Walnut Snare?

RebusKyle

Reaction score
So....the drum arrived yesterday! I didn't have a chance to take any pics with my kit (will do that tonight :D ), but I did get to have a quick session last night with it.

Definitely "darker" sound than maple with nice body. Not too loud, but projects nicely so I won't have to work as hard! The wood hoops are cool and they look SUPER sweet with my Ayotte kit, but man are they big! They don't necessarily raise too high off the drum, but the width is crazy! I'm thinking about putting them on my N&C snare and trying the die cast hoops from my N&C snare.....they're both 10 lug drums so I shouldn't have a problem.

The range of tone is great! I forgot how much of a range the solid shell snares have.....and I love it! It's got all the qualities of my N&C snare, but with a darker more "full" sound.

I'll post some pics tonight!

Anyone here use the Yamaha wood hoops? The top hoop is a bit "worn," which is kind of a bummer b/c the seller didn't say anything about it! I'm happy with the purchase, but he really should have included the wear on the hoops in the listing. I'm wondering if this is standard for the yamaha wood hoops....my Ayottes are like 8 years old and they barely have a scratch!

Anyone??

tupela

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. That snare looks classy, and more importantly, it's nice to hear that it's a new "flavour" of sound. If you get a chance, could you post some soundclips? I've yet to hear a solid wood snare. Anyways, great purchase. Enjoy-tupela

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
I found this review for a Mapex Deep Forest Walnut Black Panther snare drum like the one I treid - now one caveat, I didn't mention rimshots in my previous post as the Music I was playing when I tried one didn't call for any high volumes.I did think that the Walnut snare didn't sound as loud as my usual solid maple shell snare drum.I defer to Franke's post regarding volume.

If you've never heard a walnut drum before, imagine a maple drum without the higher harmonic overtones and comparative brightness, and instead with a deeper overall tone, rich lower and middle harmonics, and a darker, earthier presence. With these sound characteristics, the Black Panther Walnut's dark harmonics rang true throughout a range of tensions from low to high. The drum's earthy character was exceptionally dynamic and sensitive, offering both rich brushwork and the most astounding, thunderous rimshot crack I've ever heard. Seriously, the first time I laid one down I was in such awe that I missed a beat in disbelief.
I've got a 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I'll take pictures if interested.

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
I played a Mapex Deep Forest Walnut snare and was very impressed with it - it has a deeper fudamental pitche than your typical maple drum , but I liked that with this drum.It was a ply shell walnut snare drum and was very resonant.The overtones pitch was deeper than a comparable maple drum- volume wise I think the maple shells are louder and would cut through the mix better.

Tom Wells makes steambent shells in a number of different woods , maybe you can pm him for a better assesment of a solid walnut shell.
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!
OH MY GOSH!! Someone please help Mrs. Turner out with a little proper board operating instructions.... you just pulled an 11 year old thread to the front in order to tell us you have a drum set for sale? TWICE!

Please post in the correct "for sale" threads.

Latest posts