We’re we ever really THAT naive?

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first started drumming, about age 14, I started listening to drummers specifically. For years I was under the impression that the more ‘unplayable’ and/or complex a part was, the better the drummer. I had little respect for the Bonhams of the world and thought jazz players was the one and only standard in drumming prowess. Thankfully we all grow and learn and mature.
Of course this wasn’t my most embarrassing naïveté.
My first concert, I was 16, (too old to be this dumb..) was REO Speedwagon.
They were Huge as Hi-Infidelity was everywhere.
I walk into the arena, watch the opening band, Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) and am impressed sure…
But when REO Speeedwagon comes out, I am flabbergasted that it’s actually them!
I was half expecting an REO tribute band. I guess in my mind, having lived in rural Ky all my life, thought that actual famous rock stars didn’t leave L.A or New York or London. I honestly can’t imagine what made me think the real REO Speedwagon wasn’t going to be there, but I spent the whole night in awe that the actual band I had seen in videos and on album sleeves were in the same room as little me from Kentucky.
Lol
Oh to be that innocent again. :D

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXACT same experience when I went to my first concert too. I was 14 and Kiss came to Buffalo. I had only been drumming for 6 months or so, and when the lights went down and the explosions and music started, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Now this was back in '77 and I had only seen pics of them in Creem magazine and one concert on HBO. It was the greatest thing I ever saw. A comic book come to life, and they rocked! I was hooked from that moment.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXACT same experience when I went to my first concert too. I was 14 and Kiss came to Buffalo. I had only been drumming for 6 months or so, and when the lights went down and the explosions and music started, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Now this was back in '77 and I had only seen pics of them in Creem magazine and one concert on HBO. It was the greatest thing I ever saw. A comic book come to life, and they rocked! I was hooked from that moment.
I saw them in 77 when I was 14..same story...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Alice Cooper 6 months later - same feeling. How can ALICE be here in Buffalo??? Those early concerts really set my love of playing and love of music into overdrive. While I've gotten away from arena concerts, even seeing bands I like in moderate size venues gives me a thrill to this day.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up in NYC, so there wasn't much innocence in my youth. We were exposed to everything, so nothing much surprised us, we were jaded to it all pretty young. We saw all the great acts up close and we probably took it all for granted.

I sometimes wish I had that Innocence!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a small town, so most of our shows were punk bands and regional acts. My first "big" concert when I was a teenager was Rush with Primus opening. Completely mind blown seeing and hearing all that top-level musicianship in one night. I also remember realizing that some of the parts that I thought were super complex, weren't really that tough once you see how they are played in person.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a music anecdote, but I was playing a NYE gig at a west Florida hotel in the 90's. walking down a long, empty hallway, when in distance I see a couple hand-in-hand walking toward me. As they near, I can't process what my eyes are seeing. It's Robin Williams and his wife, obviously on holiday. I try to stay cool and end up just politely mumbling "hello" and keep moving. He was smiling that tight lipped smile of his, but I could tell he just wanted some anonymity. 5 minutes later I thought I should have said "Nanu-Nanu", but I'm glad I didn't.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first started drumming, about age 14, I started listening to drummers specifically. For years I was under the impression that the more ‘unplayable’ and/or complex a part was, the better the drummer. I had little respect for the Bonhams of the world and thought jazz players was the one and only standard in drumming prowess. Thankfully we all grow and learn and mature.
I walk into the arena, watch the opening band, Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) and am impressed sure…
I was half expecting an REO tribute band. I guess in my mind, having lived in rural Ky all my life, thought that actual famous rock stars didn’t leave L.A or New York or London. I honestly can’t imagine what made me think the real REO Speedwagon wasn’t going to be there, but I spent the whole night in awe that the actual band I had seen in videos and on album sleeves were in the same room as little me from Kentucky.
Lol
I always thought REO was a really good band but had not really paid much attention to them in a long while. BUT I recently went down the You Tube rabbit hole in watching dozens of their live videos through the years. REALLY, really good band! Very tight and consistent, great energy. Alan Gratzer was solid as a rock.

Last edited:

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
REALLY, really good band! Very tight and consistent, great energy.
They encored with Johnny B Goode and truly brought the house down. People were dancing on the seats. It was a long way from Keep On Loving You and really taught me that bands can do ballads And crush a rock song as well.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All in my humble little home town way off the beaten path.

One of the first indoor concerts I attended was Ted Nugent. I wanna say around '74. It was in a beautiful old movie house converted into a show palace and I was down in front first row left of center.

What got me the most was how messy the stage was. Cords and other stuff strewn about. Personally I like a clean stage.

Another time, I saw Uriah Heap play there. I was blown away by the drum solo where the drummer had triggered lights inside the shells. So cool.

But one of my first outdoor concerts was in '76 watching Journey with Ansley Dunbar (to give you a time line) and Van Halen. I think this was one of the very first concerts with Van Halen.

Good times.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when we were more naive, and I mean all of us before access to an infinite amount of information and non-stop exposure to media, life had a bit more magic to it. We let stars be stars, and embraced those kinds of moments. Now we can't pretend they're not just regular people, even if back then we knew it deep inside.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Lol
Back in my teenage years, Seattle was still "The big city with the small town feel".
I used to feel the same way, when I went to concerts, because my feeling was also, who would come out here.
I can still remember telling a friend, after a show, "That was SO cool! It was actually them!" and his reply was, "Of course, stupid. You paid eight bucks for the ticket, who did you expect to see?".
Ah, youth. =)

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Whatever one thinks of Kiss, that seems like the ideal first rock show. It's why I took my kids to see the Flaming Lips when each of them was old "enough". Spectacle, celebration, joy, fantasy (with the added benefit of the DIY aspect of a Flaming Lips show). Explosions and swear words!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in 82(?) I had a Wednesday to Sunday house gig on the Quebec side . Keep on Lovin You on constant jukebox play, so we learnt it . Stadium love ballads were these guys' specialty . Other than that, I know little about REO ,except that they didn't start out this way . Can't be naive and survive in this business .

... Bette Davis Eyes was the other one . I doubt if I'll ever be able to shake those tunes out of my head .

Last edited: