Wallace Roney has died

Reaction score
I just heard this from a mutual friend of ours.

It comes with great sadness to share that Wallace Roney has died from this awful virus.

His children must be in our prayers, they just lost their mother recently as well. As well as being a great musician, friend, family member, and (most importantly) father, Wallace was a friend and fan of great drumming and drummers.

Everyone PLEASE stay safe, follow the distancing and quarantine rules that have been established.

Rest in peace old friend.
Wallace Roney
1960-2020

Gutted and sad,
MSG

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jimmy Cobb - bateria Wallace Roney - trompete Javon Jackson - saxofone Vincent Herring - saxofone Buster Williams - contrabaixo Larry Willis - piano

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible, there's been others Joe Diffie, who had some country hits in the 90's, local guitarist John Lockhart of Suede....sounds like John Prine is better thankfully. Also read today that Ray Benson has it. He said he's been in isolation so not sure how he got it, evidently someone he's been around has not.

What It Is

Reaction score
That's terrible. A real gentlemen who too often was pigeonholed as "the next Miles" because he stepped up to play with the quintet and other groups after Miles' passing. Great tone. Pretty soon, each of us will personally know someone who has contracted, or unfortunately passed, from this virus. Damn. RIP Wallace. Stay safe everyone.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's terrible. A real gentlemen who too often was pigeonholed as "the next Miles" because he stepped up to play with the quintet and other groups after Miles' passing. Great tone. Pretty soon, each of us will personally know someone who has contracted, or unfortunately passed, from this virus. Damn. RIP Wallace. Stay safe everyone.
You're exactly right. Wallace is/was the first person I knew personally to succumb to this. It's surreal.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So terribly sad. Seems like yesterday I was watching video of Miles literally turning his trumpet over to him and passing the torch. Thanks for posting those Cobb videos, they're stunning. Beautiful playing all round.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Very sad news , Wallace first caught my attention on Tony Williams’ album Story of Neptune . Wallace was a superb player .

i recall reading an interview with Wallace where he mentioned that he owned one of Tony’s yellow Gretsch kits .

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I just heard this from a mutual friend of ours.

It comes with great sadness to share that Wallace Roney has died from this awful virus.

His children must be in our prayers, they just lost their mother recently as well. As well as being a great musician, friend, family member, and (most importantly) father, Wallace was a friend and fan of great drumming and drummers.

Everyone PLEASE stay safe, follow the distancing and quarantine rules that have been established.

Rest in peace old friend.
Wallace Roney
1960-2020

Gutted and sad,
MSG
Somewhere I have some video I taped off of BET on Jazz back in the 90's (before it became its own cable channel), introducing a new "Young Lion" named Wallace Roney.
Very sad to hear this news.
The whole community is now poorer for his loss.
My condolences to his friends and family.

Elvis

vivapapajo

Reaction score
Oh man. That makes me sad. I feel terrible for his family. Saw him play many times with Tony and Elvin. A special talent.