Want to convert 14" tom to bass drum

mspark

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a lightweight bass drum for outdoor playing by converting a 14" Fibes tom. I have the Pearl Jungle Gig foot pedal adapter and rim mount it fits into which I had used on a 16" floor tom previously but this doesn't fit well on a 14" rim (had to add a bunch of washers) and it is a really heavy affair.

Anyone know of simpler, lighter equipment to attach the foot pedal and raise up the tom? Hoping for something off-the-shelf, as I'm not a great DIYer.

Also, I'm willing to drill holes for spurs for the front end. Don't want to lug around a separate cradle. Any ideas for sturdy, lightweight spurs that will reasonably stay put and not swivel? Thanks.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How much weight are you going to save by using a 14" "bass" drum? Does it really justify the other expenses and effort? Is a 14" drum really going to be an acceptable sounding kick?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had a fully converted 16" tom as bass drum in the past and nothing was gained in footprint even though it was nice and punchy. A 14'" sounds a bit too small to me and maybe if weight and portability are the aims then maybe something like this which I saw recently would be a better option...this is a 20" one head cut down to 8". I know DW makes one (Pan Bass Drum) but that is outrageously expensive. This one is locally made or from China. Not sure.....
188562896_3985165321562729_6079069770264951128_n.jpg

mspark

Reaction score
It's also the size -- all gear needs to fit on handtruck and maybe be hauled on a subway. The drum actually sounds ok dampened. I'm using a fibes snare, so thought it'd be cool to use other fibes drums.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 70's Slingy 10x14 tom sitting around and converted it into a bass. Used wood hoops and small claws and regular tension rods. Used some old MIJ spurs. Used a Dixson riser for the pedal. The coolest feature, IMO, was that I put an old Ludwig snare basket through the Slingy setomatic tom mount and a piece of hardware at the bottom of the bass inside to receive the basket rod to give it stability. I also added a Gretsch cymbal holder and repro Gretsch cymbal arm.

Super light, easy to load in/out. The 14" in a 14x14 tom bag will also hold the snare (towel in between). Thus one bag for drums. Plus your cymbal bag, kick pedal and throne. I did a small outdoor museum gig with a 19" flat ride, hats, vintage snare and it was sweet......

Slingy 14 Gretsh snare.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need hoops or even bass heads. However, you can't use bass heads with rims due to the larger collar. If I recall, my batter side was a coated emperor dot with some tape on the back side for some thickening to create low end. Just regular heads, though, not bass heads.

As for hoops, I wanted a traditional look, plus liked the light wood/medium wood contrast. It's a fluke the snare sort of matched. The snare would be cool with wood hoops, but I didn't have a 2nd pair at that time.

If you use a Dixson riser, it tucks behind the rim, doesn't attach (the shell sits on it), and the pedal holds it secure so the bass won't slide forward (helps to have velcro on the bottom of your pedal. I normally have a drum rug but here, I just used a small piece of felt to protect the bass and the pedal attached to it.