Weird gig alert

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
So last night I played one of the strangest gig that I have done in 30 years as a gigging musician. The sister of a friend of mine(who is a guitar player and I happen to be gigging with this Saturday) reached out to me as she had a friend looking for a drummer to do a fill in gig last night. She didn't know anything about the gig other than the friend who needed a drummer. She passed my name on to this guy who reached out to me via text message and said it was a playing jazz at a burrito place in town here. It paid $75.00 and was supposed to be about two hours. I asked how many guys and I got nothing... a day later I got a text that said they wanted us to start at 7 but we couldn't set anything up until 7. That was odd so I figured I would bring my cocktail set as I can set that up in minutes.

When I showed up the place was packed with people, I had a hard time finding parking AND it was pouring rain outside. When I met the guy I found out he wasn't even a musician but ran a tap dancing school and hired me, a piano player and a trombone to play jazz for his students(teenage girls mostly) to practice tap for a show they had coming up. It was like a sweatshop in that place and we played two and half hours. Since I brought my cocktail set up it meant that I had to stand up and play that way for 2.5 hours straight. That's a long time for me to do that. It was also strange to hear classic jazz swing/latin/ballad standards with young girls tap dancing all over it.

On the one hand though, the kids were quite good. I can also see how Buddy Rich linked tap dancing with playing drums. A lot of the patterns they were doing sounded like some of the patterns Buddy would do in his solos. It also kept me on my toes(no pun intended) as the kids would go up to the piano player and request a standard, map out how they wanted us to play it and then we would find a tempo and go. Often times the tune would follow a standard format for the head and trade solos with the tap dancers. It was an interesting gig for sure. fortunately my next two gigs are just normal rock and roll gigs where I sit down. Still I say that a bad or odd gig is better than no gig at all. I have had a very busy past couple of months and it feels pretty good after the dry spell I had over the last year.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
We do it for the glory, not the money, right? Sounds like a cool gig. If you had brought a small kit and sat, I think it would have been better, weather and parking aside, but that's just Monday a.m. QB-ing. Sounds like you got thru it and did well.

Tell me you at least got a combo platter out of the deal????

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I was hoping to get there early to get something to eat but there was no parking and I circled the block for 20 minutes. I also was looking forward to playing some jazz as jazz seems dead around here and I don't get to do it much at all. Having tap dancing on top of it(though they were good) kind of ruined the jazz vibe though. It would be almost like listening to a nice swing number with someone playing a lightning fast buddy rich over the whole song!

I do wish I had brought a sit down set too. As fun and cool as the cocktail set is, 2.5 hours is just too long to do that without a break.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine standing up and drumming at all! As for the tapping, I would like to think I would have been able to tune it out.....sounds rough, man! And no food???
And rain? And a walk?