Went to see a Tribute band last night (and a music garage sale earlier)

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see a Beatles tribute band last night with my wife at a local playhouse venue. Overall the show was well done although I thought it lacked a bit of "spark" in the performances. That seems typical of tribute acts where they pretty much have to do exactly the same thing night after night after night (I was in a tribute type band myself for a decade but we weren't really a tribute in the sense of a re-creation of a show by the original group, more like an "inspired by" act doing many songs in the same genre that the originals never touched which gave me the flexibility to play what I wanted....within reason).

The thing is I seldom truly enjoy such things, or really any kind of "rock" performance, apparently due to being a "musician" myself. I tend to look at the "nuts and bolts" of the performance and think about what I like and what I don't about the equipment, staging, sound, lighting, etc. If a performance is truly stellar it can take me out of that mindset but otherwise I'm second guessing everything that's going on and wishing I was somewhere playing myself. In this case the guy's drum tuning was not good, particularly the snare drum, which sounded like he was whapping on a wet cereal box, and that took me out of the zone for the whole performance. Funny how something like that can be so bothersome. The place was packed (mostly older baby boomers about 10 years older than me) and they were loving it so who am I to knock success. My wife was tired and grumpy so that didn't help (her current work schedule put this way past her normal bedtime and she was feeling it). This act had all the right equipment, which is a plus, Vox amps (although I don't think they were actually plugged into those) the correct guitars, and an OBP (rewrapped) Super Classic set.

Overall a nice show but I guess I set the bar too high to be truly impressed myself.

Earlier in the day I went to a "rummage sale" at a local music venue and music teaching center that was liquidating all their equipment and fixtures. I was concerned that this meant the venue was done for (one of my favorite rooms I've ever played) but apparently they are just totally re-doing everything and getting rid of what they had (your tax dollars at work since it's a publicly supported place). Lots of bargains to be had. I missed out on a couple things (like a $35 Acro) because as I was walking in a guy I'd never met recognized me from the aforementioned tribute band (which broke up 10 years ago) and wanted to engage in chit chattery. Not wanting to be rude (and not yet seeing what I was missing out on) I had to stand there and talk. This was right when they were opening. The sale was scheduled to run from 1-6 on two days but stuff was pretty well picked over after the first half hour. I did get a Jazz fest ($100) and a early 70s Ludwig set (12/16/22) also $100. The set has been stripped of wrap but is otherwise more or less complete, The JF has been painted black over Champagne sparkle. So two projects to add to my list. The black paint may be epoxy so I'm not sure if the Champagne will see the light of day again. I also got several vintage stands and a couple of pedals (SK and a Ghost) for $10 each (missed out on several other nice things in the $10 category that would have been worth grabbing had I got there a few minutes sooner). Several $5 items that were partial stands, and a big stack of LPs. A rather nice haul for the day although had I started a few minutes earlier and had the ability to carry more it might have been a far larger score. I missed out on all the good cymbals (some nice Sabians) and some signed Louie Bellson memorabilia (he played what I think was his final performance at this venue, and I set up and tore down his set that night). I didn't even really look at all the sound equipment and there was a bunch of guitars and amps as well. I totally ignored an 80s Tama set for sale, double bass with (I think) 4 mounted toms and two floor toms, plus snare all in black and in great shape. Someone got that for $100 too. I'm not really a fan of Tama but man that was a major steal for the guy that bought it.

So quite a musical day. If I'd had a late afternoon gig it might have been a perfect day.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I respect the work that has to go into pulling of a tribute band properly, but these days I think such an endeavor might be more fun to play in than to hold my interest as an audience member, unless they mix it up with some reinterpretations.

Endless chances to gig though.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I respect the work that has to go into pulling of a tribute band properly, but these days I think such an endeavor might be more fun to play in than to hold my interest as an audience member, unless they mix it up with some reinterpretations.

Endless chances to gig though.

Maybe fun the first hundred times but at some point it's going to be a job like any other. I guess really any band can do that if you play enough. It does seem that the tribute route is a good path to choose if you want to play a lot these days. If you pick the right band to copy you're already at least 50% there towards getting gigs based on their reputation...assuming your tribute is reasonably competent

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a chance to be a fill-in drummer for an Eagles tribute band... woulda been a breeze cuz I played every Eagles song ever made in country-rock bar bands back in the day.

At the end of the day I realized that I just did not want to play Eagles covers any more unless the money was REALLY good (pay was average and most of their gigs were in Phoenix... 100 miles away). I passed, no regrets.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
What a bummer to run into an old friend, snag a vintage Ludwig 22 at a great price and hear some of the greatest rock songs performed live and loud. Sorry you had to endure all of that, Oscar the Grouch.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a bummer to run into an old friend, snag a vintage Ludwig 22 at a great price and hear some of the greatest rock songs performed live and loud. Sorry you had to endure all of that, Oscar the Grouch.
It was not an old friend, it was some guy I'd never met chewing my ear about some gig 15 years ago that he was at. I didn't brush him aside or ignore him but spent 5 minutes of quality time listening to him ramble while other folks were grabbing the cream items of the sale.

