We've Never Tackled The Greatest Drumming Movies of All Time?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, there's nothing in the performance of BoF that sounds like Stanwyk.
Her distinctive speaking voice is discernable in her signing voice, Here's an example:

Ha! I've never seen that before. The most distinctive thing that comes through in her singing in that clip is her Brooklyn accent! After seeing this you may indeed be right about Tilton singing in Ball of Fire.

Reactions: Hop

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like most of the above movies, esp the Krupa story but I would have to say my favorite drumming movie is
"The Drummer" (not the one listed above) starring the late Dave Ratajczak.

It has been discussed a bit here on this forum, it seems to resonate with people on a number of different levels.
I love this short movie, an all time favorite. Haven't seen it in awhile, thanks for posting.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lack of realism isn't what made "Baywatch" bad.

The “unbelievable” band guy won an Oscar for his performance.

To me, it rang true there would be a band director who combined the old school tactics of football coach Woody Hayes with the verbal cruelty of Buddy Rich.
My daughter danced ballet at Lincoln Center as a youngster, especially the Nutcracker from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and it was very much like Whiplash. Very tough, very disciplined, very football-camp like. It scared me to be honest! Her instructor demanded perfection. Even the way she presented herself demanded respect. So while Whiplash was a bit over the top, it wasn't in the very unbelievable category at all. That's why NY is NY.

IVER

Reaction score
"The Rhythmatist," A film by Stewart Copeland.
"Hail Hail Rock and Roll."

I don't know if these would "qualify,"
But...

"One Trick Pony," "Blues Brothers," "Buena Vista Social Club."

And I'll challenge anyone to tell me exactly why I would put "Cat Chaser" on this list.
MSG
As someone who made his living playing music, One Trick Pony and The Fabulous Baker Boys (alas, no drumming in this one) are the two best movies for capturing a musician's life. Of course, both films are decades old now, made at a time when there were live-music gigs.