Walberg & Auge?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I posted a WFL thread here yesterday and now believe these drums are Walberg & Auge:
http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/147112-new-to-me-wflsquestions/

Hopefully some of of you Walberg & Auge connoisseurs can lead me in the right direction! Do any of you own W & A kits with 3 ply Gretsch shells with added rerings? Does anyone have a W & A kit that has silver sealer, not the black interiors. Also, does anybody own one that is drilled for Classic lugs? I'm kind of at at loss....

I messaged the W & A page and they answered: "Thanks for the post! Very interesting drum! The faucet handle t rods appear to be Rogers. The drum could have been modified by W&A but difficult to tell. W&A mostly used Gretsch shells. I havent seen a W&A Drum with Ludwig lugs... but you never know. The vent grommet doesnt appear to W&A."

Thanks for any help!
Andy Stewart aka Funkypoodle

Attachments

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had and seen quite a few W&A over the years 40's thru 60's. Black or natural interiors 3 or 6 ply no rings.no silver.
These don't resemble any of the drums I've come across.
Without a proper badge,tag ,interior decal or hand written initials and a date
there's really nothing here that suggests W&A.

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
the W/A's I've seen have had either rogers or Gretsch lugs (or one sided tuning). could the Ludwig lugs fit the Rogers or Gretsch holes?

I've also had a few W/A drums and don't recall seeing silver sealer...but...it could be done after.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
jptrickster said:
I've had and seen quite a few W&A over the years 40's thru 60's. Black or natural interiors 3 or 6 ply no rings.no silver.
These don't resemble any of the drums I've come across.
Without a proper badge,tag ,interior decal or hand written initials and a date
there's really nothing here that suggests W&A.
Damn, that is swwwweeeettt !!! ;-)

bopdaddy

Reaction score
I've got 2 w&a kits 71'&74,both are Gretsch 6 ply ,silver interior, hand signed by RGB

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bopdaddy said:
I've got 2 w&a kits 71'&74,both are Gretsch 6 ply ,silver interior, hand signed by RGB
Cool. Another one! THere's one I found on VDF that has one tom with silver sealer and all others black: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=49818

dtk said:
the W/A's I've seen have had either rogers or Gretsch lugs (or one sided tuning). could the Ludwig lugs fit the Rogers or Gretsch holes?

I've also had a few W/A drums and don't recall seeing silver sealer...but...it could be done after.
So far I have read about W & A having Gretsch. Rogers, Ludwig, Fibes lugs or lugs of their own design (earlier on), but just for fun, can anybody tell me if the hole spacing on Gretsch lugs from are the same as Classic lugs?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From my research so far the hole spacing on vintage Gretsch lugs seem to be 1 5/16". Ludwig small classic lug spacing is 1 1/4" and the large is 1 11/16". There is no redrilling of any kind on my kit, so looks like it was always drilled for large Classic lugs.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=377192044

I just stumbled upon this W & A for sale with a text by the owner:

"I am the second owner. In about 1977 my teacher, Gregory Caputo, sold them to me. He was the original owner. We lived in Massachusetts. He had W&A construct the drums. I recently had an email exchange with him about these drums.

As any drummer at that time could do, Caputo went to the Walberg and Auge factory in Auburn Massachusetts to have them assemble his dream drum set. You could pick whatever combination of components you wanted from any of the major drum companies and W&A would build that drummers "dream" kit. The customer had a choice between Rogers or Gretsch shells and perhaps Ludwig shells. They could choose whatever hardware they wanted. He chose Rogers shells. At first Caputo had them install Ludwig tom mounts on the toms and the bass drum. He chose Gretsch die cast hoops, Slingerland bass drum hoops with Slingerland BD claws and "T" tension rods. He chose the wrap from the Ludwig wraps of the time".

So far nothing has lead me away from believing my drums W & A, especially now that I have found other existing examples with Gretsch shells with silver sealer & re-rings. I think the key for me now is to understand what W & A's custom bearing edge profile is and compare it to my drums. Can anybody here clear me up on W & A bearing edges? As for the WFL badge, I have a funny feeling that will remain a mystery...Thanks for any help!!

Latest posts