I ended the post by saying that if I could have also played somewhere that day it might have been a perfect day. I did offer my honest critique of a band I saw. Sorry if it came off as being a grouch. I'm a pessimist by nature.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a tribute band kind of guy — if I want to hear a band's music I'll play their CDs. The only tribute band I ever saw was when I took my mom to see "Beatlemania" at the Pantages Theater in 1978. I was impressed by the staging, but it was still just a tribute band show. However my mom loved it! (The Beatles were her favorite rock band.)

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t say anything bad about tribute bands or I’ll probably end up in one ……

How much sleep have you lost thinking you shoulda just blown off the guy wanting to shoot the breeze ?

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Earlier in the day I went to a "rummage sale" at a local music venue and music teaching center that was liquidating all their equipment and fixtures. I was concerned that this meant the venue was done for (one of my favorite rooms I've ever played) but apparently they are just totally re-doing everything and getting rid of what they had (your tax dollars at work since it's a publicly supported place). Lots of bargains to be had. I missed out on a couple things (like a $35 Acro) because as I was walking in a guy I'd never met recognized me from the aforementioned tribute band (which broke up 10 years ago) and wanted to engage in chit chattery. Not wanting to be rude (and not yet seeing what I was missing out on) I had to stand there and talk. This was right when they were opening. The sale was scheduled to run from 1-6 on two days but stuff was pretty well picked over after the first half hour. I did get a Jazz fest ($100) and a early 70s Ludwig set (12/16/22) also $100. The set has been stripped of wrap but is otherwise more or less complete, The JF has been painted black over Champagne sparkle. So two projects to add to my list. The black paint may be epoxy so I'm not sure if the Champagne will see the light of day again. I also got several vintage stands and a couple of pedals (SK and a Ghost) for $10 each (missed out on several other nice things in the $10 category that would have been worth grabbing had I got there a few minutes sooner). Several $5 items that were partial stands, and a big stack of LPs. A rather nice haul for the day although had I started a few minutes earlier and had the ability to carry more it might have been a far larger score. I missed out on all the good cymbals (some nice Sabians) and some signed Louie Bellson memorabilia (he played what I think was his final performance at this venue, and I set up and tore down his set that night). I didn't even really look at all the sound equipment and there was a bunch of guitars and amps as well. I totally ignored an 80s Tama set for sale, double bass with (I think) 4 mounted toms and two floor toms, plus snare all in black and in great shape. Someone got that for $100 too. I'm not really a fan of Tama but man that was a major steal for the guy that bought it.

So quite a musical day. If I'd had a late afternoon gig it might have been a perfect day.

I know where you were. RME in Davenport. I thought about going down there but I don't really need anything and didn't want to fight the traffic.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t say anything bad about tribute bands or I’ll probably end up in one ……

How much sleep have you lost thinking you shoulda just blown off the guy wanting to shoot the breeze ?

Actually if not for the circumstance I would have been quite flattered that the guy recognized me. I wasn't exactly a high profile member of that 11 member group since I don't sing and was always tucked away in the back. Nice to know we/I made that sort of an impression on him that he felt the need to talk about it 15 years later. It was just really bad timing for what I was wanting to do. I ran into several other people who I actually do know while I was there and had nice conversations with them...after I'd gathered up my pile of booty.

Nothing to lose sleep over I guess. I probably could have scored a couple of cheap cymbals. I grabbed one $10 Speed King but saw someone else carrying 3 more, although how many do you really need? (I have 2-3 already) . Missed the nice 70's Acro @$35 but again I have some. The 3 ply Ludwigs I bought (12/16/22) are more or less complete but have been rewrapped in something white and have some extra holes. May be more parts drums than a project in their own right. The jazz festival was probably the most expensive single drum item there @$100 by itself. It's all there although at some point someone replaced the original muffler with a mid 70's 3 screw mount version meant for vistalites, so two extra holes. And they painted it with what appears to be black epoxy. Not sure that's coming off without damaging the wrap underneath (although I will try) so might be a rewrap at some point. The big $100 Tama set was the steal of the day. It was in beautiful shape. I don't know what series it was but it had the top drawer mounts of that era. I'm sure it was more of a $7-800 set.

Lots of other stuff that I didn't really even look at. Artwork, signed posters, all sorts of sound gear. If they'd had shopping carts available I might have got a lot more cool stuff although hard to say for sure given the feeding frenzy that was occurring. If you showed up later you were pretty much out of luck. There was a tub of mic cables that weren't marked, when I asked the cashier what the price would be she said "whatever you want to pay for them" but when I went back they had been scooped up. Kind of a once in a lifetime deal. It was pretty apparent that, although they weren't going to give the stuff away, they wanted it all gone.

Maybe in 20 years they'll do it again. I loved playing at this place back between 2005-2011 and really hope my current band can maybe get booked in there at some point.

I know where you were. RME in Davenport. I thought about going down there but I don't really need anything and didn't want to fight the traffic.

Yeah, parking was a pain. they had most of the street parking in that part of town blocked off for the Christmas parade later that day. I also managed to make a wrong turn on one of the maze of one way streets down there but, fortunately, there wasn't any traffic on it at the moment.

Last edited: