Wanted 1960's Champagne Gretsch 14x14 floor tom

tdk

Reaction score
Hello
I am looking for a 1960's Gretsch round badge Champagne Sparkle 14x14 floor tom to complete a set.
I do have a born together Champagne 1960's Gretsch set 14x20, 14x14, 8x12 that i could use to trade or sell if anyone is interested. No extra holes and all original. I could use the toms from this set but I have too many drums sitting around and i will not split the set up. I also have a rewrap burgundy gretsch 1960's 14x18, 14x14, 8x12 i would use as partial trade.
I have a 14x18 re-wrap champagne sparkle and an 8x12 that i would use with the 14x14 if i find it.
Please let me know if you know of one and thank you very much for your time nd help

Attachments

• 20211203_134732.jpg
    20211203_134732.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211012_202511.jpg
    20211012_202511.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30

Gretschrbguy

Reaction score
Hi there- I am new to this forum. It has been useful and fun... I am doing my new year project list and that includes building a kit from some of my orphan shells. I have a 20,12,14 project (the14 wrap is shot). I also have an extra 14x14 RB that I might considering parting with. I have been scouring ebay to see what they are going for but can't find any numbers,, likely because they are so rare... any thoughts?
my extra 14x14 is rb in champagne sparkle - 4 digit serial# + a leading zero (0XXXX). The wrap is 'OK' but shows some age and has a band of discoloration... Any way- just thought I'd throw it out there...
Thanks,

Gretschrbguy

Reaction score
PS- what did you use for your burgundy re-wrap?? I have two burgundy kits (22,13,16 and a 20,12,12,16) I ordered a 'custom' match for the gretsch burgundy from a guy and it took over a year to get (I re-wrapped a 13 to replace one of the 12s as this is the kit I play the most.). and it ended up being an 'ok' match but not exact...... just curious...

tdk

Reaction score
Hello Gretschrbguy
I sent you a private message.
Thanks and take care
T

tdk

Reaction score
Hello again
I would like to bu the 14 fro you so please contact me and thank you again.

Gretschrbguy

Reaction score
Hello
I am looking for a 1960's Gretsch round badge Champagne Sparkle 14x14 floor tom to complete a set.
I do have a born together Champagne 1960's Gretsch set 14x20, 14x14, 8x12 that i could use to trade or sell if anyone is interested. No extra holes and all original. I could use the toms from this set but I have too many drums sitting around and i will not split the set up. I also have a rewrap burgundy gretsch 1960's 14x18, 14x14, 8x12 i would use as partial trade.
I have a 14x18 re-wrap champagne sparkle and an 8x12 that i would use with the 14x14 if i find it.
Please let me know if you know of one and thank you very much for your time nd help
Hi there- I have sent several messages through the forum and they have all bounced.
I put a full description of my 14x14 RB champagne sparkle in the attached word doc.
You mentioned that you sent me a private message... Not sure if I received it..
Anyway- hope this makes it to you..
Jerry
Hi There-

I apologize for not getting back to you- I had a technology meltdown and was without email all week.

I picked up this 14x14 probably 20+ yrs ago thinking that it would be part of a ‘project’ eventually. That time has come,,, I was thinking of re-wrapping it and combining it with some other orphan RB shells. But the wrap is really in ‘decent’ shape for a ~60 yr old drum. I would like to get ~$800 if I sell it.

Here's the general description:

Shell: Silver sealer, paper tag -serial#08656 so probably early to mid 60’s, No extra holes, 6 ply.

Bearing edges: bottom is very clean with a very small void in one of the middle plys (1/16” x 1/32”).

Top- has a little larger void in the same ply. There is an area (~3/4” long) where a repair was performed. It looks functional but an obvious repair.

Wrap: Slight overall discoloration- consistent with age. Will provide picture with lug removed. There is a band of darker discoloration (brownish ??) that measures ~5.5” long and ½” to 1” wide centered about 1.5” below the top edge. Will provide picture. There are areas of discoloration and scratches near the bearing edges. The seam is lifting and should be re-glued.

Lugs: Larger (bass drum) lugs. This is the only 14x14 I have seen with the larger lugs. Not sure what that means… Pitting consistent with a 60 yr old drum. Dirty- I have not cleaned or polished anything but I think they will clean nicely. Missing one lug screw.

Mufflers: 2 appear to be original and functioning.

Leg brackets- diamond shape. 2 of them should probably be re-tapped and they would function OK but they are dirty, scratched and it looks like somebody tried to drill and extra hole..? The third one actually accepts a screw but somebody ground part of it down- why would somebody do that??? I would probably replace all 3…

Round Badge: intact

Missing: Rims, heads, legs, screws for leg brackets.

I can’t think of anything else- As I said, I purchased it for a ‘project’. If you salvage the shell and wrap you will likely need to put more into is. If you are still interested let me know and I can send some pictures. It has been some time since I saw a 14x14 RB on ebay. But just recently I saw one- a burgundy sparkle – asking $2500- It looked very clean but I don’t think anyone would pay that kind of $$....

Thanks,

Jerry

tdk

Reaction score
Hello again
Thank you very much for the reply. yes i m very interested.
I would love to see pictures of the drum so if you could send me pictures that would be great. I sent you a private message with my email address so if you could send them there that would work best. if you do not know how to get your private messages there is a small envelope picture in the top right side of this screen.
Thanks again and take care
Tony

Gretschrbguy

Reaction score
Hello again
Thank you very much for the reply. yes i m very interested.
I would love to see pictures of the drum so if you could send me pictures that would be great. I sent you a private message with my email address so if you could send them there that would work best. if you do not know how to get your private messages there is a small envelope picture in the top right side of this screen.
Thanks again and take care
Tony
Hi Tony-
There is nothing from you in the little letter icon. Can you email me directly? [email protected]