Weird zinging sound from hi hat

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just bought a beautiful pair of Agop 30th 12" hats, but ran into a strange problem. They have a sort of zinging, whining sound when closed. Also, there's a strong tone emanating from the bell that seems to come through when I'm playing it closed. It sounds beautiful when sloshed and opened, so I'd like to keep them. Have you guys and gals run into this sort of issue before? Tony at cymbals only suggested bending them around the edges. I've tried taping the bottom bell with little results. (I'm thinking the athletic tape I used was too thin.) Any suggestions? Here's some clips:

https://soundcloud.com/mikedrums-1%2Fsets%2Fringing-hi-hat

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're not closing fully for one thing... Try reversing them and playing the snot out of them Show em who's boss.

In context of clip 2 it doesn't matter as much.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They sound thin. I would just not press hard with the foot as it can distort the shape, which might be the reason for the whining sound.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well he's chosen 12" as his main hi hats and it seems to work as evidence in Clip 2.
So imagine he's going to press hard and treat them as main hi hats would be treated. But there's a warp there somewhere)
But your choice of 12" 30ths are they? Is your decision and they sound Good to great in the context of clip 2.
I wouldn't tell you (the solution is to) play them Lightly. Have to be played as main as your choice. I respect your choice.

what is the weight of the little darlings any way? ; )

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
The top weighs in at 460g and the bottom is 520g. According to Tony at cymbals only, these are on the heavier end for this model. Yes, they don’t sit flat on a table. Tony ( that’s who I bought em from) told me to bend the edges of the top and bottom. I have tried this a few times top and bottom with little results.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Had a pair of sabians that made this same exact sound and could not fix it. Tony should let you return them for another pair because this is not normal or pleasing (being "top of the line" Agop 30th's they should be!).

Last edited:

mikeylicious78

Reaction score
Had a pair of sabians that made this same exact sound and could not fix it. Tony should let you return them for another pair because this is not normal or pleasing (being "top of the line" Agop 30th's they should be!).
Well, he claims that they sounded amazing when he got them in and played it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 12" K splash and a 12" Wuhan splash - I've tried them as mini hats but they were both thin and didn't sound good........

I also have a pair of 10" First Act "crashes" from my kid's kit. I tried those as HH's and they were nice. Because they are cheap, stiff and heavy.....