We’re Happy!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, Greg and CC!! This was a 35+ year drum in waiting. It lived up to the hype!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful. What’s the difference between the late 70’s era compared to any other besides the badge?
Dale, not much, really. I’ve owned a 2010, 2018, an 1987 and a 1992 BB before this one. They all kinda sounded the same to me. I won’t ever try to claim that this one is superior because it’s from ‘79. I just wanted one from a certain era and nothing else was gonna be right, even factoring in the the additional cost.

Last edited:

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dale, not much, really. I’ve owned a 2010, 2018, an 1987 and a 1992 BB before this one. They all kinda sounded the same to me. I won’t ever try to claim that this one is superior because it’s from ‘79. I just wanted one from a certain era and nothing else was gonna be right, even factoring in the the additional cost.
Oh, Dale, one thing that I think is different is that these late 70’s drums have a bit darker black nickel plating. Maybe just me projecting, though, but I think it looks a bit darker.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have one that I bought in ‘96. It’s a great drum. It’s not my favorite, but I rank it up there in my collection.

Back when I wasn’t too knowledgeable about gear history a friend of mine happened to play his BB in the mid 90’s in front of me and it blew me away. I told him this and he said, “You have Black Beauty Sickness”. The first chance I got I bought one.

It was my favorite for a short time until I realized the reason it was was because I was yet to discover I’m simply a 6.5” kinda guy and this was the first 6.5” drum I got.

Nevertheless, I will never get rid of this drum. I have an emotional attachment to it as well still love the sound of it.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had the BB sickness for 35+ years. Knew there was only one cure, even though I knew it was gonna cost the big bucks. Better to just pony up than own “almost” drums, in my very humble opinion.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yezzer, and thank ye!
I've known Scott (Drumbelly) for well over 25 years and consider him one of my best, most trustworthy friends and we exchange Christmas presents every year. There is no one better than Scott and his collection of drums is second to none. When he tells you the drum is killer...trust him...it's killer. We have had many drum dealings. Congrats on your amazing 70s Black Beauty drum...it looks amazing and you got exactly what you wanted. I have always wanted one too, but never managed to be at the right place at the right time. All too often, we are too cheap with ourselves and we squelch our wants and desires, satisfying that inner kid that most of us still have, but try with great effort to subdue. Hell, life is too short...indulge yourself and be good to yourself. Take great care of that drum, play it to your heart's desire and someday, pass it along to another drummer, dreaming about owning one for himself/herself. In the end, we are just steward's of this gear because no one will take one with them to Valhalla.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've known Scott (Drumbelly) for well over 25 years and consider him one of my best, most trustworthy friends and we exchange Christmas presents every year. There is no one better than Scott and his collection of drums is second to none. When he tells you the drum is killer...trust him...it's killer. We have had many drum dealings. Congrats on your amazing 70s Black Beauty drum...it looks amazing and you got exactly what you wanted. I have always wanted one too, but never managed to be at the right place at the right time. All too often, we are too cheap with ourselves and we squelch our wants and desires, satisfying that inner kid that most of us still have, but try with great effort to subdue. Hell, life is too short...indulge yourself and be good to yourself. Take great care of that drum, play it to your heart's desire and someday, pass it along to another drummer, dreaming about owning one for himself/herself. In the end, we are just steward's of this gear because no one will take one with them to Valhalla.
Rob! Scott was a total pro and I’m 100% pleased with this deal. He sold a drum and I bought something I’ve wanted for 35+ years. Win/win in my book.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scratch it up ! Scratch it up ! That drum looks nekkid . Paging Dr. Aldridge !!

Reddy

Reaction score
One pic says it all. Yeah, some might question the purchase, but we want what we want.

Yeah, I’ve wanted a late ‘70’s BB since probably ‘85. Did I overpay? Maybe. But did I get a drum I’ve wanted for 30+ years... ABSOLUTELY!!

Thank you Scott for making this drum available!!

View attachment 444734
Looks bra
One pic says it all. Yeah, some might question the purchase, but we want what we want.

Yeah, I’ve wanted a late ‘70’s BB since probably ‘85. Did I overpay? Maybe. But did I get a drum I’ve wanted for 30+ years... ABSOLUTELY!!

Thank you Scott for making this drum available!!

View attachment 444734
Looks brand new. Stunning.

jb111

Reaction score
Life if short. If you can pull it off and you want it, more power to you! Play the stuff you love. Stoked for you.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. It’ll take me a while longer for the furniture purchase, but who needs furniture, right?! Ha!