header.nohb.html

Were you around for the Ludwig Blue/Olive logo change?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wasn’t playing when the switch was made, but, I used to think the B/O badge looked cheap. In recent decades, I’ve grown to like it, but, still prefer the keystone badge, especially the current cast badge.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was 11 or 12 when the switch was made. At that time, I was very much into things that looked modern rather than vintage, and I thought the interlocking "L" and "G" was such a cool wordmark. Over time, however, the nostalgia bug hit me and I began to prefer the keystone badge with script logo over the B/O badge with block lettering. I think the Legacy keystone badge is Ludwig's best. I don't like the thickness of the Monroe badge. Today, I associate the B/O badge with 70's and 80's Ludwig drums, vistalites, and today's B stock snares (as well as early MTV music videos).

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
My first kit was a way old keystone badge kit that I loved.

My next two kits were blue/green kits that I absolutely loved. I haven't owned a Ludwig since
1987. Went to Tempus, Fibes Austin, DW and now Inde and have not looked back. Still have
the Tempus, DW and Inde. Wish I hadn't sold the Fibes but got an offer I could absolutely not
refuse, enough to get me into a large DW kit.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HA! That would be pretty cool, if they made the heads for volume.
But I always just figured "db 750" was the 7.5mil head, and 1000 was 10 mil...I think there was a db 1250 as well..
IF I recall correctly (and possibly do not) each "db" had a different color logo.

Then after the db stuff I think they came out with the Ludwig logo (with the L and G connected) that was blue and shiny like a mirror. I'm just going from memory from when we would get new heads for the drums in school about once year.
I think that was prior to the "Rockers, Groovers, and Striders" lines.

I think their sticks also had the same blue shiny logo too (I'm sure there is a real Ludwig name for it) for a time.
You mentioned the Ludwig "db" heads. That made me chuckle. I worked with a bass player back in the 80s that was always talking about how his former drummer used those "1000 DB" heads like they were super loud (decibels). Pretty sure DB stood for "drum batter" but where's the fun in that?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was around then. Really didn't care! I liked the drums either way. I think we were much less logo/brand conscious then. There were the”imports” and there were the high end stuff. We didn’t even care about the heritage of the tree they were from. Did it sound good? More like it. I was playing Slingerlands then. Just liked the set, and I'd got a great deal on them from The Pro Drum shop. Thanks Bob!!......
Scanned Image-1.jpeg

Last edited: