header.nohb.html

Weckl playing Steve Wonder

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Weckl shows how to play with just enough restraint, perfect chops, great choices while driving a great song at Drum Fantasy Camp. I wish I could play at this level. He was one of the first contemporary drummers I studied back in the 90s and it didn't seem like he could improve even back then, but somehow he does.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was great. Nice to see Weck in more of a pop setting. Was it just me or was that bass player's time feel off? Kinda gave me agita...

Tarkus

Reaction score
In the 80s, I was fascinated by Weckl as well, sitting in his workshop and not believing what I saw. And I didn't listen very much to Steve Wonder music.

But I have to say if I do the comparison today, it's different.

Just listen how Steve's driving the song with his aggressive 'forward shuffling' on the hi hat. I immediately started whipping to it, not just listening and waiting for the next technical interruption like in the Weckl/Coleman version.
Honestly, Steve Wonders energy on drums leaves these 'super drummers' looking quite old (not speaking about his song writing, lyrics, singing and performing most of the other instruments, too).

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
In the 80s, I was fascinated by Weckl as well, sitting in his workshop and not believing what I saw. And I didn't listen very much to Steve Wonder music.

But I have to say if I do the comparison today, it's different.

Just listen how Steve's driving the song with his aggressive 'forward shuffling' on the hi hat. I immediately started whipping to it, not just listening and waiting for the next technical interruption like in the Weckl/Coleman version.
Honestly, Steve Wonders energy on drums leaves these 'super drummers' looking quite old (not speaking about his song writing, lyrics, singing and performing most of the other instruments, too).
The pyrotechnics by either Weckl or Coleman didn’t come to mind for me. They actually felt out of place and they would be if it wasn’t a Drum Fantasy camp. What impressed me greatly was Weckl’s facility at playing for the song, even if by comparison to the album version, the more straight ahead lines he played would’ve been too much. Coleman took the opportunity to light up the kit which is fine, but didn’t do much for me. He could’ve been more reserved and played for the song but I’ve never seen him do that. Both are incredible drummers.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Weckl shows how to play with just enough restraint, perfect chops, great choices while driving a great song at Drum Fantasy Camp. I wish I could play at this level. He was one of the first contemporary drummers I studied back in the 90s and it didn't seem like he could improve even back then, but somehow he does.

That’s a heavy duty groove!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nice, but I like this Wonder song better.

LOVE that song, used to play it in my last band.

Obviously they weren't trying to replicate Stevie's drumming on that session - they were just having fun with it.

And I did prefer that vocalist over the first one. (Which is really funny, because I checked the credits and they are the same lady!)