Wetsanding Wraps?

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I read about this a little while ago and recently received some Blue Oyster Pearl drums that showed their age- scratches and fading. I decided to give wetsanding a shot, having good luck when going with the direction of the pearl pattern. I didn't spend much time at any level, not wanting to go to deep. Here's what I did:

1000 grit
1500 grit
2000 grit
2500 grit
Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound
Turtle Wax Hard Shell Wax

Would like to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Those look great. I'm wetsanding some bdp club dates, & started with 800grit. I tried 1200 & it seemed like I was getting nowhere. Did you really notice anything with the higher grits?.......marko

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've seen some of the thinner wraps, like the oysters, look ok after wet sanding, but years later they started to crack. I would never do it...

gingerb91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that this finish seems to prone to cracking. I've seen quite a few with cracks. I wonder how wet sanding could cause cracking though?

I never spent very much time at any grit for fear of taking too much off.

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel the same way--wetsanding takes off a minute amount of material from the wrap; hard to believe that it would compromise its structural integrity. It is a bit anxiety-producing, I'll admit. I think mine're coming out okay; definitely a big improvement over what I started out with.............marko

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wraps crack because they're thin and sensitive to contraction and expansion. The stratas, onyxs and mardi gras type finishes are pretty thin and wet sanding makes them thinner.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
How do you deal with the seam area? Is there an issue with the "bump" created by the wrap seam leading to uneven spots?

Latest posts