We’re Witnessing the Total Extinction of Two-Drummer Bands

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We did that in a band in back in my teenage years. The problem we had was that the other drummer didn't want to share the stage with me (the two drummer thing wasn't his idea) and the band found out that I also played guitar and wanted me to switch.

We only did 1 or 2 shows with the both of us drumming, and it was a fun thing to do. But you have to be able to check your ego at the door and share for it to work.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like the Melvins ditched the double drummer thing a few years ago. Never liked the idea for them, as it diluted the power and ferocity of Dale Crover. But, I think visually it's interesting to put a righty and lefty drummer right next to each other, as evidenced in this video. Good novelty factor, but glad they've reverted back to their trio config:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a rockband and not a dual drummer setup (as much as I love Nate’s percussion playing).

Big fan of the Moody Blues, Genesis, and Pink Floyd.

All who play/played with two drummers.
No where do I see anything designating rock drummers as a a restriction in this query. Snarky Puppy clearly straddles boundaries between rock, jazz, pop etc. On Family Dinner Volume Two they have two drummers and more than one percussionist playing simultaneously.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No where do I see anything designating rock drummers as a a restriction in this query. Snarky Puppy clearly straddles boundaries between rock, jazz, pop etc. On Family Dinner Volume Two they have two drummers and more than one percussionist playing simultaneously.

I think Snarky Puppy is as much a rock band as some of the more eclectic jam bands, though the audience has far fewer women and there are a lot more Priuses in the parking lot.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doobies broke up?
i guarantee there's a loft somewhere on the planet 4 jazz drummers and 3 percussionists are in session..

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good riddance. I've never seen the need for two drummers.

And for the record, if you're going to compare having two drummers to having five trumpets, why not five bassists? At least five bassists could possibly play harmonies. When you have two drummers their biggest challenge is to stay out of each other's way.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They definitely have mastered the art of finesse...especially when crashing.
I don’t know if you noticed, but they actually share a crash cymbal in the middle. And sometimes you’ll see them both hit the same crash at the same time.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
To my ears, both Zappa and Captain Beefheart could make dynamic and interesting use of two drummers. Moreover, they rarely got their drummers to play the same parts, but rather to compliment each other. There are better/clearer examples on their albums, but here are a few clips:

(Mind the scantily dressed woman flirting with the band in this one)

The marimba player switches to second drum set near the end of the tune.

Here's a great album track using two drummers throughout

Whether this stuff is your cup of tea is another story completely, but to me this is pretty inspirational and sophisticated stuff.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I’d rather have a dedicated percussionist than another set of drums trying to play the same thing. Yes 5 trumpets 8 violins ect.. sound great- 2 sets of drums Is asking for trouble in most cases.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
two (pun) that come to mind I like and studied. the second one (or somewhere on the CD/album..) towards the end band drops and you can hear what each (Ed and Billy) are playing (very instructive)

and this one is just classic incredible never replicated

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No it didn’t specify rock, and yes SP did use a two drum setup once or twice. But that isn’t really a two drummer setup band, more an occasional show item.

To me the best two drummers set up.

Gary Wallis played mostly stand up acoustic drums, electronic drums, and percussion, adding spice to the basic Nick Mason rhythms.

Only sparsly they played the same rhythm, and even then it was to spice things up, with Gary being adding tasteful tom fills and cymbal accents.

He did the same thing with Schiller years later (with Ralf Gustke on the drums)

1606113636763.jpeg

Last edited:

artvandalaye

Reaction score
In regards to Tedeschi Trucks Band, the way JJ and Falcon played together was very special, and they spent 10 years and thousands of performances crafting that sound. It's way more than just doubling the same beat - take a listen with headphones (where the panning of the two kits is more pronounced) and you'll get a better picture of the intricacy that's actually going on. Or a high-quality live performance video on youtube (there's a bunch). I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to see them up-close many times, and I'm going to miss that rhythm team. They're also great guys too, very humble and generous.

Morello Man

Reaction score
I liked early Allman Bros w/two drummers - had one of their LPs - and, jazz-wise, the Ornette Coleman Double Quartet’s LP Free Jazz w/Billy Higgins and Ed Blackwell is one of my favorite recordings. Additionally, the Francy Boland-Kenny Clarke Big Band w/Kenny Clare was, to my mind, one of the greatest-ever big bands. Two drummers in a band can work but it has to be the right mix.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Same reason as a Big Band has 5 Trumpets, 5 saxes. 3 Bones. Sheer Power.
Well, actually no, it's not the same thing. People playing Big Band music don't think about power, marching bands maybe. Each player has their own part to play however they do play in unison at times and yes they do get louder depending on what the song calls for. Well, playing Concert music sometimes gets powerful at times, again each one has a different part/note to play.

Having two drummers in a band is fine if you feel it's needed. I just never thought it was. If you need more power I would think the sound man could handle that for you. Electronically I would think one could make one drum sound like two and I could understand for some songs it may be a plus to get that special sound.

When talking about Power, are we talking noise rattling the walls or just the Power of feeling the music? I never understood why Rock music has to be loud. I always wondered what a Rock band would sound like at normal volumes and be able to understand the words.

On the big pro level I can see it being fordable but you put a second drummer in my band it's a cut in pay. LOL

No argument here, we all have our own preferences and that's what keeps the world turning,
sherm

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m fine with two drummers in a band as long as one of them is a conguero with a basic mastery of tambourine. (No easy feat.)

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
News of twin drummer J.J. Johnson departing the Tedeschi Trucks Band makes the band bus a little less crowded and also portends the rapid and total extinction of twin-drummer bands.

Following the departure of one drummer each from Tedeschi Trucks and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard there’s a real chance our children will never see a band whose members could never summon the courage to tell one of its superfluous drummers to stay home on gig night.

The remaining bands with redundant drummers are likely to retire soon — with the Doobie Brothers celebrating 50 years since they were on “What’s Happening” to warn Re-Run against depriving rock stars of income through bootlegging. It’s feared King Crimson is even closer to its last tour — and it’s hard to imagine interest in 38 Special’s bland arena rock can be sustained for much longer.

It’s a sad day for four-handed percussion sections. I’m afraid we’ve reached a point as a society where bandleaders’ moms no longer order their daughters and sons to not break the hearts of the lesser of the two drummers who needlessly set up side-by-side drum kits?

Or have we?

I think we may be witnessing the extinction of drummers, at least in pop music.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA