Weird sound from Gretsch Hammered Steel Snare

GuJo

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong area but I couldn't find a special place for technical questions.

I have a Gretsch Hammered Steel Snare that is making a weird buzzing sound no matter what I try or how I tune it.

I have had it for maybe 7-8 years and this has been driving me nuts for the last year or so, didn't use to be like this. I have checked for loose parts, I have changed heads, changed snare wires etc. I don't know what else to try. If I take the wires off the sound disappears so one would think that it has to be the snare wire hardware but I can't find anything that looks off.

Any ideas, I've talked to a lot of people including session drummers and no one knows what to try. I've been insanely meticulous about tuning and I have good pitch hearing etc so I'm not tone deaf :)

I don't know a way to post clips here so I hope a wetransfer link will do. Anyone taking a listen is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e23fb839546118d4aac943fa49553f0620200401131847/495f9434931e8d1c88b2c5ec98dd972b20200401131847/e70bdc

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get the file to open. Is it possible for you to upload a simple phone video?

By the way, this "weird noise" question is one that pops up all the time.

GeeDeeEmm

GuJo

Reaction score
I couldn't get the file to open. Is it possible for you to upload a simple phone video?

By the way, this "weird noise" question is one that pops up all the time.

GeeDeeEmm

Sorry about that! I tried to upload the phone video but in the file window both the video file, wav and mp3 files where greyed out.

I will look more thoroughly for this question, and maybe I'll try to post a clip that works better.

Thanks for answering. No spyware, I promise!

GuJo

Reaction score
Does Your Country Have Soundcloud? Check to see If Badge is Buzzing...
Yeah, I'll upload to soundcloud tomorrow.

If I disengage the snares the sound goes away, but I'll check the badge also.

Thanks!

GuJo

Reaction score
Did you mount the snare wires properly? Let's see a pic of the underside/wire shot of your drum.
Yup, here it is. I have been redoing it a lot being as careful as I possibly can, but I really do think the problem has something to do with wire placement/hardware.
IMG_6639.jpg

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bottom head too loose, and snare wires not making proper contact because you're using solid plastic strips through the ends

try some grosgrain ribbon, and a tuning key

GuJo

Reaction score
bottom head too loose, and snare wires not making proper contact because you're using solid plastic strips through the ends

try some grosgrain ribbon, and a tuning key
Ok bottom head too loose is bugging me, the screws are really tight and starts squeeking if I thighten right now. I must have turned them at leat 3-4 full rotations, still too loose?

Yes plastic strips, I've heard this mentioned before but didn't think it could cause this much of a problem. Tuning key...what key? C major? ;-)

Thanks, much appreciated.

GuJo

Reaction score
It almost looks like your butt plate is not installed centered, or is that an illusion in the picture?
In the picture it looks very much not centered but it isn't really. Although it moves from side to side a couple of mm, problem?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Take that drum to a Drum teacher in town or someone with Some experience---you're so far off in the weeds We can't bring you back unless we were In Person with the drum.
Who ever sold that to you should have included some tips.... so look for someone local to give you some tips . Not going to get solved online- unless you like painfully slow--- Get it done in person
IN PERSON (does anyone remember that? )
Maybe a Skype to Skype with a professional drummer. Maybe.

GuJo

Reaction score
Take that drum to a Drum teacher in town or someone with Some experience---you're so far off in the weeds We can't bring you back unless we were In Person with the drum.
Who ever sold that to you should have included some tips.... so look for someone local to give you some tips . Not going to get solved online- unless you like painfully slow--- Get it done in person
IN PERSON (does anyone remember that? )
Maybe a Skype to Skype with a professional drummer. Maybe.
Very helpful thanks!
Although it seems some other people here have some tips that I might try first if that's ok with you?

I have a snare drum that have been giving me great sounds for several years, now something is off and I am totally open to it being something that you may think is stupid.

And if I might say, isn't it a bit ironic that you are emphasizing IN PERSON like an internet forum is for idiots all the while you're posting 14000 + times on...an internet forum?

GuJo

Reaction score
You're wasting your time. Find a drummer in your town and learn what you're trying to do. Surely there';s a drummer around. Where and from whom How did you get that drum?

We can't - I don't - Tension Drums over the Internet----
Did I ever ask anyone to help me tune the drum?

So your advice is that this is just a tuning issue? That's more helpful., although it is not the problem.
As I said: I have been getting great sounds from this snare drum, tuned by myself, for a long time.
Now I can't, and I am willing to admit to the stupidity of whatever is causing the problem once it's solved. I just want to be able to record this drum again.

Also, to whoever listens to the audio clip of the snare, the snare is not anywhere near tuned when I recorded it. I was desperately trying anything, including dropping lugs to almost zero tension to see if I could identify the problem.

I'm REALLY not looking to start a fight on an internet forum, I've got other things to do, but I never understood what makes people answer questions like you have been doing herer. If you are truly above it all, it's a way better look to not answer at all.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Now that´s a weird sound indeed - are those Puresound snare wires?

I had a similar experience with (two different sets of) Puresounds when I mounted them with grosgrain ribbon. Didn´t work at all - just a terrible, terrible buzz that couldn´t be controlled, much like what your snare sounds like. Tried the strings that came with the wires and it worked. Problem is, those Puresound strings are made of wire and likely to cut into your reso head and bearing edge - poor idea IMHO. Above all, they don´t even sound that good to me. Will never ever bother with that brand again.

Try Tama or Pearl snare wires - great quality, sound and response.

Latest posts