Weird cymbal lD help

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cymbals is spelled Simbals in Indonesia. (Discovered that today...) So, this could be a local Indonesian brand.

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would tell us more if we knew how old it is. As to Indonesia, if they were only going to sell them in Indonesia the letters GAF wouldn't work. The letter F is rare, as most can't say F, usually P instead. If they wanted to sell them to other countries they would just mark cymbals. Cymbals in Indonesia weren't made until the 90's. The only one I know of is Nebulae Cymbals, but ya never know. They worked for decades trying to make one that played as a cymbal, but couldn't roll the bronze thin enough.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would tell us more if we knew how old it is. As to Indonesia, if they were only going to sell them in Indonesia the letters GAF wouldn't work. The letter F is rare, as most can't say F, usually P instead. If they wanted to sell them to other countries they would just mark cymbals. Cymbals in Indonesia weren't made until the 90's. The only one I know of is Nebulae Cymbals, but ya never know. They worked for decades trying to make one that played as a cymbal, but couldn't roll the bronze thin enough.
The F looked like an E that mis-struck. So I filled in the other possible blanks and came up with GAE MI HYE. Sarching that I came across this page looking for info in Spanish. Not a speaker so have at it. :)

My guess is 1/2 of a Korean hand cymbal set. I dig the petroglyph logo!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
In that thread they didn't have any answers either, but if it helps, the logo is not a petroglyph but an ant.

Attachments

Cliff DeArment

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, has to be Korean. Gaemi means ant. There's a nail salon close by my area called Gaemi, and there's a great teriyaki place right next door. Maybe being funny to say Auntie Gaemi? I'll ask them next time.

Last edited:

Latest posts