Well dang, how to remove this stain from Camco Oaklawn

n2600

Reaction score
I bought an Oaklawn kit from a wonderful gentleman who had decided to put DW gaskets ("cookies") under the lugs of the 14, 16, and 20. He hadn't gotten to the last drum, a converted Tuxedo to Aristocrat 12", and I decided it should have these gaskets as well. (Yes the grommet on the badge is wrong, to be fixed later!)

Today, I decided to remove the gaskets (the tensions rods never felt quite at the right angle,) and to my horror, they left a stain of some sorts.

I've only tested minimal cleaning via paper towels, warm water with detergent, rubbing alcohol, and WD40, and none of the black stuff is coming out. Am I screwed? This kit has huge sentimental value.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-nico
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 9.37.23 PM.png

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly prep-sol but have to be extremely careful, can you see the black ring with the lug on.
I wouldn't even bother. play em.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Camco lugs round "like" DW (I know they are precursors)......so why do I see what appears to be a long lug indentation between the holes?
I've had DW drums with rubber gaskets - they are full circles, and have never left marks on wrapped or wooden drums. Very odd. Plus, they look even and like they've gotten into the stain??? I don't see how it would have seeped into the finish and so evenly. Very odd.

Anyway, I guess I need better pics, but I would try either rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, Magic Eraser sponges very lightly dampened w/water, hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip, a pencil eraser or vinegar on a q-tip, then report back.......

EDIT: I guess Tuxedo means single centered lugs, right?

philmets

Reaction score
I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compond to restore lacquer finished shells. Great for removing light scratches and surface marks...

1.png

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Aren't the Camco lugs round "like" DW (I know they are precursors)......so why do I see what appears to be a long lug indentation between the holes?
I've had DW drums with rubber gaskets - they are full circles, and have never left marks on wrapped or wooden drums. Very odd. Plus, they look even and like they've gotten into the stain??? I don't see how it would have seeped into the finish and so evenly. Very odd.

Anyway, I guess I need better pics, but I would try either rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, Magic Eraser sponges very lightly dampened w/water, hydrogen peroxide on a q-tip, a pencil eraser or vinegar on a q-tip, then report back.......

EDIT: I guess Tuxedo means single centered lugs, right?

I believe the poster mentions that this was originally a center lug drum that was converted to the round lugs.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's the problem with rubber lug protectors on Lacquer finishes.

The same thing happened on a yellow 8x12 Gretsch tom. I removed the tom mount bracket to fly it off of a RIMS mount. The rubber leached into the lacquer. Ended up repainting the drum.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Geez...if WD40 didnt work, thats a tough one. Maybe try plastic polish, like some of the guys above have suggested. I'd try a Magic Eraser as well.

n2600

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. It does appear that a chemical bond has formed between the "biscuit" gasket and the (mercifully not original) finish. The marks are smooth to the touch. I don't mind the gaskets, but I was a bit surprised to see the marks when removing the lugs!

Last edited:

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the same gasket gunk under the lugs of my 2016 5x14 black beauty - suggestions for removing from metal shells?

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Were they factory gaskets or something homemade? I would hope drum makers would be more selective in their choice of material.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Little bit of Comet maybe?!
try it report back..