surprised by the price point.

When I got a chance to meet John Good a couple of years ago something came up about Zack Starkey liking "those damn acrylics" (haha)! He said they got the shells from RCI. I imagine that's where most of the shells are coming from no matter what they're branded...

Zeta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally with the variety of choices from the big brands. I'd pick the mounts I liked best probably lol.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Crush is seamless and made differently. They're not bent into a round shape from a flat sheet like the ones with seams. I'm not sure what that means for sound or durability, but they're priced competitively and I've heard good comments about them. Maybe other manufacturers do it that way as well, but if it has a seam then it started as a flat sheet and was bent and joined. I like the Ludwig Vistas mostly because they're what I've owned and loved in the past. They're plenty heavy though. I don't know if the Crush's are any lighter weight, but the weight of those Vistalites was significantly more than any of my wood shell drums.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't answer the OP's questions, but I LOVE this kit:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RickP

Yes, they are heavyweight those acrylic shell drums. I checked out some of Pearl's version and was amazed how heavy the bass drum was.

Forum member Murat has a Crush Clear acrylic kit in stock and it sounds really nice.
He has also had the DW version and it is just as nice. I am not a fan of Pearl’s version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seemless is the way to go and C&C is worth checking out if you're seriously looking at Acrylics. They did the shells for Tama's Mirage series and I'd be willing to bet for some other companies as well.

I had the opportunity to check out a Pearl Crystal Beat kit at DCP last time I was there and they look to be top shelf also.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Is C&C actually manufacturing their own acrylic shells? I would be surprised if that was at all cost-effective but I suppose they could.

I would tend to think that seamless would make for a superior product and the general consensus seems to agree in other threads and reviews I have seen. I would also imagine that the new inrush of acrylic drums offered by Crush, Tama, Pearl, etc are probably made by the same Asian company whose name currently escapes me.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
agogobil said:
any truth to the rumor that DW is using old growth acrylic from the bottom of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
Not a rumor.....FACT! Timeless Timber be damned. This is Primeval Prehistoric Plastic.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fun 2 Drum said:
Crush is seamless and made differently. They're not bent into a round shape from a flat sheet like the ones with seams. I'm not sure what that means for sound or durability, but they're priced competitively and I've heard good comments about them. Maybe other manufacturers do it that way as well, but if it has a seam then it started as a flat sheet and was bent and joined. I like the Ludwig Vistas mostly because they're what I've owned and loved in the past. They're plenty heavy though. I don't know if the Crush's are any lighter weight, but the weight of those Vistalites was significantly more than any of my wood shell drums.
LIDC had a new Crush red Acrylic kit I almost bought two weeks ago, that they just sold on E-bay. {Brand new with a 22x18, 8x6, 10x7,12x8, 16 x 14...for get this..... $900 with floor tom legs and three tom arms and clamps. I picked up the bass drum and seriously I had a hard time lifting it up !! It felt like my Tempus / Ludwig 22"S but with a full hardware case inside... no B.S. !!!!}

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I purchased a brand new Vistalite in early 2011. To me , were my first choice for a few different reasons, but mainly the "mojo" (for lack of a better term) they seem to have. Not to put any other brands down at all--I'm sure many if not all are awesome in their own way--but, to me, acrylic = Vistalite. Now, I also wanted clear, and from what I've been able to see, the Vistalites seemed the most clear/see-thru than all of the others I've looked at. Others tend to be clear-ish, but kind of cloudy looking at certain angles, whereas mine are clear as glass.

I know it's been a few years since 2011, so prices may have gone up a bit, but I got a pretty good deal on mine...I paid $1800 even for a 12/14/16/22 shell pack, and added the matching snare about 2 years ago for another $400, so it pays to shop around. They are VERY heavy, but extremely well-built, and if handled properly, should easily last as long as any other well-made drum on the market. The sound is excellent--very precise & fairly easy to dial in. Add in the mini-classic lugs and the blue/olive badge with the shiny chrome hardware and it's a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I have a vintage set that I love for its uniqueness, and the fact it came into being at the same time started going to concerts and loving rock. I see vintage sets all the time for reasonable prices.
I wouldn't buy from a copycat manufacturer, and I freely acknowledge that I'm a Ludwig snob.

Tinman

Lincoln Highway Drummer
Reaction score
All I know is have have used the original Ludwig Vistalites since the early '70s. Never had any problems with splits or cracks, and I love the sound they make.
These are mine lit with a par can light.

Attachments

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Short answer - seamless is the way to go. They can do the high and boinky thing such as we may have heard from the Vistalites and Fibes of yore - and they can do fat and warm as well - with single ply clear heads, which are less forgiving of sloppy tuning than are 2 ply heads.

Welded shells, such as the Vistalites and RCI, are inherently stressed, as is a bent piece of wood. Acrylic has a memory and wants to resume its initial configuration (under sufficient heat, it will). Seamless shells don't have this issue.

Acrylic can shatter, however, so get good cases and don't roll these downstairs at the end of the gig. The Tempi might survive; these probably won't.

Last edited:

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the look of some of the newer acrylics. But I've been gigging this 70's kit off and on since I bought it fifteen years ago, with absolutely no cracks, splits, or any other problem. The floor tom has bearing edge and roundness issues, but I've figured out how to make it work. All the rest are excellent. Love these drums.

Attachments

Latest posts