Weights in the bass drum? - Sounds Like a Drum Video

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You MUST also remove the air, as this is also physical matter.

Real drummers (true professionals) also remove all air from the bass drum making it a true vacuum . Anything else is for rank amateurs. Ports, muffling, felt, air, is for the far less sophisticated drummer. Trust me, I practice 16.5 hours a day on my suitcase that is sealed and had the air removed by NASA scientists.

jansara

Reaction score
Take a simple and primitive instrument like a drum and watch how many will screw with it beyond reason to make it complicated and advanced, and call it "better".

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Take a simple and primitive instrument like a drum and watch how many will screw with it beyond reason to make it complicated and advanced, and call it "better".
And the other side of that coin is, that such a simple instrument requires tweaking to get DIFFERENT sounds out of it.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have always said that stretching a hide over the end of the hollow log was ridiculous, unnecessary, and a sign of people just messing around instead of developing proper log technique.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have always said that stretching a hide over the end of the hollow log was ridiculous, unnecessary, and a sign of people just messing around instead of developing proper log technique.
Great point. It's quite universal phenomenon that people think that items have not really evolved that much before their lifetime, and the development they see happening during their era (especially the older they get) is unnecessary, forced and sudden.
I'm not saying that all development is going to a good direction. But if someone really wants to go back to the roots of drumming and play them "how they were meant to", then it's time to get some logs and bones. :laughing6:

jansara

Reaction score
And the other side of that coin is, that such a simple instrument requires tweaking to get DIFFERENT sounds out of it.
There is a big difference between screwing with it beyond reason and tweaking.
I file paint cans and sand bags under "beyond reason"...

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a big difference between screwing with it beyond reason and tweaking.
I file paint cans and sand bags under "beyond reason"...
That's a valid opinion.
But I wouldn't call having something heavy inside the drum "complicated" or "advanced". Your made it sounds like it would take time or be difficult. Nope. It's really simple tweak.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
To each their own. I don’t need to put paint cans and sand bags in my drums to get them to sound good. If you feel that’s what you need to do, then by all means consult whatever pros you need to. Honestly, most of the drums I hear today on these vast swatches of popular music sound like garbage because, big surprise, no one knows how to tune drums anymore. We are hitting harder and harder, cymbals are breaking ad sound so trashy they don’t have any tone whatsoever. So if blankets and sand bags make you sound good, then go for it. Simon does it, so it must be the way to go.
Thank you for confirming my point - as your contention isn't about the methods to achieve many popular drum sounds, but that they simple shouldn't be desirable in the first place and only exist through the incompetence of others. All of that is encapsulated in this statement - "Honestly, most of the drums I hear today on these vast swatches of popular music sound like garbage because, big surprise, no one knows how to tune drums anymore."

Which speaks to the gist of what I said - your "truth" is based on a willingness to dismiss 90% of the pop bass drum sounds of the HALF A CENTURY because you simply don't like the way they sound.

And I 'm fine with that - what you like or don't like, I couldn't care less about. Your tastes, your choices.

But I'm sorry - but spouting off about everyone that makes different choices, that has different tastes than yours - and claiming that the only reason they are making those choices is through their lack of skill and ability is just absurdly rude and disrespectful.

But thank you for clarifying - your position on this is now abundantly clear - making it extremely easy to simply dismiss.

jansara

Reaction score
That's a valid opinion.
But I wouldn't call having something heavy inside the drum "complicated" or "advanced". Your made it sounds like it would take time or be difficult. Nope. It's really simple tweak.
My bad. In context, "complicated" is a different animal. "Advanced" stays.

I also cross-file paint cans and sand bags under Anal, regardless of what studio gurus, sound men, Pop disciples, self-absorbed Pro's and assorted YouTube snake oil pitch-men say.

jmato

Reaction score
I don't understand the disagreements here. The video showed that the weight in the drum did exactly what it was purported to do. The drum sounded different. I thought it sounded better to my ears. And it was simple. If that is the sound one wants, how is that bad?

