header.nohb.html

WAY O/T ....... (or is it?): earwig in my headphones!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A new one on me ...... and I've been on the planet for nearly 79 years .........

Whilst listening to the demo of the ASBA snare drum a minute ago with my Bose bluetooth phones, I felt a peculiar pinching on my left ear ........ gentle, but insistent. Upon investigation, I discovered the unfortunate Mr Wig, now deceased.

Pic ....... it happened!

9788B611-D360-4989-962E-16A81E4C071B.jpeg

So, I looked it up. These little buggers got their name from a supposedly mythic European belief .......... something about crawling into your ear and laying eggs in yer brain.

No great desire to test the hypothesis ........

M.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This kind of thing is not as uncommon as you might think. The ear canal is perfect environment for insects because it's dark, moist, and well protected. I've seen a number of strange things in people's ear canals over my 40 years as an audiologist, although mostly in the ears of young children.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, had a similar experience the other night, with a tick!
Was putting my hair back behind my ear when I felt something, looked in the mirror and almost fainted, a tick almost the size of a dime implanted, ughhh!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The larvae form of ticks look just like adults but tiny. I scratched a scab once and the scab lifted but remained attached. I got a closet look and it was a larval tick and it was literally about the size of a period on paper. But a period with legs. This was right after I got bifocals so... It was sheer luck that I even picked at it.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All set with that! I love our natural world but these critters I can do without.

When I was a kid we built an eight foot high stockade fence on our property line to, shall we say, lessen the communal feeling with our neighbors. It "seasoned" for one summer before we sealed it, and when I began laying stain on this one particular spot, dabbing a soaked brush to get into the cracks and crevices, earwigs, seemingly by the hundreds, poured out of the space between the boards like water, writhing and wriggling. No thanks. Ever since then I've not been a fan.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has removed whatever guilt I may have been harboring about having an exterminator service visit my property once a month for the past 20 years to keep my home pest-free. Now I'm pest-free and guilt-free!

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen one of those in many years. And yuck!!
Although I’ve got my own problems…Recently in the morning I went to the bathroom and passed by this on the living room carpet right where I always put my feet. My cat killed it and left it there, then slept next to me in bed all night. Guess I should be glad she didn’t bring it into bed.
(My landlord called the exterminator the next day)
D7EEE3D9-E4F5-4D94-89CE-71624A2575C0.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"no one ever accused you of being buggy"..

err..
Just say No to HeadPhones who needs them that's so RadioShack (kidding

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
beetles in my phones yeah , all the time