We've Never Tackled The Greatest Drumming Movies of All Time?

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, Grohl was good as a drumming devil in Pick of Destiny.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been watching Secret Agent/Danger Man lately, and I've watched The Prisoner. That's way better than the musical mime work most actors do.

Redfern

Reaction score
“Jazz on a Summer’s Day” is excellent. Great footage and great recordings. Even though it’s a Doc. it still watches like a movie.
A049DF9A-DF6A-4EE8-BFB3-14D3C20FFE88.jpeg

Also, “Django”, a French film with subtitles, but lots of great drumming scenes. They even used period correct kits...for the most part!
7FFA6AD6-9F55-4BB5-AA05-4D5F855F9408.jpeg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad to see that Drumline (2002) is not on the list. I'm sure the normies loved it, but to me it was hot garbage.

Ask an actual fighter pilot what they think of the movie Top Gun, and you'll get the same reaction. They'll laugh at you.

New fighter pilot recruits at the Top Gun school are told not to even mention the movie, ever...or they'll get hazed. That's how cringeworthy it is to them, lol.

As someone who was in drumline and follows DCI, this movie was embarrassing.

Hey, it’s the same with almost all flicks. They’re entertainment, not real life. My dad helped make The Secret of the Incas and ask me as a Peruvian archaeologist if it is remotely accurate. Or how about Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull or any Indiana Jones movie for that matter. Isaw the premier of IJ and the Crystal Skull in Trujillo, Peru with twenty other archaeologists and we never laughed so hard. Accurate? No. Fun? Yes.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the nomination of Mickey Rooney in Strike Up The Band. He owes the owner of those drums a new set of splash cymbals....lol.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a couple years old, so what updates does Electronic Drum Advisor’s "11 Great Drumming Movies" need? …

Vistalite Black nominates the Oscar-winning “Sound of Metal,” the beloved “Step-Brothers” and “Some Kind of Wonderful” starring my 1996 crush, Mary Stuart Masterson, as Watts the Drummer.

Please add your additions/reviews.

11. The Strip (1951: Mickey Rooney, Sally Forrest).
Short-statured drummer dreams of opening an LA music club, tangles with the mob.

10. The Drummer (2007)
Hong Kong rock drummer tangles with the mob, gets into a more spiritual drumming style.

9. The Mambo Kings (1992: Armand Assante, Antonio Bandares)
Two Cuban brothers introduce a new music to the 1950s U.S. Get a little Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina and Sandra in their life.

8. Beware of Mr. Baker (2012 documentary).
Ginger Baker cracks documentarian in the head with a cane. Hard!

7. Ain’t In It for My Health: Levon Helm. (2010 documentary)
Nice drummer makes first studio album in 25 years.

6. That Thing You Do (1992: Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler, Charlize Theron)
A ‘60s band become one-hit wonders.

5. Sound of Noise (2010)
Swedish cop tracks down a group of guerilla percussionists.

4. Birdman (2014: Michael Keaton, Zach Galafankis, Edward Norton)
The score is Antonio Sánchez playing drums in a way that makes me nervous.

3. Whiplash (2014: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons)
“Not quite my tempo” isn’t what you want to hear from the guy in the State Farm ads.

2. A Drummer’s Dream (2010 documentary)
Have I seen this?

1. The Gene Krupa Story (1959: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner).
A “Behind the Music” dramatization that pre-dated MTV by almost three decades.

I have an original movie poster from your #1 on that list. It's in reasonably good shape too.

