header.nohb.html

Weird overtone on a hi hat cymbal. Can it be hammered out?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Zildjian small stamp 15" hi hat top that has a weird ringing overtone that is very prominent, especially when the hats are played closed. Otherwise, it's a great sounding cymbal. Is this something that could be hammered out of it?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you would be better off selling it and finding one you like. Results of modifications aren’t guaranteed.
I'm hoping I can make this one work. Other than the overtone, I really like it - it's so smooth and mellow. Plus it has the 1950's semi-brilliant finish, which my other 1950's Zildjians have, which has been hard to find on a 15" hi hat.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you hear it when you play with other instruments? Some of those old Zildjians have wonky overtones that disappear in the mix. I had this one ride that would make make me stop playing and listen - is that the doorbell? A phone ringing? - always sounded like it was coming from somewhere else, messed with me every time.

I wonder if you could try a different clutch first (before potentially altering the cymbal). Different clutch felts even, maybe tighten em just a bit? I always liked that Remo clutch with the spring tension, that could be a help. How about a tiny piece of gaffers tape? Try various points on the underside of the hat, the edge, near the bell etc. Might as well try everything else BEFORE mods.

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
Can you hear it when you play with other instruments? Some of those old Zildjians have wonky overtones that disappear in the mix. I had this one ride that would make make me stop playing and listen - is that the doorbell? A phone ringing? - always sounded like it was coming from somewhere else, messed with me every time.

I wonder if you could try a different clutch first (before potentially altering the cymbal). Different clutch felts even, maybe tighten em just a bit? I always liked that Remo clutch with the spring tension, that could be a help. How about a tiny piece of gaffers tape? Try various points on the underside of the hat, the edge, near the bell etc. Might as well try everything else BEFORE mods.
Excellent point. I just recommended Cush Pads the other day in another forum. These tend to bring out the full tone of your hats. They may be worth a try.

CushPads.jpg

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score

Yeah, first thing that came to my mind, New Felts.
All good suggestions, felts, clutch & felts, tape @ underside.

mattr

Reaction score
You might try a small piece of gaff tape on the underside of the hat to see if it helps eliminate some of the overtone.
Make sure to use gaff tape as it does not leave any residue.
Here you go, this above… I have a 14” Armand top that has an ugly high pitch “zzzing” to it, but plays nice in a pair otherwise. High pitches emanate from the bell, so that’s were I put some tape underneath … not much tape knocked it down considerably.

Figure out the frequency of the annoyance and by lightly tapping along the profile of the cymbal (bell = high / edge = low), target the area with that relative pitch. Apply some tape there.

FatBoy46

Reaction score
I have a Zildjian small stamp 15" hi hat top that has a weird ringing overtone that is very prominent, especially when the hats are played closed. Otherwise, it's a great sounding cymbal. Is this something that could be hammered out of it?
put the top cymbal on the bottom- try that first

2oo2

Reaction score
Do both cymbals’ edges lay flat against each other when closed? The ringing could be caused by some spot not making full contact and vibrating freely, that’s going to cause some weird overtones for sure.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do both cymbals’ edges lay flat against each other when closed? The ringing could be caused by some spot not making full contact and vibrating freely, that’s going to cause some weird overtones for sure.
I'll check that and see.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m gonna try some tape and see what that does. I just assumed tape wouldn’t do much good on a hi hat, but it sounds like it’s worth a try.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m giving up on it. I tried tape, but the overtone just won’t go away.

I have jacked up hearing, so certain frequencies cause physical discomfort, and the tone this thing is making just wrecks my left ear. I’m going to pass it on to someone else who may have better luck with it.