Vote for Kerrang's Greatest Drummers of All Time

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Britain's Kerrang magazine is asking drummers and readers to weigh in on The Greatest Rock Drummers of All Time!

The hard rock publication provides a list of 50 worthy nominees, but there are some obvious omissions. For example, Louis Bellson made the list, but not HellHammer (Mayhem).

It's also curious to see Stewart Copeland as a hard rock nominee, but not Frost (Satyricon).

I guess they see things differently across the pond.

Cast your vote: https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/vote-for-the-greatest-rock-drummer-of-all-time/

Andrian Erlandssen - At The Gates

Alan Cassidy - The Black Dahlia Murder

Aric Improta - Fever 333

Bill Ward - Black Sabbath

Brann Dailor - Mastodon

Chad Smith - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Charlie Benante - Anthrax

Chris Adler - Lamb of God, Megadeth

Jami Morgan - Code Orange

Chris Reifert - Autopsy, Death

Danny Carey - Tool

Dave Grohl - Nirvana, Foo Fighters

Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy

Gene Hoglan - Devin Townsend, Testament

Ginger Baker - Cream

Greg Fox - Liturgy

Ian Paice - Deep Purple

Igor Cavalera - Septulura

Jami Morgan - Code Orange

Jan Krause - Conjurder

Janet Weiss - Sleater-Kinney

Jimmy Chamberlin - Smashing Pumpkins

Joey Jordison - Slipknot, VIMIC

John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

John Dolmayan - System of a Down

John Tempesta - Rob Zombie, The Cult

Keith Moon - The Who

Lars Ulrich - Metallica

Louie Bellson

Martin Kearns - Bolt Thrower

Mike Bordin - Faith No More

Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater

Mikkey Dee - Motorhead

Neil Peart - Rush

Nick Barker - Cradle of Filth

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden

Paul Mazurkiewicz - Cannibal Corpse

Pete Sandoval - Morbid Angel

Peter Criss - KISS

Phil Taylor - Motorhead

Stefanie Mannaerts - Brutus

Steven Adler - Guns N’ Roses

Stewart Copeland - The Police

Taylor Hawkins - Foo Fighters

Terry Bozzio - Frank Zappa

Tomas Haake - Meshuggah

Tommy Lee - Motley Crue

Vinnie Paul - Pantera

Other

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is no criteria for this list, other than "amazing," "acrobatic," "innovative," and "celebrity" status, which are meaningless without practical and applicable definition. Define "great" in drumming terms. It's a senseless task; just a popularity contest, and should be named as such.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Actually, there is well-defined criteria. Clearly innovation is important, as playing amazes the audience and draws your attention. Also, I don't know who'd dispute the statement "when a drummer is great, they stand out."

What other criteria are you going to ask music fans to judge on, REF?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's been 2 months. Time for another "Greatest ________ Drummer" popularity contest. Back in the day, magazines actually had people writing articles and doing interviews! Wow....what a concept.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What does it mean to "stand out" to everybody? Watch the different definitions come in. For many people Charlie Watts is a great drummer simply because he stays out of everybody elses way and does NOT stand out, and has sold millions of records, which is a possible criteria. I can think of different drummers not on that list, like Dino Danelli, who could smoke most of the drummers on that list in his prime, if technique is a criteria, and definitely "stood out" as both a performer and matinee' idol in the Rascals, with his Paul McCartney looks, etc. That is why lists like this are senseless. They can never be anything more than a popularity contest. They are never exhaustive, and always leave credible options out. They never delve into actual criteria that is agreed to by people picking "winners" as if such a contest to pick such winners associated with a musical artistry should exist, anyway.

What does innovation mean in terms of drummers? Influence on technique? Influence on the production of the instrument, itself? Did I see Ringo on that list? Ah, but then we delve into the matter of who and what a "Rock" band is.

What is Louie doing on that list? How is Hal Blaine NOT on that list? He charted the way for Rock drummers, used the first drum set made of concert toms, and played on so many hit records it's ridiculous he is not on that list.

There are so many reasons why such lists can only be popularity contests.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
You're certainly free to cast a write-in ballot in this hard rock magazine's poll for the Rascals guy or Ringo. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'd be amused.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're certainly free to cast a write-in ballot in this hard rock magazine's poll for the Rascals guy or Ringo. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'd be amused.
Well, being amused itself, shows the ludicrous nature of their premise. Louie is on the list. Bozzio. Baker. Others that were or are not Metal drummers or heavy Rock drummers, if that is the bottom line. The list betrays their definition of Rock they are aiming at. Baker was a Jazz drummer in a heavy Blues Rock band. Bozzio playing with any of his bands in his career was not in the same category. Moon was not a heavy Rock drummer. Far from it. That is why I stated such lists get lost right at the beginning by who they place on it, and leave off it, without decent definitions, criteria, standards, and bench marks.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are so many reasons why such lists can only be popularity contests.
Exactly!! I'll say it again as it bears repeating, this is by far the laziest form of "journalism". So that someone doesn't have to actually think of an actual article, or spend time researching to do an interview with a musician. "I'll just throw together another useless poll and get everyone arguing. We'll list 50 names, with NO explanation as to why we think they are the GoAT and people can bicker on message boards for 2 pages. "

Yeah, you can say "Well you don't need to read this. Just ignore it." That's true. I won't spend any time looking at the poll, or the results because it's nothing more than a click-bait popularity contest to get people to go to their site so they'll see some ads and then buy something. Threads like this are useless too, because someone goes and mentions an "older" drum - god forbid from way back in the 70's :O and you disregard that as well - old. Whatever. You don't like older drummers and some of us do. Big deal, to each his/her own.

Maybe post a thread with "This is my favorite metal drummer (and why)" or "This is my favorite jazz drummer (and why)" and actually put some thought into what you like about them. Generate an actual discussion instead of simply stirring up a useless argument.

Sorry - "old man" isolation rant over.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly!! I'll say it again as it bears repeating, this is by far the laziest form of "journalism". So that someone doesn't have to actually think of an actual article, or spend time researching to do an interview with a musician. "I'll just throw together another useless poll and get everyone arguing. We'll list 50 names, with NO explanation as to why we think they are the GoAT and people can bicker on message boards for 2 pages. "

Yeah, you can say "Well you don't need to read this. Just ignore it." That's true. I won't spend any time looking at the poll, or the results because it's nothing more than a click-bait popularity contest to get people to go to their site so they'll see some ads and then buy something. Threads like this are useless too, because someone goes and mentions an "older" drum - god forbid from way back in the 70's :O and you disregard that as well - old. Whatever. You don't like older drummers and some of us do. Big deal, to each his/her own.

Maybe post a thread with "This is my favorite metal drummer (and why)" or "This is my favorite jazz drummer (and why)" and actually put some thought into what you like about them. Generate an actual discussion instead of simply stirring up a useless argument.

Sorry - "old man" isolation rant over.
I don't see it as a rant. There are "old guys" on the list, some deceased.

I would not mind such polls if a stated criteria or standard was actually posed but, it never is. It's just random, and you're right: all it can engender is arguing because of necessary information always left out.