Walnut Snare?

RebusKyle

Reaction score
I'm looking at a snare on ebay right now that is apparently walnut. Does anyone here have any walnut drums or have you played any? What type of tone/character do they have? I'm assuming that since it's a pretty solid wood it's going to be a brighter & tighter sound......

Anyone?

Thnx for the help!
Kyle

tomtomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it solid? Or an outer ply of walnut laminated on a keller shell?

Or stave? Or steambent single-ply (like a Vaughncraft shell?)

http://vaughncraft.com/index.php?id=2

I've heard those Vaughncraft walnut shells and they sounded good to me. Seems like Bob C reviewed these guys recently in one of the drum trade mags.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I had a Hard Bop walnut stave snare. Nice sounding drum but 13's are really not for me as I do a lot of cross sticking and the sweet spot was an acquired taste. Pretty warm from what I remember. If it had been a 14, I would've kept it.

R

RickP

I played a Mapex Deep Forest Walnut snare and was very impressed with it - it has a deeper fudamental pitche than your typical maple drum , but I liked that with this drum.It was a ply shell walnut snare drum and was very resonant.The overtones pitch was deeper than a comparable maple drum- volume wise I think the maple shells are louder and would cut through the mix better.

Tom Wells makes steambent shells in a number of different woods , maybe you can pm him for a better assesment of a solid walnut shell.

RebusKyle

Reaction score
RickP said:
I played a Mapex Deep Forest Walnut snare and was very impressed with it - it has a deeper fudamental pitche than your typical maple drum , but I liked that with this drum.It was a ply shell walnut snare drum and was very resonant.The overtones pitch was deeper than a comparable maple drum- volume wise I think the maple shells are louder and would cut through the mix better.

Tom Wells makes steambent shells in a number of different woods , maybe you can pm him for a better assesment of a solid walnut shell.
NICE! I was kind of hoping for a lower fundamental pitch....this drum is quite a sexy beast and I've been on the market for one, so hopefully I'll win the auction :D

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Walnut has a slightly brighter sound than maple. It is also a bit louder. It is sort of in the same tonal range as oak. We have a Dunnett solid walnut in our store (6.5x14).

RebusKyle

Reaction score
franke said:
Walnut has a slightly brighter sound than maple. It is also a bit louder. It is sort of in the same tonal range as oak. We have a Dunnett solid walnut in our store (6.5x14).

HMMMMMMM.....louder is not really what I wanted. This is a 5.5x14. I have a 7x14 N&C that is just too loud (I LOVE the drum...just too loud), and I'm hoping this one won't fall into that category (if I get it!!)....

R

RickP

I found this review for a Mapex Deep Forest Walnut Black Panther snare drum like the one I treid - now one caveat, I didn't mention rimshots in my previous post as the Music I was playing when I tried one didn't call for any high volumes.I did think that the Walnut snare didn't sound as loud as my usual solid maple shell snare drum.I defer to Franke's post regarding volume.

If you've never heard a walnut drum before, imagine a maple drum without the higher harmonic overtones and comparative brightness, and instead with a deeper overall tone, rich lower and middle harmonics, and a darker, earthier presence. With these sound characteristics, the Black Panther Walnut's dark harmonics rang true throughout a range of tensions from low to high. The drum's earthy character was exceptionally dynamic and sensitive, offering both rich brushwork and the most astounding, thunderous rimshot crack I've ever heard. Seriously, the first time I laid one down I was in such awe that I missed a beat in disbelief.

I own a stave walnut kit;20,12,14,6.5x14 that i made about 15 yrs ago.Its the most interesting kit i,ve ever used bar none.Its sensitive and powerful and i have a problem explaining the huge sound from them,so i dont.It has to be largely due to the walnut itself,and a combo of stave construction.They are dark like nothing else i,ve heard so enjoy them,or it.I was offered a lot of money for these but i cant bring myself to sell them.I guess it just was,nt quite enough :oops:

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a 6.5x14 made with a Vaughncraft shell. It's mighty fine. I say go for it!

VC are the suppliers of solid shells at this time almost across the board.That includes all the botique and custom finish guys.They sure are popular over at Ghostnote,where a lot of builder/hobbyists share thier formulas :lol:

Oh yeah...I believe JC is using steam to bend his shells,and that does make a difference.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow !!! Very impressive. :occasion5:
I've used a 30's Solid steam bent Ludwig walnut 14x6.5 with a pretty complicated SS thro. It was a huge sounding drum, and thats always stuck with me.This may very well be the start of a new obsession... :? Nice prize for you !! Benny K.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Hmm... what makes you think it's walnut?
Maybe it's just your pics, but American (Black) Walnut has a deeper, redder brown color, even with a natural finish. I have no idea what DW ever offered as "exotic" shell woods but if I were to guess from looking at those pics I might not guess Walnut first.
It is, however, a beautiful drum, and I know that if it's a Craviotto, it's going to sound fantastic whatever species it is.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
First off, you have to get an apple to apple thing going on. When I've had the chance to compare drums side by side of identical layup I would say that walnut is not a bright sounding wood as compared to others. Rather I would say it's slightly warmer, definitely fatter and looser sounding than the typical maple shells out there. Oak, because it is so hard, would be very bright and shorter sounding. If the drum is steam bent than all those attributes the walnut has would be even more so...from what I've heard. The construction of the shell is real important and easily as important as the wood itself..an oak could be warmer and a walnut could end up brighter in some cases if made more rigid. I'm talking some of Wayne's shells, Arnie Lang and Beni hand crafted instruments. Haven't played the Dunnett wood drums.

RebusKyle

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input folks....seems like a few of you have had very different experiences with walnut. The Ebay seller posted that it is walnut, so I really don't have any reason to not believe him (seems like a solid dude). Bottom line is that it's a craviotto, wood hoops (which somewhat match my ayottes), and it's got the custom lugs (not the camco/dw lugs).

I'd love to hear any more experience with walnut drums as I've never owned one. Maybe it's not as drastic as say maple vs. birch which may be why there seem to be so many differing opinions.....

once again thanks for the input!

-kyle

I'll definitely post some sound clips once I get it!!

R

RickP

One thing I found interesting about this Walnut snare drum was the fact that it had matching reinforcing rings.The Walnut Craviottos I have seen pictures of all had maple reinforcing rings.I am sure he must have made some with matching reinforcing rings as well.Regardless , this is a really nice looking snare drum
and I bet it sounds great.