We've Never Tackled The Greatest Drumming Movies of All Time?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
It’s a couple years old, so what updates does Electronic Drum Advisor’s "11 Great Drumming Movies" need? …

Vistalite Black nominates the Oscar-winning “Sound of Metal,” the beloved “Step-Brothers” and “Some Kind of Wonderful” starring my 1996 crush, Mary Stuart Masterson, as Watts the Drummer.

Please add your additions/reviews.

11. The Strip (1951: Mickey Rooney, Sally Forrest).
Short-statured drummer dreams of opening an LA music club, tangles with the mob.

10. The Drummer (2007)
Hong Kong rock drummer tangles with the mob, gets into a more spiritual drumming style.

9. The Mambo Kings (1992: Armand Assante, Antonio Bandares)
Two Cuban brothers introduce a new music to the 1950s U.S. Get a little Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina and Sandra in their life.

8. Beware of Mr. Baker (2012 documentary).
Ginger Baker cracks documentarian in the head with a cane. Hard!

7. Ain’t In It for My Health: Levon Helm. (2010 documentary)
Nice drummer makes first studio album in 25 years.

6. That Thing You Do (1992: Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler, Charlize Theron)
A ‘60s band become one-hit wonders.

5. Sound of Noise (2010)
Swedish cop tracks down a group of guerilla percussionists.

4. Birdman (2014: Michael Keaton, Zach Galafankis, Edward Norton)
The score is Antonio Sánchez playing drums in a way that makes me nervous.

3. Whiplash (2014: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons)
“Not quite my tempo” isn’t what you want to hear from the guy in the State Farm ads.

2. A Drummer’s Dream (2010 documentary)
Have I seen this?

1. The Gene Krupa Story (1959: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner).
A “Behind the Music” dramatization that pre-dated MTV by almost three decades.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
So glad to see that Drumline (2002) is not on the list. I'm sure the normies loved it, but to me it was hot garbage.

Ask an actual fighter pilot what they think of the movie Top Gun, and you'll get the same reaction. They'll laugh at you.

New fighter pilot recruits at the Top Gun school are told not to even mention the movie, ever...or they'll get hazed. That's how cringeworthy it is to them, lol.

As someone who was in drumline and follows DCI, this movie was embarrassing.

Last edited:

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like most of the above movies, esp the Krupa story but I would have to say my favorite drumming movie is
"The Drummer" (not the one listed above) starring the late Dave Ratajczak.

It has been discussed a bit here on this forum, it seems to resonate with people on a number of different levels.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Strike Up the Band.
Another Mickey Rooney Movie.
Not so much drums, specifically, but he is the drummer.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
All Night Long. The main character is a Jazz drummer up to no good in an effort to start his own band.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to be a lifeguard and Baywatch was cringe worthy.
Crystal clear water on the west coast combined with folks in shorts swimming in 55 degree water used to make be shake my head in disbelief.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the movie that changed it all for me. The movie was the computer hacking movie "Swordfish". If you know anything about computers or hacking at all, it's one of the most ridiculous depictions of it ever...but you know what? Hacking in real life is actually really boring. Or at least it would be excruciating to watch someone actually doing it. So I decided then and there that I was just going to enjoy the damn movie. And now I just know I'm going to suspend my disbelief and have a nice time.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I liked Whiplash, don't care what anyone says.
I like Whiplash too. As long as you realize that the band director character is way over the top. No director is that much of a jerk, but I guess it makes the movie more intense.

Reaction score
"The Rhythmatist," A film by Stewart Copeland.
"Hail Hail Rock and Roll."

I don't know if these would "qualify,"
But...

"One Trick Pony," "Blues Brothers," "Buena Vista Social Club."

And I'll challenge anyone to tell me exactly why I would put "Cat Chaser" on this list.
MSG

BoomBoom

Reaction score
So glad to see that Drumline (2002) is not on the list. I'm sure the normies loved it, but to me it was hot garbage.

Ask an actual fighter pilot what they think of the movie Top Gun, and you'll get the same reaction. They'll laugh at you.

New fighter pilot recruits at the Top Gun school are told not to even mention the movie, ever...or they'll get hazed. That's how cringeworthy it is to them, lol.

Oh man, I love Drum line. A movie where the drummers are heroes. Sure its not technically correct, but it had some great lines. I love the director. "I don't know what the beef is between you two but you better grill it up and eat it.". "You like sound of your own drum over the sound of the section."

It contrasted the 2 theories of music performance. Is it about the music ("hit 'em with Flight of the Bumblebee), or the show as the rival director believed.

And, it wasn't DCI. It was southern black colleges.