header.nohb.html

We've Never Tackled The Greatest Drumming Movies of All Time?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, there's nothing in the performance of BoF that sounds like Stanwyk.
Her distinctive speaking voice is discernable in her signing voice, Here's an example:

Ha! I've never seen that before. The most distinctive thing that comes through in her singing in that clip is her Brooklyn accent! After seeing this you may indeed be right about Tilton singing in Ball of Fire.

Reactions: Hop

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like most of the above movies, esp the Krupa story but I would have to say my favorite drumming movie is
"The Drummer" (not the one listed above) starring the late Dave Ratajczak.

It has been discussed a bit here on this forum, it seems to resonate with people on a number of different levels.
I love this short movie, an all time favorite. Haven't seen it in awhile, thanks for posting.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lack of realism isn't what made "Baywatch" bad.

The “unbelievable” band guy won an Oscar for his performance.

To me, it rang true there would be a band director who combined the old school tactics of football coach Woody Hayes with the verbal cruelty of Buddy Rich.

My daughter danced ballet at Lincoln Center as a youngster, especially the Nutcracker from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and it was very much like Whiplash. Very tough, very disciplined, very football-camp like. It scared me to be honest! Her instructor demanded perfection. Even the way she presented herself demanded respect. So while Whiplash was a bit over the top, it wasn't in the very unbelievable category at all. That's why NY is NY.

IVER

Reaction score
"The Rhythmatist," A film by Stewart Copeland.
"Hail Hail Rock and Roll."

I don't know if these would "qualify,"
But...

"One Trick Pony," "Blues Brothers," "Buena Vista Social Club."

And I'll challenge anyone to tell me exactly why I would put "Cat Chaser" on this list.
MSG
As someone who made his living playing music, One Trick Pony and The Fabulous Baker Boys (alas, no drumming in this one) are the two best movies for capturing a musician's life. Of course, both films are decades old now, made at a time when there were live-music gigs.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As someone who made his living playing music, One Trick Pony and The Fabulous Baker Boys (alas, no drumming in this one) are the two best movies for capturing a musician's life. Of course, both films are decades old now, made at a time when there were live-music gigs.
The Fabuous Baker Boys....remains a great movie. I watch it once a year. :)

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a couple years old, so what updates does Electronic Drum Advisor’s "11 Great Drumming Movies" need? …

Vistalite Black nominates the Oscar-winning “Sound of Metal,” the beloved “Step-Brothers” and “Some Kind of Wonderful” starring my 1996 crush, Mary Stuart Masterson, as Watts the Drummer.

Please add your additions/reviews.

11. The Strip (1951: Mickey Rooney, Sally Forrest).
Short-statured drummer dreams of opening an LA music club, tangles with the mob.

10. The Drummer (2007)
Hong Kong rock drummer tangles with the mob, gets into a more spiritual drumming style.

9. The Mambo Kings (1992: Armand Assante, Antonio Bandares)
Two Cuban brothers introduce a new music to the 1950s U.S. Get a little Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina and Sandra in their life.

8. Beware of Mr. Baker (2012 documentary).
Ginger Baker cracks documentarian in the head with a cane. Hard!

7. Ain’t In It for My Health: Levon Helm. (2010 documentary)
Nice drummer makes first studio album in 25 years.

6. That Thing You Do (1992: Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler, Charlize Theron)
A ‘60s band become one-hit wonders.

5. Sound of Noise (2010)
Swedish cop tracks down a group of guerilla percussionists.

4. Birdman (2014: Michael Keaton, Zach Galafankis, Edward Norton)
The score is Antonio Sánchez playing drums in a way that makes me nervous.

3. Whiplash (2014: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons)
“Not quite my tempo” isn’t what you want to hear from the guy in the State Farm ads.

2. A Drummer’s Dream (2010 documentary)
Have I seen this?

1. The Gene Krupa Story (1959: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner).
A “Behind the Music” dramatization that pre-dated MTV by almost three decades.

Whiplash should be stricken from our collective memories and relegated to the trash bin where it belongs.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TL, DNR: Have we covered "Beware of Mr. Baker" in this thread? Without a doubt the greatest drummer biography ever committed to film.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
Whiplash is great , you just need to disassociate the real world of music school from cinema fiction. It gets ripped hard by those believing Chazelle is trying to portray it as realism.

That being said I actually prefer 'The Eddy' (same director to a point) which might not be about drummers per se but has quite a bit of actual and great drumming played by real life jazz mjusicians, not actors and a fantastic story line. Lada Obradovic has quite a few strong moments in the arc and her playing is top notch. In a way I feel The Eddy is redemption for Chazelle.

Last edited: