Watch The Stones play first gig without Charlie

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this Steve Jordan episode is going to be just like when Kenny Jones replaced Keith Moon in the Who.

No matter how well he plays, the fans are not going to accept it.
I think you mean "drummer" fans. I doubt anyone else will care that much.
And, yes, I am a Stones fan.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same could be said about a lot of former "members":

Brian Jones
Bill Wyman
Ian Stewart, Ian Mclagan
Chuck Leavell
Bobby Keys
Mick Taylor
and
Lisa Fischer
The loss of Mick Taylor was very noticeable, but I think the Stones sounded cohesive with the rotation of keyboardists. Not so with the loss of Charlie. Plus, Mick, Keith, and Ronnie are pushing 80. Starting over after 59 years with a new drummer is tough. That's not a slam on Jordan. It's just the way it is. // Best, skf

Genr

Reaction score
I totally agree with this. I can't think of ANOTHER drummer on the planet more suited to take over the chair and make the band still sound like The Stones.
I think Jim Keltner would have been a better fit. His feel seems more like Charlie’s to my ear.

Sprice

Reaction score
It could be because I don't have the history with the band like a lot of people here, but I don't see the problem with them continuing to play. You don't do something for 60 years without absolutely loving it so if those guys still want to do their thing I don't see it as disrespectful to Mr. Watts. I hope I feel good enough to take on something like that at that age.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be because I don't have the history with the band like a lot of people here, but I don't see the problem with them continuing to play. You don't do something for 60 years without absolutely loving it so if those guys still want to do their thing I don't see it as disrespectful to Mr. Watts. I hope I feel good enough to take on something like that at that age.
Neither do I think the Stones should stop playing. // skf

Derrick

Reaction score
Damn, Charlie's drum throne isn't even cold yet... already got replacement and playing shows. They even beat me back out on to the stage.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, Charlie's drum throne isn't even cold yet... already got replacement and playing shows. They even beat me back out on to the stage.
Keep it mind, Charlie was scheduled to do the tour, then had to cancel, so they got Steve to sub for him. Then, sadly, Charlie passed away.

My point is, Steve was scheduled to do these shows before Charlie passed away. Whether they continue after fulfilling these shows is the big question. Their official 60th anniversary is next year 2022, so they may do a few shows or a short tour and call it. Or do a major 60th anniversary tour as planned, or not do any dates at all. But Charlie himself would want them to go on. That's not Rolling Stones marketing hype - he really would want them to continue if they want to. The question will be: do they want to.

Steve's black Gretsch sizes are: 14x24, 9x13, 14x14 and 5.5x14 metal snare. That's all I'm allowed to share for now :)

dsteinschneider

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kraft party video isn't great sound or video. Just listened to Paint It Black in St Louis. I thought it sounded good. Steve's been playing on and off with Keith for over 30 years, Xpensive Winos had a different feel, as others mentioned more muscular. I think it's working. I believe Steve could more closely emulate CW but better he bring his own feel to the songs.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Led Zeppelin was on the right track when, after Bonham's death, they didn't try to continue with another drummer.

How many original members of any band have to be replaced before it's really not legit to keep referring to the group as the original band?

I'm sure Ringo and Paul could find two guys to play and sing John and George's parts onstage? Would it be okay if that foursome ID'd themselves as The Beatles?

skf

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beatles broke up. In this instance some have passed (Jones) or quit (Wyman, Taylor..)
beating dead horse unusual for you Scott : )
Led Zeppelin more a musicians (and only three) technicians band (than a song? band....)