Were there additional musicians in your family? Tell us!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in A School in the service and they had "duty skeds" that we had to fill. I asked around and if you played in the military band, you didn't have to stand duty.
I jumped at it.
I didn't read percussion music. But, I convinced them I had been behind the kit long enough to be able to play the bass drum. Sure enough, after an audition, they trusted my ear and I was able to mesh into the band without any issues. I didn't have sheet music cards like the rest of them. I just had the names of the songs on a single card and played what felt right in the moment. They gave me an award for my contribution. It was actually a lot of fun.
I played a few gigs in the five or six months I was there.
Excellent trade-off. A few gigs on the bass drum and I stood ZERO mids. Awesome!!!
Dude, you're a friggin' God! I got drafted right outta college. I got drafted by my siblings into playing the drums. Uncle Sam made into a Corpsman after boot. Then sent Greenside 8404 to the 2nd Marines/24th MAU. Eventually got pulled outta there because I knew enough corrupt Arabic, Farsi and Dari to get assigned to a medic-less UN peacekeeping unit in Eastern Africa. I was disposable! There I drum-battled it out on a beat-up Premiere drum set against the bad-guys' Djembes when we weren't pressed into pulling triggers on them! I learned to master their rhythm on the M-60.

Downbeat

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was adopted at birth into a family where literally no one played a musical instrument on either side of the family. I ended up being very passionate about drums and music generally and they never understood it.

In the last few years I've found both sides of my biological family. Sure enough, there are loads of singers and musicians on both sides, along with a couple clergy (I'm also a clergy person). DNA is wild.
Similar story, adopted at birth, recently found biological family full of musicians. My adopted family is musician-less.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah mostly on my Dad's side. My Grandfather played a little fiddle and guitar when he was younger, but I don't remember that, in later years he had one of those Genie organs that they always had at the malls for sale. He loved it but wasn't all that great. In fact after his heart attack he asked the doctor if he could play his organ when he got home....doctor said yes....my grandmother said "wow, you couldn't play it before your heart attack!" :)

My Dad has always played guitar and sang. His cousin played fiddle and I found out from a bass player friend of mine that he had an audition for George Jones back in the 60's, the bassist played fro Jones and new my second cousin and got him the audition. Jones was in one of his moods and he blew the audition.

My sister played clarinet in high school. Her husband is a drummer and is the main reason I started playing. He was really good to me lending me his Ludwigs and got me started. My mom can play the radio but that's about it :)
My mom's instrument was the syringe and bottle. Music is what freed us kids from that world.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, you're a friggin' God! I got drafted right outta college. I got drafted by my siblings into playing the drums. Uncle Sam made into a Corpsman after boot. Then sent Greenside 8404 to the 2nd Marines/24th MAU. Eventually got pulled outta there because I knew enough corrupt Arabic, Farsi and Dari to get assigned to a medic-less UN peacekeeping unit in Eastern Africa. I was disposable! There I drum-battled it out on a beat-up Premiere drum set against the bad-guys' Djembes when we weren't pressed into pulling triggers on them! I learned to master their rhythm on the M-60.
Wow. Interesting.
You definitely had a run. Glad you're feet on the ground good today.
Most of my trigger days were in Central America. Lots of others but they were mostly Intel trips. For some reason, Central America needed some armed time from me. I dealt with some of the intel for those missions and to this day, I'm still a bit perplexed at some of the calls. Time frame - it was the Noriega days in 88 and 89.
Anyway, we should probably release this discussion and take it private for any further replies. That way we don't get too far into the political thing or even disrupt this thread any further. Drum Forum ...
Good to meet you, brother.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Interesting.
You definitely had a run. Glad you're feet on the ground good today.
Most of my trigger days were in Central America. Lots of others but they were mostly Intel trips. For some reason, Central America needed some armed time from me. I dealt with some of the intel for those missions and to this day, I'm still a bit perplexed at some of the calls. Time frame - it was the Noriega days in 88 and 89.
Anyway, we should probably release this discussion and take it private for any further replies. That way we don't get too far into the political thing or even disrupt this thread any further. Drum Forum ...
Good to meet you, brother.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always took a Djembe with me as often as possible. If I could get one to fit in the seabag, it went with my gear stuffed inside. Danced a bit with los pinches Luminosos, Farcs and Mo's (Manny Ortega) campers during Ronnie's tenure. Always carried Bongos there. Most of my time was in the Middle-east. A lotta guys didn't have anything to wind down after a hot party. I always came back to the Djembe. The ultimate therapy for me to this day. I can carry a conversation while playing. Even on the stinking phone.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My great-grandfather and namesake was a touring musician. He was an operatic singer who sang with the Metropolitan Opera, a clarinet player, and a published songwriter.

Dad wrote a song at 17 that Ricky Nelson recorded on his The Very Thought Of You album. He was a guitar and piano player and sang with a doo-wop group composed of friends. He went to Hackensack High School with studio guitar legend Hugh McCracken.

My brother plays bass and guitar. He was the bass player on my very first studio session in 1981. He had just turned 10 years old!

Dan

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only my mom sang. Other than that, nada!

halldorl

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father was a hobbyist singer but he passed away when I was 10. Only musician in the family. My mother didn’t like it at all that I wanted to study music and did everything she could to talk me out of it. It made me all the more determined :) She never saw me play live although I was playing semi-professionally at age 15 already.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Grandparents had an pump/reed organ (quite an investment for a poor family) and my parents sang in a choir and played quite a lot - and listened to music all the time. One of their first furniture bought was a record player!
We were all encouraged to play music, annoying our neighbors but the two closest to us was employed at the school where my father was headmaster so officially they said very polite things about our struggles learning our instruments...
Both my brothers are music teachers/composers/musicians so I'm the odd son... even though I've always played in bands, except for some years becoming a father at the same time I was working a lot as a TV producer/researcher/etc.

I think what I learned about having my parents support was not to force my own kids, but being open to them trying out whatever interests they thought they wanted to. Musically, they've got good taste in music!

Quai34

Reaction score
My Mom was a classical Piano concertist before she married my Dad, my daughter sings and play guitars, my son played the Piano and might restart in few years when family life will allow him to do so...But between my 2 brothers and sisters, I'm the only one who went that far with Piano, synths, recording, studio, music's lessons at the conservatory plus Berkeley college etc...

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No. I am it. But my 14 year old nephew is really surprising me with his piano skills. He's taken up drums recently. They go hand in hand.