Washboard!

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The WB Rhythm Kings are featured on this compilation CD that I have. (incl. 'Sloppy Drunk Blues' ... great title !)
This is all great stuff here, I recommend this album if you can find it.

wbs.jpg

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
playing some stripped down blues at an Albany bar, with my friend John (several years ago).. I don't think he knew at the time that I was dating his ex-wife... as of Dec. 30th she is now my wife !!

WB.jpg

(he's now happily re-married as well)

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the Washboard Serenaders/Rhythm Kings etc. I bought some thimbles, but never got round to buying the board! Too much clutter in my place as things stand. I play spoons and 'dan moi'. Started on Jaws Harp but chipped a tooth so went with the 'safer' (bloody lethal edges to the vibrating blade!) dan moi option.

As energy becomes more expensive, surely there'll be a drive for more folk/acoustic orientated performers? There's been a little bit of a folk revival among young kids in the UK, so things look promising.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DrumGerry said:
Love the Washboard Serenaders/Rhythm Kings etc. I bought some thimbles, but never got round to buying the board! Too much clutter in my place as things stand. I play spoons and 'dan moi'. Started on Jaws Harp but chipped a tooth so went with the 'safer' (bloody lethal edges to the vibrating blade!) dan moi option.

As energy becomes more expensive, surely there'll be a drive for more folk/acoustic orientated performers? There's been a little bit of a folk revival among young kids in the UK, so things look promising.
You too ? Ha ! Yeah I have a couple brass dan-moi's from Vietnam. Jews harp (and spoons) are some of my main things. Got two USA-made Whitlow j-harps, one in G and one in E, those are my gigging harps. I can finesse other keys out of them. Recently picked up this interesting resonator harp, made in India

jh.jpg

And yes its good to see younger musicians gravitate to this kind of thing, and then put their own touch on it. Love how all these buskers work out their own percussion solutions... washboards, buckets, foot drums, DIY rigs.. etc.

DrumGerry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Joe, that Indian harp looks pretty cool. Is it simply louder, or does it have a unique sound?

Trev

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JoePasko2002 said:
The WB Rhythm Kings are featured on this compilation CD that I have. (incl. 'Sloppy Drunk Blues' ... great title !)
This is all great stuff here, I recommend this album if you can find it.

wbs.jpg
Cool! I'll be looking for that for sure! I haven't actually got a lot washboard recordings, but I did pick up one by a US group called Juggernaut which is a great CD. Don't know if they're still around, I must keep an ear out...

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DrumGerry said:
Joe, that Indian harp looks pretty cool. Is it simply louder, or does it have a unique sound?
It's not the loudest jews harp in my collection, but it does have a distinctive 'buzzy' sound. A good harp for melodic playing.

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Happy Presidents Day !

mvb.jpg

(we play a fall festival every year, in Kinderhook NY --- birthplace of 8th US President)

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This past Friday evening. Outdoors, under the big tent @ The Palmer House Cafe, in the little historic hamlet of Rensselaerville, NY.

They had a delicious Cajun buffet going on.. the folks were digging our music.

acordion_tuba.jpg.JPG

I recently added a Hammerax "Nice Bell" to one of my boards :
percussion_2.jpg.JPG

percussion_1.jpg.JPG

..and we kicked off the festivities with a "second line" parade down Main Street !

parade_1.jpg

parade.jpg

parade_3.jpg

parade_2.jpg

Free food and beer for the musicians, plus $100 each. Huh ? I get paid to have fun ?? Not sure how I got to that place in life, but sure glad to be here. And the fact that I can truthfully call myself a professional washboard player, is priceless !!

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We had a drummer on the gig, too. My wife didn't get any good photo's with all four of us : accordion, drum set, percussion.... and a damn funky tuba player.

palmer_house.jpg.JPG

JoePasko2002

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DrumGerry said:
Looks like a lot of fun Joe!
It was a helluva lot of fun .. and as I mentioned, I got paid to have fun.

My accordion friend Captain Squeeze is only in NYS for another month, then he returns home to New Orleans. He is trying to book another date for this outfit, while he is still in town. I hope he gets us something, I am always ready to go.

Funny thing .. in my regular band, it's guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, bass fiddle, and me. Then I play these pickup gigs with the Captain and krewe, and there's no stringed instruments at all. It's all good... just give me the groove.

I have been an advocate of traditional wood-frame washboards for 30 years. But now I am giving serious thought to getting one of those over-the shoulder zydeco rubboards. Would probably order it from 'Key of Z' , in Lafayette LA. (That's who made my Cajun triangle).
They also have this interesting-looking board that mounts on a stand :

http://keyofzrubboards.com/collections/drum-boards/products/standard-drum-board

something new for your drum set that's not another tom or cymbal

poetdoc

Reaction score
Hey there...I'm a "World Percussionist" (whatever that means), playing rock and jazz. Washboard was the first instrument that turned me onto percussion, and I'm getting back into it (plenty of Country, Bluegrass, etc.gigs in Mississippi). Love the instrument, and the tradition. To my question: What ways have you found to mount instruments to the board? I had an LP Splash Claw lying around that I added an 8" splash to. I'm thinking there are U-shaped things with sharp ends I can hammer in, but I have no idea what they're called. Does anybody have any idea what I'm looking for?

DrumKlutz

Reaction score
Hello, Poetdoc. Check out the website Rattlebrained if you haven't already. Here's a link to a page called Jazz Up Your Washboard that gives lots of tips on adding gadgets. Since a lot of time has passed since your post, I hope you've found other info before now. I would be interested to know what you have done on to accessorize your washboard. Thanks.

DrumKlutz

Reaction score
Thanks. I have watched a few of their other videos. Never noticed it before, but there is a couple dancing in the background starting at about :35, and they dance and run until they are out of sight. Dancing is the best compliment - besides a nice tip - to a good band.

Also, check out The Washboard Resonators if you haven't already. I've got Rhythm -
and also the Sheik of Araby.