Way OT: What Oil Should I Use?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 2016 V6 Mustang with about 65K miles.

I was curious as to what type (not brand) of oil I should use. Straight oil, hybrid between oil and synthetic, all synthetic or one of the fancy ones that I don't even know what's in it?

I have been using the hybrid. The guy at the garage said that is okay for now, but as the car gets more miles I should consider all synthetic.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Mazda 5 that I purchased new. At around 75-80k miles, I began using a synthetic blend motor oil for "high-mileage" engines. I drive only around 10k per year, so I do oil changes in July and January. My original engine now has just a tad over 190k and is purring right along with no issues! So, I'm sold on the synthetic blend! I used to use Amsoil, but it's just way too expensive. Also, I would always do my own oil changes, but now at 65 years old, I leave the dirty work to my trusted mechanic!

-Mark

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ford Fusion. 267,000 miles... all Motorcraft synthetic blend.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Traded my 2004 Suburban in 2017 with 350K miles used full synthetic all the time and changed the oil about every 7k. Never any work done to the engine. I assume also that I'm somewhat helping the environment by going full syn but maybe not, I don't know what all goes into making the syn, could be worse for the environment

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the fall I use synthetic, in the spring regular . Easier start in subzero conditions .

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet ride!

I'm a big believer in fully synthetic. I used to live in Orange Co., CA in the 90's and got my 1998 Mustang GT worked on at an oil change/car wash place. It was $30 for an oil change and "free" car wash." I paid a few bucks more for synthetic.

One time, I got it done and woke up the next day to my land lady arguing that my car had leaked oil all over the driveway! Turns out the idiots didn't tighten my oil pan nut and it was sitting in the pile of oil. I actually got under the car, screwed it on by hand, and drove a few miles back to the shop. They filled it up and it apparently was nearly empty! Synthetic saved the day.........

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Turns out the idiots didn't tighten my oil pan nut and it was sitting in the pile of oil. I actually got under the car, screwed it on by hand, and drove a few miles back to the shop. They filled it up and it apparently was nearly empty! Synthetic saved the day.........
Unfortunately, that's happened to a few people I know, including myself. I wasn't running synthetic back then, but I had some extra oil at home to top it off and also tightened in the drain plug. Picked up the phone and had some words with the manager of the shop. Good help is hard to find, even 20-ish years ago.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Sweet ride!

I'm a big believer in fully synthetic. I used to live in Orange Co., CA in the 90's and got my 1998 Mustang GT worked on at an oil change/car wash place. It was $30 for an oil change and "free" car wash." I paid a few bucks more for synthetic.

One time, I got it done and woke up the next day to my land lady arguing that my car had leaked oil all over the driveway! Turns out the idiots didn't tighten my oil pan nut and it was sitting in the pile of oil. I actually got under the car, screwed it on by hand, and drove a few miles back to the shop. They filled it up and it apparently was nearly empty! Synthetic saved the day.........
Or worse, the idiots who over tighten the plug. You don't know it until you pull it next time and the steel plug stripped out the threads on the aluminum pan. Fortunately for my car a slightly bigger plug worked out. I'm thinking of installing a magnetic plug like this so I don't have to give it more wear and tear.

I do all my own oil changes now. I bought some ramps from Harbor Freight and already had a drain pan, but I bought a bigger one so I can do both of our cars at once. I was an lube/oil tech a long time ago so I have a bunch of filter wrenches too. I'm thinking of switching to full synthetic as I've only used conventional up til now. Our cars are an '05 with 205k and my '07 with 170k, plus my engine is notorious for oil sludge buildup, so it might be good time to make the change.

I was always told growing up that synthetic was too "slippery" for higher mileage cars, and that it would slip between the compression rings and anywhere else that conventional wouldn't. Although that may have been true in the far past, synthetic is typically better for your car regardless of mileage.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 V6 Mustang with about 65K miles.

I was curious as to what type (not brand) of oil I should use. Straight oil, hybrid between oil and synthetic, all synthetic or one of the fancy ones that I don't even know what's in it?

I have been using the hybrid. The guy at the garage said that is okay for now, but as the car gets more miles I should consider all synthetic.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Synthetic
As that is what your owners manual says
Engine oils are so thin and viscosity is so good they lubricate excellently

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a former mechanic I can tell you that unless the manufacturer specifies full synthetic you don't need to run it, regardless of miles. And never spend the extra money on synthetic blends/hybrids. Oil is all about frequency of changing depending on use. If you do a lot of idling and stop and go driving I suggest 5000 miles between changes, if you do mostly highway I would recommend 10000 (this all depends on what your manufacturer recommends). If Ford is saying 5W-30 (for example) changed every 10k miles and you drive a mix of city/highway then I would just stick with that and use regular, non synthetic oil. If they say every 10k and you are all city and lots of idling then I would bump that down to every 5k miles. Engines love to be driven within a small RPM window for long periods of time it's why there is an actual difference in used car mileage between city and highway miles. I would buy a modern car with 200k miles on it no problem if it's all highway miles and the seller could prove that they were on top of oil changes. 100k of all city/idling, no way in hell I am buying that car.

Honestly, unless you have some crazy direct injected, vario-cam engine that rev's to the moon you never have to run synthetic oil. Full synthetic is ideal for forced induction engines, especially turbo charged engines because the oil cools the impeller bearing and it NEEDS the performance of a synthetic oil to no degrade and allow bearing failure. Hybrid or synthetic blends are 100% pointless, if you run that save some money and go back to normal oil.

Also don't let anyone feed you a line of "once you run synthetic you can't go back" that's old school BS back when tolerances and clearances were big enough to drive a truck through. With modern assembly technology being as it is you can switch back and it won't hurt anything.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beach Boy, interesting but they just screwed it back on and it was fine. That car is long gone but we had some good times!

I am not mechanically inclined although I would routinely "hold the flashlight" as a
kid for my dad when he changed his own oil. These days, I can change air filters, bulbs, and that's about it, sadly! Don't have tools or time....

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Beach Boy, interesting but they just screwed it back on and it was fine. That car is long gone but we had some good times!
It sounds like in your case it was too loose. In mine it was too tight. At least they didn't cross-thread it.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been changing my own oil since my teen years (I'm 52) because i have the tools and room to do it comfortably. Not only is it cheaper to DIY, but I know it is done RIGHT!! Not over-filled or under-filled, drain plug will be put back correctly etc. We have 2 new vehicles (2018s) that require a synthetic blend, but my wife drives a 2004 Explorer and I have been changing oil on it faithfully since new and use the Wal-Mart Conventional brand (comes in a handy 5-quart jug) and have not had even a HINT of a problem with the engine.
It gets done every 4 months and is MUCH cheaper than running synthetic if it's not required.

gretschdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been changing my own oil since my teen years (I'm 52) because i have the tools and room to do it comfortably. Not only is it cheaper to DIY, but I know it is done RIGHT!! Not over-filled or under-filled, drain plug will be put back correctly etc. We have 2 new vehicles (2018s) that require a synthetic blend, but my wife drives a 2004 Explorer and I have been changing oil on it faithfully since new and use the Wal-Mart Conventional brand (comes in a handy 5-quart jug) and have not had even a HINT of a problem with the engine.
It gets done every 4 months and is MUCH cheaper than running synthetic if it's not required.
walmart brand is fine
Rumored to be rebranded pennzoil