Was Taylor Hawkins playing a Gretsch kit with Leedy lugs last night?

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched a clip of the Foo Fighters from Saturday Night Live last night, and it really looked to me like he had Leedy beaver tail lugs on his kit. His front bass head said Gretsch, though. I wonder what's going on....maybe Leedy isn't dead?

Last edited:

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just watched a clip of the Foo Fighters from Saturday Night live last night, and it really looked to me like he had Leedy box lugs on his kit. His front bass head said Gretsch, though. I wonder what's going on....maybe Leedy isn't dead?
Looks like Leedy lugs- Fred Gretsch owns the Leedy trademark, and every few years they sell some snares to keep it alive under law (i have one) and the snares were just Gretsch shells with Leedy lugs. But with DW in the picture I am very confused how this would all work now- but it could have been an older set. My snare is about 10 years old.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They looked Gretsch to my old eyes.......his snare sounded great on that new song Shame, although the song was so so....

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The slow-fast Times Like These was amazing. I could care less about lugs, but of course he’s not bringing some off-the-shelf BS. His drum tech needs something to do all day.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor's kit seems a bit smaller than usual as well. I think everything is getting lower.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I really want to like them. And yet....

Reaction score
Maybe there is no good (well maintained) Gretsch kits in NYC for rent, I know of one high level Gretsch endorser that had that issue a while back (before COVID.) No doubt times like these (ha, see what I did there?) have had an affect on the backline and rental companies (SIR, GC Pro Support, Artie Smith, etc) as well, and the Foo's definitely ain't on tour. Are they even on a promo tour, or was this a one-off? Whatever the fact, I can't wait to hear the new record!!!

MSG

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fred Gretsch owns the Leedy name which he got when he bought Slingerland but then kept when he sold that brand. I'd guess that Leedy also is not part of his distribution deal with DW because he seems to be pretty smart about these things.

I saw the show but just assumed that they were regular Gretsch drums, but Gretsch does own dies to make those lugs and has the rights to do so...so who knows?

evilg99

Reaction score
Maybe there is no good (well maintained) Gretsch kits in NYC for rent, I know of one high level Gretsch endorser that had that issue a while back (before COVID.) No doubt times like these (ha, see what I did there?) have had an affect on the backline and rental companies (SIR, GC Pro Support, Artie Smith, etc) as well, and the Foo's definitely ain't on tour. Are they even on a promo tour, or was this a one-off? Whatever the fact, I can't wait to hear the new record!!!

MSG
Even with the backline companies having a hard go, surely Steve Maxwells ( a 20 minute walk from 30 Rock) could fix them up?