Weird Situation With New Remo Heads and Drum Dots. Any Suggestions?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been playing Remo drum heads for as long as I can remember. Occasionally, I use Drum Dots (like Moon Gels) to dampen my drums. In the past 5 years or so of using Drum Dots, I have never had a problem. Until recently that is. About six weeks ago, I bought a set of new Remo coated Emperors. I put them on the drums, played them a bit, and then started preparing things for a recording I was doing. I went to put on some Drum Dots and for some reason, they would not stick to the Remo heads. I cleaned the Drum Dots with soap and water, as I have in the past, but it made no difference in terms of adhesion to the head. I tried everything, short of changing heads. (Mind you, the Drum Dots adhered to the previous Remo heads on drums without any problem.) I wound up using gaff tape instead, which worked okay, but it seemed to not stick as well as it typically does.

Fast forward to this week. I changed heads on my practice kit and put on some new Remo coated Ambassadors. Again, I went to put on Drum Dots on the new heads, and they would not adhere to the heads. Now, they literally were just fine 30 minutes prior when I had on my old Remo heads.

I can't figure out what the heck is going on. Did Remo change their formula recently? (My old heads were about a year old or so, if that matters.) I have never had this issue before with any Remo, Evans, or Aquarian heads.

Has anyone else had this issue as well? Anyone have any suggestions?

tris66

Reaction score
Funny, I pulled out some old, still-in-the-package drum dots a couple weeks ago and they wouldn't stick on old heads....

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In general, I don't think they are as tacky as Moongel but I like them a bit more because they don't curl and deform like Moongel. I use Evans heads and Drum Dots stock pretty well but seems to adhere better over time.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In general, I don't think they are as tacky as Moongel but I like them a bit more because they don't curl and deform like Moongel. I use Evans heads and Drum Dots stock pretty well but seems to adhere better over time.
Yeah, you are probably right, but I have never had an issue with the, adhering until just recently. I can only think Remo is doing something different.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I noticed the same thing when I received my new Ludwig kit with new REMO Coated heads. I figured, due to a rougher new head and the dots are of a firm substance as compared to Moon Gel, with the lack of a smoother surface for it to cling to. I assumed over time the Dots will do a better job, although they are (playing live, I'm not recording) working fine for me and depending on the gig I play, I'm finding I'm beginning to enjoy a more open sound anyway.

sherm

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has to be whatever sealant or protection coat they are using. They Use a coating to help keep the head clean and to keep grim etc.. from sticking. It is no doubt repelling your dampeners sticky properties.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It has to be whatever sealant or protection coat they are using. They Use a coating to help keep the head clean and to keep grim etc.. from sticking. It is no doubt repelling your dampeners sticky properties.
Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. Any ideas of how I can overcome this issue?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
SlapKlatz I like the most of all these sticky thingies. I don’t know why but to my ears they give a nicer sound and come in many sizes.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Tru-Tones have worked well for me on my coated emps (and cymbals), you gotta wash them to keep sticky.
My emps are at least a year old, might be a different coating

Latest posts