Walberg & Auge Snare day

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Photo Oct 27, 11 26 18 AM.jpg
Photo Oct 27, 11 19 54 AM.jpg
Photo Oct 27, 11 21 34 AM.jpg

Photo Oct 27, 11 26 18 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 26 32 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 26 43 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 27 12 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 27 38 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 19 54 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 20 14 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 21 34 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 21 58 AM.jpg Photo Oct 27, 11 22 14 AM.jpg
Just weathering a wet Nor-Easter and had nothing else going on.
These were catching my eye for some reason on the shelf.
They all are unique in there own way and all but the Mahogany has a kit to go with them.
Just thought it would be cool to see some of the other W&A snares that might be out there.
Here are mine:
1. Blue Oyster pearl is from the "Big Blue" kit (black Interiors)
2. Oyster Black pearl is from early 60's I believe (black interiors)
3. Natural finish 2014 snare is #0001 first snare from Rob Kampa and Jeremy's restarting of W&A Co.
4. Mahogany snare 2016 is #116 also Rob Kampa (this one is exceptionally sweet sounding)

Please share yours if you like.
Wayne

Last edited:

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice orvilleb,
In great shape. Is it a RGB?

Wayne

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow...tell me more about the tuning of the 'big blue' snare.
I have a 50s (I think) WMP and a natural (70s?) that was a student snare at first (single tension I think).

the BOP toms/bass I own are dated in the early 70s. I love the snare extenders on the BOP snare.

FWIW I have a black 16x16 I'm going to rewrap the existing BOP I have.

orvilleb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow...tell me more about the tuning of the 'big blue' snare.
I have a 50s (I think) WMP and a natural (70s?) that was a student snare at first (single tension I think).

the BOP toms/bass I own are dated in the early 70s. I love the snare extenders on the BOP snare.

FWIW I have a black 16x16 I'm going to rewrap the existing BOP I have.
I'm not the best advisor on tuning. To the aficionados, I probably killed the tone by too tight heads and over dampening to eliminate any resonance or ringing. Admit, I didn't know what I was doing. Sorry! I am no longer actively playing due to hearing issues (bad tuning perhaps)?

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dtk, I think you might be asking about the tuning on the "big blue" 1930's snare.
This as you know is quite the rare bird, I took a shot of the lug threads and the sleeve that screws into that to hopefully show you how it works.
It is quite neat and kind of ingenious if you ask me and I haven't seen anything like it.
It does take the special hex key and tunes up nicely with the die cast hoops for a more evenly tighten head.
Do you still have pictures of your snares?
The BOP snare came with the RadioKing strainer and I believe is one of the last with the black interiors which is usually related to George Bernard.
Photo Nov 07, 1 46 28 PM.jpg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
OHHHH...thanks for taking a picture of 30s snare/single screw lug...that's wild.

My older W/A has a black interior, rocket lugs and diecast hoops but what's sooo w/a is that the screws they used on the rocket lugs were too long...so they added little squares of wood (which are rounded) to make them work. I would imagine it adds to the drums drier sound (sort of like hammered on the inside). How difficult would it have been to get screws that fit?

I had another W/A where the lugs weren't centered...and the drum had two lengths of their rods. That one had the wiring for a light bulb as I recall.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
OHHHH...thanks for taking a picture of 30s snare/single screw lug...that's wild.

My older W/A has a black interior, rocket lugs and diecast hoops but what's sooo w/a is that the screws they used on the rocket lugs were too long...so they added little squares of wood (which are rounded) to make them work. I would imagine it adds to the drums drier sound (sort of like hammered on the inside). How difficult would it have been to get screws that fit?

I had another W/A where the lugs weren't centered...and the drum had two lengths of their rods. That one had the wiring for a light bulb as I recall.
Indeed I have that drum now and love it!

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Here's my 1968 Walberg. 4x14 Jasper shell, single tension hex lug screws, RGB. I got this back in the very late 80s when I was working and gigging in Worcester, about 20 minutes from my hometown. According to Jeremy Esposito, this pearl/sparkle wrap was probably a reject from one of the major manufactures of the day. I have some orphan toms as well in a similar pearl wrap with Rogers lugs. I still have the original hardware; I replaced everything to make it useable and tuneable. Used it this weekend - sounded really great!

Attachments

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
1017182221.jpg
wa snares.jpg
older snare badge.jpg
ah-I forgot I had a picture of the wood twins (sold the one w/the wood hoops)...and I just refurbed the marcher. I have another shell like it that's undrilled. Was tempted to make it a floor tom.

Latest posts