Wacky idea

wackjob

Reaction score
I have lots of crazy drum building ideas. Here is one inspired by premier's 6mm undersized shells.

Hows about you get a virgin 12" tom shell and fit a 13" hoop and head. It will be half an inch bigger all the way around so the lugs would need to have a spacer to get them further out from the shell. Or you could do a single tension thing and have no lugs.

It could be done with other sizes as well - 14" heads on a 13" shell, 15" on a 14" shell, 16" on a 15" shell. Not sure 17" hoops and heads are available ? Same with snares and bass drums.

Would it work or even worth the effort in trying ?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're right....that's whacked out! I don't think the head will sit right under pressure.....and it won't get tight enough to sound good......

wackjob

Reaction score
Bugger it. Just when i thought i had a new idea it turns out someone has already done it. But maybe it works after all. I read the extender toms were a bit boingy but that could be due to the toms being concert toms (batter heads only).

I might try it with a 12" tom and some old 13"hoops and heads i have laying around

drumtek

Reaction score
I like wacky ideas. Post how the experiment goes.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sat behind the Pearl set...I think that one problem was that the bearing edge sits up higher and would be prone to damage from errant hits. Sounded good, but didn't really sound better.

REF

Reaction score
IIRC Tommy Campbell used those Pearl's at a Zildjian Day performance.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl did it...80s...called them Dresden toms I think after the Dresden Tympony that employ it. said to give a deeper sound out of a smaller shell

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Pearl did it...80s...called them Dresden toms I think after the Dresden Tympony that employ it. said to give a deeper sound out of a smaller shell
I imagine it puts the bearing edge at risk though. Kind of exposed to stick hits.