stefanwegner

Reaction score
By far, the best Drum Movie ever is a tie...between "Back to Basics" and "The Next Step". They both focus on the plight of a modern day hero on his quest to make the world feel less secure about their own abilities. Starring a lithe and coiffured young Dave Weckl as himself, each cinematic opus delves deeper into the psyche of a superhuman man-machine as he travels a challenging road fraught with the challenges civilization must face in order to ascend to a higher level of consciousness.
Like a modern-day David staring down the Goliath of unattainable technical facility, otherworldly dynamic range and improbable independence, Weckl shows us that in order to save humanity, there is no backing down and no turning back. His example to us all is that if you don't find the fire in your heart, you'll never be able to rip the sleeves off your t-shirt and wear the smooth bottomed drumming shoes that light kick pedals on fire with blistering 32 notes.
When the world witnessed these two epic masterpieces, they awakened the power within (editor's note: "Awaken the Power Within" was the original title for the first movie), charging headlong into the exercises that forced open new neural pathways in human development.
Of course, no one ever achieved the purest of Weckl sound. Because, like "The Highlander" character that Weckl himself is based on, there can only be one.
And maybe that's the real lesson here. I knew, from my own viewings of these contemporary classics, that I would be destined to become a better middle manager at a plumbing supplies warehouse than a drummer. I have Dave Weckl's movie magic to thank for that. Thank you, Dave Weckl Movie Magic™.

604Pete

Reaction score
It’s a couple years old, so what updates does Electronic Drum Advisor’s "11 Great Drumming Movies" need? …

Vistalite Black nominates the Oscar-winning “Sound of Metal,” the beloved “Step-Brothers” and “Some Kind of Wonderful” starring my 1996 crush, Mary Stuart Masterson, as Watts the Drummer.

Please add your additions/reviews.

11. The Strip (1951: Mickey Rooney, Sally Forrest).
Short-statured drummer dreams of opening an LA music club, tangles with the mob.

10. The Drummer (2007)
Hong Kong rock drummer tangles with the mob, gets into a more spiritual drumming style.

9. The Mambo Kings (1992: Armand Assante, Antonio Bandares)
Two Cuban brothers introduce a new music to the 1950s U.S. Get a little Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina and Sandra in their life.

8. Beware of Mr. Baker (2012 documentary).
Ginger Baker cracks documentarian in the head with a cane. Hard!

7. Ain’t In It for My Health: Levon Helm. (2010 documentary)
Nice drummer makes first studio album in 25 years.

6. That Thing You Do (1992: Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler, Charlize Theron)
A ‘60s band become one-hit wonders.

5. Sound of Noise (2010)
Swedish cop tracks down a group of guerilla percussionists.

4. Birdman (2014: Michael Keaton, Zach Galafankis, Edward Norton)
The score is Antonio Sánchez playing drums in a way that makes me nervous.

3. Whiplash (2014: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons)
“Not quite my tempo” isn’t what you want to hear from the guy in the State Farm ads.

WORST drumming movie ever. I have never found teenage angst, bleeding hands and a drill Sargeant ever improved my technique. Never mind “faster, faster Boy!!”

2. A Drummer’s Dream (2010 documentary)
Have I seen this?

1. The Gene Krupa Story (1959: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner).
A “Behind the Music” dramatization that pre-dated MTV by almost three decades.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If we're talking about drumming performances in movies that aren't otherwise about music, you can't beat this scene from 1941's Ball of Fire featuring Gene. (P.S. Barbara Stanwyck does her own singing.)
Stanwyck is a favorite actress of mine, but an uncredited Martha Tilton actually provided the vocal talent for this film. Martha Tilton - IMDb

My favorite drumming movie has got to be that one featuring John Bonham.
It's got those three other dudes in it as well, and even though they weigh it down a bit, the drumming protagonist more than makes up for their shortcomings.

Edward

Reaction score
I like most of the above movies, esp the Krupa story but I would have to say my favorite drumming movie is
"The Drummer" (not the

It has been discussed a bit here on this forum, it seems to resonate with people on a number of different levels.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stanwyck is a favorite actress of mine, but an uncredited Martha Tilton actually provided the vocal talent for this film. Martha Tilton - IMDb

My favorite drumming movie has got to be that one featuring John Bonham.
It's got those three other dudes in it as well, and even though they weigh it down a bit, the drumming protagonist more than makes up for their shortcomings.
I've read that about Tilton dubbing for Stanwyck, but to me the singing in Ball of Fire just doesn't sound like Tilton's voice.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've read that about Tilton dubbing for Stanwyck, but to me the singing in Ball of Fire just doesn't sound like Tilton's voice.
To me, there's nothing in the performance of BoF that sounds like Stanwyk.
Her distinctive speaking voice is discernable in her signing voice, Here's an example: