Were there additional musicians in your family? Tell us!

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
My grandpa played trombone, and his brother (David Bean) was a professional dancer. He was in West Side Story as "Tiger".

My older brother plays guitar, piano, harpsichord, drums, and probably other instruments. He has released two albums as "Ozarks" and is in The Parson Red Heads.

My younger brother lives in Nashville. He plays guitar & saxophone. He has released three albums (Midwest, Jason Thomas), and is working on his forth.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife was a violinist in college. My son was an All-East trombonist and graduated with a music degree from Indiana University Jacobs School of Music and was in the IU Marching Hundred. My daughter played clarinet in high school and marched. Music was a big part of my house.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nobody in my family played a musical instrument. Although, when I was younger I found out that my Great-Grandfather on my mom's side was the leader of a Society Orchestra in NYC around the turn of the century (19-20th). As I understand it, he played a variety of instruments, including drums.

He died mysteriously in 1909 or 10. My Grandfather was only 6 at the time and he never got the full story. Somewhere I have a photo of him with his orchestra, which I think was the only photo of him that my Grandfather had.

But from what I learned in bits & pieces when I was growing up, my Great-Grandfather was part of a large family that had a lucrative fruit and fish distributorship including a slot at the Fulton Fish Market in NYC (apparently tough to get and coveted).

In the family business there was an eminent passing of the torch and he was the heir-apparent to everything, and it was theorized that certain factions of the large family may have conspired to ensure he didn't take over. One of my aunts had heard he may have been poisoned, but she was only 7 or 8 at the time herself.

Through the magic of the Interwebs I was able to find out the address of the building where he passed (I was able to visit it before it was torn down about 15 years ago) and a few other nuggets, but nothing concrete. Kind of an interesting but sad tale, I think he was only about 30 when he passed.

Ian S

Reaction score
I take it the question is mostly related to our blood relations. Yes, the overwhelming majority of my family through many generations, especially on mom's side, but some on dad's too, plays music to some degree. Many of us are multi-instrumentalists, and several have played in various levels of professional settings.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
My dad, and one of my uncles on my mother's side of the family
were singers and guitarists (Spanish folk music) and they both were so nerdy
with their reel-to-reel tape recorders... and that by itself rubbed off on me.

My mother sang in church. But she sounded better in the shower,
because ...you know... bathroom reverb. lol

But I tuned out to be the most musical person in my family
as a singer, guitarist/bassist/drummer, songwriter, and being active
in my local music scene.

I'm not counting relatives who were into DJ'ing, rapping, and break-dancing
although I do not disrespect those expressive art forms.
We're talkin about actually playing Musical Instruments here.

I had often thought about passing this music talent on to the
younger generations in my extended family, but I don't wanna get too involved
nor pressure them if they show no interest.
If they want to learn music the bug will bite and they will pick it up
somehow sooner or later.

Back in the late 80s it was rumored that a distant cousin of mine
was a member of the Puerto Rican boy-band Menudo.
Whether that was true or not, I never bothered to follow up on it;
and I was never a Menudo fan although some of their
80s English pop songs were kinda cool.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
you bet .... my dad was a great fiddle , mandolin , and button accordian player
my mom was an irish dancer and singer
3 brothers all play , one plays bass , another brother is a drummer also , and my youngest brother
is a fiddle , mandolin , and guitar player .... my youngest brother left home at 17 playing all over canada , and the usa
he eventually landed a job with the bellamy bros . that took him all over the usa , canada , and europe
i play in a band with 2 of my brothers , the bass player and my youngest bro . my dad passed away in 2014
growing up my brother and meself played in my dads band

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No other family that I know of except for my dad's father who could apparently play all sorts of stringed instruments by ear.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No one in my generation, but my Grandpa played drums and trombone and one uncle played drums and 2 aunties played piano and sang. Also have a granddaughter who sings and acts in musicals at a pro level and a great granddaughter who is learning mandolin.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
None here either. Everyone sang in the car or shower, or in the kitchen, whatever. But no one played an instrument. Now, my sister had a guitar that my father bought her in the 70s. Heck, I still have that thing. But she never played it.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
My uncle's a drummer, I'm a drummer (obviously), and my two nephews on the same side have taken up drumming as well. My grandfather on the other side was apparently a child tap-dancing sensation; he won a number of talent shows and apparently toured southern Ontario to perform at the age of 5.

The only musical member of my immediate family is my brother, who unfortunately lives very far away in a small mountaintop village in Israel. He plays acoustic guitar and sings blues, folk, bluegrass and gospel tunes, and I accompany him on harmonica and washboard whenever we manage to get together.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyone in my immediate family. My mother, father and sister were all accomplished pianists and my little brother played pretty good guitar.
My maternal uncle, no blood relation obviously, was a trumpet player, which inspired me to take up cornet in school. Played that thing for 7 or eight years until a few guys in the neighborhood and I decided if we were in a band girls would like us.
I chose drums.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
My mom is self-taught on piano and also played flute when she was younger. In high school my dad played trombone, which in his paraphrased words, was a terrible instrument for someone who is tone-deaf. Now he says he can only play a CD (or nowadays an mp3). I'm the only one of my siblings that plays any instrument, though my sister tried guitar a little bit.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dad was a jazz drummer who got to perform onstage with Bill Haley and the Comets when he was a kid. They had a line of kids who played for about 30 seconds to a minute each. When my Dad did his bit, BH said something to the effect of “Wow, kid! You’re actually good! Don’t give up drumming!” My Dad never stopped after that. His heroes were Max Roach, Philly Jo Jones, Elvin, and all the great bebop jazz drummers. The reason I got into drums is from growing up with them in the house, and listening to how my Dad played and the music that was always on the turntable.

My Mom played classical piano at a concert level into her teens and performed in front of audiences. I think she had to quit around the time she went to college to take her academic life more seriously.

My brother used to play better or as good as I did on drums when we were kids, but I stuck with it nd he didn’t. lol

He was a decent trumpet player before going to high school. He probably would’ve been good if he continued.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My grandfather on my mother's side was one of those guys that could play just about any instrument and he was quite the soft shoe tap dancer as well. There was a night club called Dunes outside of Atlantic City he performed at into his 60s-70s. His grave marker says "Fidler on the hoof." Needless to say, my mother and aunt both played piano at some level and encouraged us to take music lessons. Quite a few of my cousins on the other side of the family played piano as well and there was a piano in every home.

My step-brother plays bass and sax. He's the only sibling besides me that went beyond piano lessons as a kid and playing in bands.

I do have a cousin that is an actress (you've all seen her on the Seinfeld episode "The Contest" among many other shows she's appeared on). Her husband is actor and has been in quite a few movies and tv shows himself including a major roll in Nurse Jackie. She played piano growing up and now her son is getting into guitar.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Ah man, my brother and I both played piano, cello, and tenor sax. Was glad to finish all of those since it was all suzuki method and very structured and only playing classical music. Got super boring doing that.

Neither of our parents played anything, but apparently my grandpa, great grandpa, etc. in iran were carpenters and made all different types of wooden instruments and played all of them.

I asked my dad if there was any way we can play any of them, and apparently in iran back in the day they were cool with multiple wives. Well rightfully so - my great grandma wasn't a fan of that. When she found out my great grandpa had another wife and family, she took all of his Life's work of instruments and other woodworking stuff, put them all on the front lawn, poured gasoline over them, and lit it on fire. Old dude died of a heart attack on the spot when he came home and saw that. Long story short fellas, no more handmade instruments exist. That, and don't start another family behind your wives back.....at least of you got no morals and a heart condition.