header.nohb.html

Walking snare???

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, last night was one of "those" band jobs - if it could go wrong, it did.

Playing a local music venue that has a stage rug so I didn't put mine down. During the first song something weird happened that has not happened to me in 38+ years of playing - as I played my snare, it "walked" back into me and only stopped when it hit my inner thighs. It happened all night and was as miserable as the more common wandering bass drum. Is this a thing??? I was playing a 5.5" x 14" Dunnett titanium on a Yamaha Crosstown stand, so I'm faulting the lightweight stand/stage rug interaction, but I've used this stand about a year and this has never happened.

Anyone else experience this?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Leaving aside (for the moment) the classic drummer/drool joke .......

was the stage level?

M.
That'd have to be a pretty good pitch for stuff on a rug to move around.

Like a "what the hell am I doing on this stage" pitch.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play lots of rimshot backbeats and my snare drums have always 'danced around' on stage between my legs and required repositioning between every song or two, but I never had one move so much that it was against my thighs. BTW, the dancing snare drum stopped in 2013 when I got Ludwig's top-of-the-line LAP23SSL Atlas snare stand, which behaves like it's nailed to the floor.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Tama classic lightweight snare stand. If my drum rug (crash pad) is on a smooth floor, the stand creeps quite a bit.
I keep a slightly heavier snare stand in my car in case that happens.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stage was perfectly level and my setup for rock music is a flat snare. I do like robust backbeat rimshots with 2/3 of the stick on the head, but that’s a constant.
Just extremely odd. A heavier snare stand would likely solve the issue, though defeats the whole trying-to-travel-with-lighter-gear thing.

Ludwig4life

Reaction score
I play lots of rimshot backbeats and my snare drums have always 'danced around' on stage between my legs and required repositioning between every song or two, but I never had one move so much that it was against my thighs. BTW, the dancing snare drum stopped in 2013 when I got Ludwig's top-of-the-line LAP23SSL Atlas snare stand, which behaves like it's nailed to the floor.
Love Ludwig atlas snare stand!

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stage was perfectly level and my setup for rock music is a flat snare. I do like robust backbeat rimshots with 2/3 of the stick on the head, but that’s a constant.
Just extremely odd. A heavier snare stand would likely solve the issue, though defeats the whole trying-to-travel-with-lighter-gear thing.
Maybe you were throwing down and didn't realize it.

Adult beverage maybe before the show?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside ......

I certainly experienced the "hopping snare drum and stand" phenomenon playing loud rock covers without any reinforcement on the kit ...... and I'm hardly a heavy hitter. Luddy Supra on a '70s Atlas snare stand - a pretty basic medium weight setup in the early '80s. In those days I guess I was tightening the basket maybe a bit too tight (?) ....... but I guess I'd rather have the snare and stand work it's way between my knees that have the drum hop off the stand ..........

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What....you didn’t notice the bass players extra exuberant foot tapping....??
They had tied a string to your snare stand attached to their shoe....
Did the drum move towards you in time? If so you and the bass player were totally locked in!!!
bt

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Hmmm…only time I ever ran into that was when I was using 8” deep snares (no rimshots, wanted fat city) back before the lower snare baskets started coming out. I’ve always preferred my snares either flat or angled a bit forward. Once I got stands designed for 8”’s to be flat, issue went away.