Waxing the bearing edge?

harry

Reaction score
What's the opinion of using wax, polish, beeswax or paraffin on the drum edge. Are many of you doing it?
Harry

I'll do it on older drums that don't have a polished bearing edge. I use Gulf Wax. Rub the block along the bearing edge and then take a cotton cloth and briskly rub the wax smooth. Seals the edge and keeps that old exposed wood safe from moisture. I don't know if it's effective or not, just part of my restoration routine. I think it works, so I guess that's all that matters.

Chris

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I throw a little car wax over them and polish it up.
Like Chris said, does it make a difference or not? I don't know, but I do it whenever I disassemble and restore.
It certainly would seal up the edges from moisture though.
It can't hurt!

NashvilleGull

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
cpj83 said:
I'll do it on older drums that don't have a polished bearing edge. I use Gulf Wax. Rub the block along the bearing edge and then take a cotton cloth and briskly rub the wax smooth. Seals the edge and keeps that old exposed wood safe from moisture.
Chris
+1 I wax edges (new or old) when changing heads, like Chris' method- keeps heads from sticking/binding-they stay seated and centered.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I use Armor-All on mine. :shock: Just kidding. I don't wax mine, too much work for very little benefit. I don't have issues with the heads seating properly or sticking, so I don't.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
800 grit emery paper soaked with pure lemon oil then buffed with a sheepskin pad every once in a while seals up the plies and nourishes the wood. Turtle wax is OK afterwards.They tune up more precisely and the lemon oil smells nice.Benny K.

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
It depends on the age and condition of the edge (s). Todays bearing edges have been sanded and smoothed out "finer" than the past; and Ludwig already parafins the edges.

It certainly will not hurt anything.

Look at timpani, for example. Teflon tape, or teflon coating on the edges. Helps the heads float and fine tune in a smooth manner.

On drum kits, keeps out the gremlin head rattles, smooth tuning, smooth edges, and protects the non protected surface.

Just my 0.02's
Paul

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
I wax my bearing edges (I actually just use a candle) when changing heads.

Dave

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
2000dan2000 said:
Like Chris said, does it make a difference or not? I don't know, but I do it whenever I disassemble and restore. It certainly would seal up the edges from moisture though.
It can't hurt!
Same here.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
most vintage bearing edges i dont mess with. but i recently bought a 60's tom that had been apart for a while. i smoothed the edges with some fine sandpaper. ive got a small square candle that i worked in lightly and then buffed clean. they felt much better and i'm sure much more protected.

mike

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought I remembered a few people arguing against waxing edges the last time this topic came up. jrfrond I think was one of them. I'd be curious to hear their comments (again)...

My 80's Gretsch's have relatively rough edges compared to any other drums I've seen (the edges are perfectly cut mind you, just no final sanding appears to have been done on them). They sound so good as-is though and they tune up easily so I've been afraid and/or haven't bothered to mess with them so far, as far as waxing or smoothing out goes. Come to think of it though, I emailed Gretsch a while back about this and they suggested waxing the edges, FWIW.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've swiped a thin application of paraffin wax to all my edges since the 70s.
I rub a little around the drumhead collars too.
But inevitably someone will chime in to inform us it's completely unnecessary or we've all been doing it wrong.

Dude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have never done this, but it sure seems like a good idea. Like wiping motor oil on the gasket of an oil filter. I do that every time I change the oil in my car - yes I do it myself.

Waxing bearing edges seems like a no-brainer now that I think about it. Heads would glide upon tension, edges would be conditioned(?). I don't know.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once read (thirty years ago) to use a super light coating of Vaseline on the bearing edges to help maintain good contact all the way around and perhaps allow the head to "float" a little. I've done so off and on through the years and can't see that it helped or hurt at all. I'm afraid this is probably just an old wives tale, but I was a kid....who didn't know any better.

Q-Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I rub a candle around the edges before I seat a new head. Don't know if it is true but I feel like it makes the drum easier to tune up. Been doing this for years.

harry

Reaction score
Wow..I thought one or two maybe, but many do it!! Think I'll polish with some beeswax on the edges of the new 3ply's..just for the heck of it! Thanks for all the opinions!!
Harry

Retro Rob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BennyK said:
800 grit emery paper soaked with pure lemon oil then buffed with a sheepskin pad every once in a while seals up the plies and nourishes the wood. Turtle wax is OK afterwards.They tune up more precisely and the lemon oil smells nice.Benny K.

I'm diggin Benny's Lemon oil