Even better would be devising a way to place and fill, and remove, the sandbag through the porthole, eliminating the need to remove a head. Figure out a simple method for that and we can make millions. Millions, I say! Millions!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Thank you for confirming my point - as your contention isn't about the methods to achieve many popular drum sounds, but that they simple shouldn't be desirable in the first place and only exist through the incompetence of others. All of that is encapsulated in this statement - "Honestly, most of the drums I hear today on these vast swatches of popular music sound like garbage because, big surprise, no one knows how to tune drums anymore."

Which speaks to the gist of what I said - your "truth" is based on a willingness to dismiss 90% of the pop bass drum sounds of the HALF A CENTURY because you simply don't like the way they sound.

And I 'm fine with that - what you like or don't like, I couldn't care less about. Your tastes, your choices.

But I'm sorry - but spouting off about everyone that makes different choices, that has different tastes than yours - and claiming that the only reason they are making those choices is through their lack of skill and ability is just absurdly rude and disrespectful.

But thank you for clarifying - your position on this is now abundantly clear - making it extremely easy to simply dismiss.
Not rude or disrespectful. Simply truth. Your comments (opinions, choices, etc..) are as easily dismissed as rude and disrespectful. Follow the crowd if you wish. We will agree to disagree.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think this "innovation" is less about the natural bass drum but more in relation to how the drum is being recorded.
Hmmm, I guess I'm trying to say that the issue inherently lies in the recording process and not the bass drum. Until there is some holographic aural recording process, we'll continue playing with holes, tape, blankets, sand buckets, etc... to make up for the shortcomings in rooms, mics, signal process etc.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't understand the disagreements here. The video showed that the weight in the drum did exactly what it was purported to do. The drum sounded different. I thought it sounded better to my ears. And it was simple. If that is the sound one wants, how is that bad?

Even better would be devising a way to place and fill, and remove, the sandbag through the porthole, eliminating the need to remove a head. Figure out a simple method for that and we can make millions. Millions, I say! Millions!
Me either....

I try to think of "drumming" like a Universal Brotherhood (no offense to Sisters intended).

Barring the sacrifice of virgins or mutilation of puppies as part of our "musical expression"....

Why isn't it all "good"?

Why is different bad....or worse, why is different "wrong"?

I would be the first to confess a pretty narrow scope of what music I like. But I hold that view without having to disparage or malign someone else's choices...

It's perfectly fine....and normal to have preferences. But isn't there enough space on the bus for everybody?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My bad. In context, "complicated" is a different animal. "Advanced" stays.

I also cross-file paint cans and sand bags under Anal, regardless of what studio gurus, sound men, Pop disciples, self-absorbed Pro's and assorted YouTube snake oil pitch-men say.

Well, like they say "The art is in the details" and those small differences can elevate something good to great.
It may feel anal to you, and you can of course continue filing the world around you how ever you wish. Which is actually kind of funny since some feel that the need to file things can also be bit...well...anal.

dsop

Reaction score
I think this "innovation" is less about the natural bass drum but more in relation to how the drum is being recorded.
The weights that Yamaha added to the new Live Custom Hybrid Oak are supposed to "tune" the acoustic sound.
Bass Enhancement Weight (Patent Pending)
Designed with the Absolute lug in mind, the weights studded in the bass drum at the lug points attenuate low-mid frequencies resulting in a tight, focused bass drum sound.

jansara

Reaction score
Well, like they say "The art is in the details" and those small differences can elevate something good to great.
It may feel anal to you, and you can of course continue filing the world around you how ever you wish. Which is actually kind of funny since some feel that the need to file things can also be bit...well...anal.
You took it literally. That's anal.

Look, you can spend the rest of your life chasing a recorded sound which is generally agreed to be a frustrating, losing proposition, given the uncontrollable variables in the recording process, etc...

Why not find your own sound and stick with it regardless of what happens to be the flavor of the day. Miles said It takes a long time to sound like you. Forget about trying to sound like someone else. Chasing an elusive sound in your head can lead to premature hair loss, anxiety attacks, dry scalp, halitosis and erectile dysfunction.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You took it literally. That's anal.
Yes I took it literally, couldn't think of it as an abstract at all. Here I am, still imagining you actually filing different things in to a real life filing cabinets at home. Yes, sure, absolutely. :laughing6:

Latest posts